Usogui - Vol. 44 Ch. 478 - My Invincible Darling

Dex-chan lover
Hello, thanks for your hard work. However it seemed like we're skipping a few hundred volumes here :p

Double-page supporter
grandpa's secret is that he's 1/5 of a completed voltron

Fed-Kun's army
oh my, didn't know that referee battle need around 400 vol to completely capture it. What an epic game of battle royale indeed.

Dex-chan lover
Midara and his JoJo posing is great. If he can beat old man Nowa, he'll have the most handkerchiefs. Though now he'll have to contend with the fact that Nowa can actually walk.

Dex-chan lover
What Veshy said, i was joking, but i forgot to put context.

The chapter numbers and volume were flipped, making this volume 478, chapter 44 when this was freshly uploaded.

It's fixed now

@flabadyflue

Double-page supporter
That's nice that Nowa Shion is a nice person and his father in law and wife both approve of him. I wonder if elder Nowa will stand.

Is this building to Midara vs Kadokura? That would be sick considering how much time we've spent with both of them.

Dex-chan lover
Well now we will never know how strong serious Shion would be, damn you drug cocktail damn you!

So we have a Yandere referee and a Tsundere refereee who doesn't want to openly give his handkerchief to Yakou lmao.

the fights are cool, but i still think the plot, around it, is stupid.

Seems like only Kyara, Yakou's brothers, and Ying are the referee without weird persona antic ? or did i miss it for them ? they seems to have a rather normal and collected personality...

Does the author want to tell us that strong people are fuck up in the head ? 😂
I dont quite remember a strong character without a mental issue ( for a lack of a better word ) or some "issues" going on with them. From Marco to Jonglyo all of them had something "wrong" aside from the ones i mentioned ealier.

@Solano
I think Bai Long, Tatsuki and Manabe would also qualify as regular. But yeah this manga does have a ton of fucked up characters.
Aside from that, even the gamblers are all weird. Floyd lee, Kaji and Amako may be the only normal gamblers in the series

Fed-Kun's army
Midara continuing his quest to beat up the entire Nowa family. I loved the callbacks to Midara vs Mitora in this fight.

@Solano
Kyara had a very aggressive personality. Remember how in the earlier chapters he would threaten to hurt Kaji because he couldn't stand how incompetent he was? (and also he was mad at himself for hating Kaji). Also he was a huge tsundere, and so is Yakou A, haha. Speaking of that, Yakou B is also very aggressive and he seems to have a complex about his brother. Kyara and Yakou are are also obsessed with violence and fighting (Yakou A also has a thing for violence seeing how he loves his job as a "debt collector" and how crazy he got while destroying the cabin Ideal was hiding in. Though his is more subdued I guess).
If by "weird persona antic" you mean like a "character quirk" they all have one. Kyara and Yakou B's I would say are related to how aggressive they are, so maybe an exact "quirk" is harder to pin down. Yakou A's quirk is probably his insistence to make coffee even though he is terrible at it. Mitaka's "quirky aspect" is her catchphrase, "BOY" (it's in English in the Japanese version so it's probably harder to notice in the translation).
So anyway, I definitely would not say Kyara, or the two Yakou brothers have a "normal and collected" personality. The only one that might fit for is Mitaka. Which makes sense because she basically lost everything so she more or less just goes with the wind and doesn't have any loyalties (off topic but now that I think about it, it's similar to Suteguma....) Though I guess she has times when she gets mad or aggressive but its a lot more subdued compared to the other three.

I never really thought about if the character "quirks" had any like thematic purpose. I just assumed they were to create interesting/memorable/characters that stand out. As anime/manga characters are usually very weird/quirky. But imo, the Usogui characters manage to stand out and be "quirky" without falling into any of the usual anime/manga character tropes. So I like them for that. Kinda went off topic there...

Dex-chan lover
@Solano While I agree that the plot around some fights are stupid, I don't think it's that weird that most fighters in the series are weird. I'd say that the point is more that everyone has something that makes them weird, and like @Ghetsis mentioned Kyara is also "weird" or "fucked up", you think growing up in the slums fighting for his life every day had a positive impact on his mental health, lol? Also Yakou is pretty fucking insane. You think a "normal" person can embody Kakerou's philosophy and thoughtlessly slaughter people for breaking their rules? He's a literal assassin despite being old, you gotta be pretty crazy to do that. Even the gamblers are "crazy" in different ways. While Kaji may seem normal at first, we all know how much of an impact his traumatic childhood had on him, to the point where he was about to die on the Floyd Lee gamble for it; just because what makes the characters crazy isn't over the top doesn't make them normal. From my perspective, the point is that everyone has something that makes them abnormal, it's just a matter of degree and category.

Anyway, as much as I enjoy some referee action, this part seems quite silly to me. It's like Sako's last bit of action fanservice before the finale, I guess? It just seems a bit random so I'm not enjoying it that much, I suppose. I hope Surpassing the Leader doesn't disappoint.

Dex-chan lover
This is good, but there're too many 1v1s.

#1: Coliseum box (250 or so)
#2: Free-for-all (108-111?)

Users who are viewing this thread