Usogui - Vol. 48 Ch. 525 - The Second Signal

Fed-Kun's army
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't leap seconds announced months in advance? I mean, Souichi would normally take even something so minute into consideration, right? And from the looks of it in this chapter he seemed to have catched on. So is it really just a win through memory loss?

Also, I'm still bothered by the fact Souichi ask Yakou to explain the rules to him once he woke up. Did he always know the exact time he'd lose his memory? Because he seemed to there. So what's the deal? Did he not have a contingency plan for that occasion?

Don't get me wrong, it's a crazy play by Baku, but my expectations for Souichi have me a bit miffed by it all. I don't know if I'm entirely convinced.

Everyone is forgetting the amount of planning Baku did to utilise thr leap second. As Baku likes to plant seeds everywhere, the leap second was one of them. To be able to use that second and to have an appropriate game for it and to have your turn at that exact time requires a planning that even Batman can't pull. On top of all that everyone is saying stuff about memory loss but it was also something planned by Baku and if you think memory loss is bullshit i call That Echolocation a Bullshit Asspull. If you are hyped by one get hyped by the other also. This is the beauty of Usogui manga as a whole as The Characters will utilise anything to get an upperhand and not to forget they are gambling and Luck is an integral part of it. Damnn i wrote a rant. FUCKKK I'LL MISS USOGUI!!!

Dex-chan lover
While the manga is a great one, I have to agree with some other posters
The leap second
The echolocation bullshit
The fact that leader understands but then forgets.

Yes it's super cool, I won't lie. But they're too much of unbelieavable asspulls. Especially the fact that in order to use the leap second he literally has to make it sure the deciding round ends precisely when the leap second happens. And the fact that the leader knew and then forgot, which means Usogui basically only won because of the amnesia bullshit.

I would have liked a more.... normal strategy so to speak, one that does not rely on such esoteric things and that could have been executed without the leader forgetting. A strategy, basically, that was more normal but 100% due to brain power and being cunning.
Instead this feels.... cheap in a way. Because it's really too unbelieavable even for Usogui.

Power Uploader
@saxifraga
The contingency plan is to have Yakou explain the rules to him.
If you're talking about a contingency plan for not forgetting about the leap second,
like I said, he figured everything out during his second near-death dream, so it was too late for him to do anything about it.
@Nehona
Baku knew Souichi would lose his memory today.(https://mangadex.org/chapter/721558/3)

Contributor
I can't wait until the next chapters reveal even more foreshadowing and planning that was done in advance. Makes one wonder how far back Usogui planned this.
All this for one second? Jesus. Everything had to align so perfectly and with an incredible amount of luck and logic involved. Imagine if Baku never even got a turn with a leap second.

@a2j04vm0

your spoiler is also some asspull, tbh.. Assuming Baku got the information that Leader lose his memory every one month, it's pretty insane ( not to say retarded ) to even be able to get the EXACT hour it happens. the whole month memory loss was just an approximation to begin with... nothing more.

Also, the whole point is that he's a gambler. Winning against the leader should be impossible, so he'll gamble everything on a single unlikely set of events that'll grant him victory.

He doesn't look to maximise his chances of success, but just to get any chance at all.

Dex-chan lover
I mentioned @a2j04vm0 's spoiler when I was writing my prediction for this gamble's trick some chapters ago, obviously I missed the exact trick being the leap second, but the hints I pointed out are still valid, and the fact that Baku knew about Leader's memory loss meant that as soon as he won against Lalo and the gamble was decided (bear in mind that Yakou was basically in cahoots with Baku the whole time, telling him the game they were playing and all, so it wouldn't have been hard to organize the game to be long enough for the leap second to come into play for Baku) it all turned into a gamble where all that was left for Baku to do was to perfectly manage his time so that the end of Leader's check happened during the leap second, which came down to even the most minute interactions we saw that were mainly in order to manage his time, which is totally doable. This is not as far-fetched as people seem to believe it is, and definitely not too far-fetched for Usogui, of all manga. The foreshadowing was always there of course, and as I mentioned in my prediction comment, the rule about how the clock sound is superior to everything else played the crucial role, so the trick being the discrepancy between the time and the speaking clock was also foreseeable. Now, why does it matter if the trick was a leap second or some tampering with the clock itself? I feel like this trick is just crazy enough to be perfectly fitting for the crazy gambler's last trick (if the match is over, and if it even is his last trick), so it's kind of nonsensical to be upset now about the ridiculousness of the situation. The echolocation as well is not as far-fetched as it seemed, and it makes sense considering Leader's character, I mean, what else did you expect from a super genius whose only weakness was a memory problem? All in all, I enjoyed the ride, and am looking forward to the rest of it now. Let's see if this is even the last act of this game, because even though they said that 5 minutes is the limit, we never know how things will actually turn out...

Edit: There's still a few unexplained things I'm curious about, like the meaning of the blood on Baku's pants, whether or not he was in Eba's building the day of his death, and what the significance of it all was, etc...

If i know i'm about to lose the memory of a leap second i would write it in the wall with my blood or something, i don't think yakou would tell me due to his neutral role

Dex-chan lover
In short, Kiruma knew SOMETHING was up and could pinpoint it to the leap second but he himself didn't think Usogui would have a chance to use it, then screwed himself over by switching to Hal who had ZERO idea about the leap second

Users who are viewing this thread