Usogui - Vol. 49 Ch. 539 - Plan A

Fed-Kun's army
Wooah. It been a long ride. Firstly, thank you Team Duwang for translating Usogui! We really can't thank you enough, not many scanlation team will put that much effort into explaining the confusing storyline like in the Tower arc and the Protoporos arc. As well as explaining some of the foreshadowing as well. Glad to see you guys loving this manga as much as we do!

Ok, so now there's lots of stuff going on in this last chapter. Just when I thought I'm starting to understand Baku more this chapter changes everything. There's a really big implication if Gonen's appearance was due to Baku's heart, and that is Baku could have also got some of Gonen's traits due to Gonen's heart. This explain why Baku hair is white while his eyebrows are black, and it bring up an important question of who actually is Baku. Since it's possible that right now, Baku and Gonen are a mixture of both themselves and the other. Then the gambler Baku, the "Usogui", does he really exist? It's possible that Gonen's heart created the genius gambler Usogui. Also thoughout the manga, it say that a man who keep winning does not exist. Assuming Usogui is due to Gonen's heart. So at the end, when Baku got his heart back, Usogui will died, and hence the man who keep winning will no longer exist.

I still have lots of questions, but I understand the mangaka is leaving this open ended. Still I'm not ready to let go of Usogui, the last few chapters was hyping up so much. I genuinely think there's enough story left for a sequel, but considering Batuque is ongoing that's unlikely to happen. Guess it's time for a reread, and wait for the possible Usogui spin off. I still very much enjoy the ending. It's been a crazy ride, and now it's over.

Eiz

I feel like there was more planned story but the mangaka wanted it to end so he created ending and gave hints of would be continuation. I enjoyed protopos so much. Thanks for s translations. It was a ride until the end. I really thought kaji and marco were depressed and burned out.. One last time i get fooled.

Many thanks for the translation to the Team Duwang.
I had a question for a long time, and I kept waiting for manga to answer it. But it looks like there won't be any new content, so I'll ask that question here.
Who was the first-class passenger in Chapter 272?

Thank you so much Team Duwang!
For picking this series up and giving the end that all of us long time readers have been waiting for.

If not, we would really have been stuck in the labyrinth with Baku & Friends till the end of time (' Ɐ ' )

Double-page supporter
Awesome ending to an awesome manga. Legit one of the best mangas I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Stands on its own when compared to great gambling manga too. Tons of twists and foreshadowing, well-crafted gambles, and an interesting story that only got better as it went along. There were a few things I wish had ended differently (I feel like there could have been more time devoted to the Oofuna plot leading into the Vices), but I'm used to gambling mangas having much worse endings and being much more inconclusive than this, so I'm happy. The final chapter was great; truly the greatest prince bee duo is standing together.

I guess I should pick up Batuque, though I've been holding off because I much preferred the gambles to the battling in this manga.

I'll definitely miss the manga, but I might miss discussing it with everyone more. Getting to discuss and theorize the developments as if the manga was actually releasing was a fantastic experience. Made better by Team Duwang's efforts in their batch releases and pointing out foreshadowing/language/etc. Thank you so much for all your hard work, Team Duwang. Best scanlation team ever.

I looked at the chapter count yesterday and it said 541. Went on a different site, said 541 chapters as well. Now it's 539...

Anyway, when EGS dropped this, I feared I would never see the ending of this. Thanks Team Duwang for sticking with it for so long.

Thank you so much for continuing to the end Team Duwang, especially after 49 volumes and all the notes you've left us, this is a passion project I'll never forget.

Wonder if there's another project other than Batuque or if the earlier chapters will be re-released. Definitely will be reading this series from start to finish again to pick up on all the smaller details.

Fed-Kun's army
I already read the JPN of this chapter a while ago, but I still cried reading the translation ;_;!!! Thank you so much TD for picking up this series and giving the readers something to regularly look forward to for the past two years <3!!!! I'm feeling a lot of emotions rn, a very bittersweet feeling.

One thing I wanted to point out beforehand, (this was brought up to me by a Japanese friend), in ch 537 https://mangadex.org/chapter/1083340/15 the "your" is actually plural! So in that sense it is both Baku and Hal's destiny to become the biggest evils!!!

