Usuzumi no Hate - Vol. 2 Ch. 12 - Siblings

Dex-chan lover
Meh. I like the original maudlin tone when the protag was alone. Having these annoying shonen cliche kids ruins the atmosphere.
Why though? Wasn't finding survivors the entire point? Wasn't that what the tension of this whole story was? Would rly suck if the author just kept us hoping for 50 chapters only to have us end up with nothing. And that shit would start getting really old fast.

HCO

Dex-chan lover
Why though? Wasn't finding survivors the entire point? Wasn't that what the tension of this whole story was? Would rly suck if the author just kept us hoping for 50 chapters only to have us end up with nothing. And that shit would start getting really old fast.
Series like this live and die over suspending that sense of tension. It becomes a matter of trying to operate within the constraints you've set yourself (ie. not finding other people). When the cat is out of the bag, it very rarely goes back in.

Dex-chan lover
Series like this live and die over suspending that sense of tension. It becomes a matter of trying to operate within the constraints you've set yourself (ie. not finding other people). When the cat is out of the bag, it very rarely goes back in.
But we already found a survivor a few chapters ago that could have lived, but decided to off himself. There was already a set precedence. Also, again, the thing you're describing gets old real fast. Why constrain this series to that category and those rules anyway? Why must a series like this live or die that way? A lot of us rather see some form of progress rather than just maintaining suspense for 100 chapters and making every chapter feel like it doesn't matter since nothing changes.

The series can still go in a direction that maintains this sort of suspense and atmosphere. Too early to say that it's ruined.

Dex-chan lover
I think I understand what chickenstalker is saying, though.

At first, we got a premise of "Humanity is extinct, all that's left is to lay it to rest., which is bleak and stark, but also poetic and melancholic. That's something similar to Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou or even Ginga no Shinanai Kodomotachi e.

But now, all of a sudden, we're given a "Find this survivor." plot. Which could be fine. While it's generic, that can be subverted.

But the problem is that these new characters are painfully generic: the slightly monstrous but still obviously cute pair, the pure-hearted well-meaning younger sister and gruff guarded older brother who's being an ass for no reason but to give a hurdle to overcome... Even the details around them are generic: the bandage around the head is a classic way to show an injury when the author has no idea of what kind of injury to depict (it could have been a sprained leg, which would have required a crutch to move around, and thus shown that he's incapacitated, giving all the more reason for him to feel trapped and reluctant); it's like a fatal disease being vaguely depicted as someone being bedridden, pale, and coughing (the famous Anime Disease). Another example is the food: why a generic manga porridge? Why not go for K rations, which would have made much more sense in a survivalist setting?

I know I'm kinda rambling, but when generic elements like that start piling up, it starts feeling less and less like a special story, and more and more like Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy #58. And the fact the protagonist is a cute immortal killing machine android girl doesn't help.

Dex-chan lover
I think I understand what chickenstalker is saying, though.

At first, we got a premise of "Humanity is extinct, all that's left is to lay it to rest., which is bleak and stark, but also poetic and melancholic. That's something similar to Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou or even Ginga no Shinanai Kodomotachi e.

But now, all of a sudden, we're given a "Find this survivor." plot. Which could be fine. While it's generic, that can be subverted.

But the problem is that these new characters are painfully generic: the slightly monstrous but still obviously cute pair, the pure-hearted well-meaning younger sister and gruff guarded older brother who's being an ass for no reason but to give a hurdle to overcome... Even the details around them are generic: the bandage around the head is a classic way to show an injury when the author has no idea of what kind of injury to depict (it could have been a sprained leg, which would have required a crutch to move around, and thus shown that he's incapacitated, giving all the more reason for him to feel trapped and reluctant); it's like a fatal disease being vaguely depicted as someone being bedridden, pale, and coughing (the famous Anime Disease). Another example is the food: why a generic manga porridge? Why not go for K rations, which would have made much more sense in a survivalist setting?

I know I'm kinda rambling, but when generic elements like that start piling up, it starts feeling less and less like a special story, and more and more like Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy #58. And the fact the protagonist is a cute immortal killing machine android girl doesn't help.
I get what you're saying, however finding survivors has always been the plot, not putting humanity to rest. Putting humanity to rest is a secondary goal and a consolation for not finding any survivors while doing her purification.

As for the food, imo that's a bad example 'cause it's not like she's in a military base. And with how super high tech the world is + humans being quickly nearly wiped out, there's def tons of preserved food out there.

As for "cute immortal killing machine android girl"... Idt it's that common in these stories. She doesn't even fit that description anyway ._. She's not even an android! xD She's basically a human with Wolverine's healing factor and immunity to the alien disease. I also wouldn't really describe her as a killing machine either.

Double-page supporter
Meh. I like the original maudlin tone when the protag was alone. Having these annoying shonen cliche kids ruins the atmosphere.
One of her missions is to find survivors, don't be surprised when survivors are found...

Dex-chan lover
One of her missions is to find survivors, don't be surprised when survivors are found...
It's less that survivors were found than the fact that they're an extremely cliche teenage boy with an attitude problem and his requisite younger sister. It completely brings you out of the previous mood and atmosphere of the series

Dex-chan lover
Love this manga, hope nothing bad happens to them.

Thank you for update!

Dex-chan lover
I agree that this changes the tone of the series significantly. Especially with these annoying character types. At the very least they reflected and resolved the animosity in about a chapter and for me I think Saya deserves to have some company after all shes been through

Users who are viewing this thread