It's fun that ch 15 is "Plan B" while this is "Plan A" https://mangadex.org/chapter/204571/3
Also 375 "Plan B of Conspiracy" https://mangadex.org/chapter/769479/16 (are there any other "Plan _" mentions? I can't remember atm)

And if you look at the past two chapters you can see hints that Gonen looks like Baku! (That is why Touya and Midara were shocked when looking at him last chapter!) One funny thing is that the idea of Gonen being Baku's father was a popular fan theory for JP readers. I think it came from the similar appearance, as well as the "welcome back" line, would could also be interpreted as like "welcome home," I think. So I was expecting some of that speculative here, but there was none haha, though that's probably for the best.

On one hand I really want to see Baku and Hal battle Vehizoma and the Vices, but I can also understand why it ended this way, as the whole story is about "surpassing the leader," which he did.

There's also no way this manga was axed imo because 1. despite it being relatively obscure, iirc new volumes still regularly made the weekly sales charts (and Batuque doesn't seem to be doing as well) 2. iirc sensei said in an interview that he already used the majority of his game ideas, so it seems he was indeed planning to end it like this.

I guess if I have one criticism of the ending it's how Kaji never escaped the "Baku lackey" role. Which is why I really liked the idea of him going off doing conspiracies with Floyd.... Though the Madarame Family being back makes me happy! I wonder how long poor Kaji and Marco had to live like they did in the beginning?

One thing abt Kaji that my previously mentioned friend also brought up, is that part of Kaji's role as "Baku's successor" was actually a way to make readers think that Baku would possibly die, getting rid of the one weakness of life and death gambling manga in that's its mostly obvious the protagonist will live (or more like "they will win because losing means death and they can't die"). Which is genius imo, and it did really work. There was actually a big hint Baku lives in the chapter Yukiide wakes up, as he is still shown asleep in the hospital in 317/the dth chapter he appeared in (which both take place in the winter). While the chapter he wakes up is in the spring, meaning it's a flashforward to after StL2.

And thanks for including that chart at the end!! (the last one... ;_;) Iirc that fight happened in 2015, so that means there's like an around 6 year timeskip between this chapter and the previous.

Anyway Usogui is the best found family story <3 So happy that Kakerou is now an ally and Baku and Hal can fight together again (like in 1998 and Air Poker). Hal's speech is especially beautiful (I want to know the rest...) and was the part I was looking most forward to seeing translated!!
I think I rambled alot but I'm hoping some of my comments helped ppl to better understand parts of the ending/story in general!!

Jei

Thank you, Team Duwang. Interesting things you're posting here guys, I'll have to read the last chapters again.

@muran4ik
I think it's Caracal and the stewardess reuniting in some abstract afterlife/transition to the afterlife.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you so much for your hard work in bringing this masterpiece to us Team Duwang, I started reading Usogui back in 2008 and the project died multiple times until you came and saved the day, thank to you this manga has his place in my top 3.

Thanks again for the ride and I'll keep on thanking you in the Batuque comments!

First and foremost: thanks a lot team Duwang, for translating Usogui for all this time. You've done an amazing job, and we wouldn't be here without your extensive loyalty.

Usogui. What a series. I've got too much to say about this series for just one comment just now. What i appreciated the most about Usogui is the intelligent and refreshing script - although I feel like the ending was slightly predictable but fitting and conclusive, the author has decidedly and continuously pushed the limits of ingenuity and exciting writing.

Gonna add more

Best mangas in his genre ( gambling ) by far, and i've read a LOT of them ( webtoon/manhwa, mangas...)
This mangas is a 10/10 fucking gem. Really to bad, the gambling genre isnt that respected in West without all the waifu girl being crazy ( i mean, even a Kaji had a moderate succes compare to Kakerugui )
One of the best mangas i've read ( in my TOP 5 atm).

Sakio wrote one hell of the story.. this is an author that know how to use foreshadowing (im looking at you One Piece fans... 😶)

To think i started that story randomly because i was bored and looking for a new mangas interesting to read, then for like 2 years, all the team dropped it for no reason.. imagine how happy i found it in mangadex 1 years 1/2 ago. Damn, really thanks Team Duwang.

Now regarding this chapter, im quite happy to see that the usogui world is filled with even intellectual bigger fish than Lalo or Usogui himself... it's a good ending.

@muran4ik
It's Tatsuki Kiruma ( Leader's father). The plane and the flight attendant are an allegory representing the transition to the afterlife

Users who are viewing this thread