Vacation Maou to Pet

@Zephyrus

Below. Blocking works fine, but this trash presented itself in "latest posts".

On an absolutely, totally unrelated note, i really do hope there's a limited number of "fuck-" derivatives that you can expel throughout your lifespan, and when you do, you drop dead, no questions asked.

Double-page supporter
>and her mother has sold her as a pet to the aforementioned Demon Lord.
Uhh where's the father? Why does this broad think she can pimp her daughter like that?
@Pokari
Like a genuine misunderstanding between the two lovers like in Pashiri na Boku to Koisuru Banchou?

Dex-chan lover
tenor.gif

Calling it: Mom is the hero, Demon King is actually her husband, they eloped to this world and this is all some fucked up way for Dad to return after some 'die and be reborn' trope to spend time with his daughter in the most [J A P A N] way possible.

Contributor
@MooPoint:

Technically the Japanese slang "yuri," and the English loanword "yuri," do not have perfectly overlapping meanings (at least not in all communities), and the tags that mangadex uses (i.e. those of Manga Updates and thence Batoto ) are from communities where those meanings are subtly divergent. Pertinently, to my understanding, "shoujo-ai" isn't a term in Japan (or at least not the same thing it is here; it's said to have rather unfortunate connotations when it is used) and "yuri" appears to cover both what we call shoujo-ai and what we call yuri.

The background reasons take a bit of getting into and it's actually quite a sticky problem (which is why I think we should break with tradition and do BL/GL tags instead of shounen-ai/yaoi, shoujo-ai/yuri, at the same time as adding a content maturity rating system—but I digress), as a result it's regrettably not quite as straightforward as "something tagged yuri in Japan should be tagged yuri on mangadex".

I'm not going to touch the tags on this personally, though, because I have no idea what it is or isn't.

Dex-chan lover
@Pokari:

Words get absorbed into languages "wrong" all the time. The French language has taken the word "weekend" from English. (And they usually spell it "week-end".) In Canadian French, le week-end refers to the same thing as it does in English--Saturday and Sunday. But in European French, le week-end refers to the end of the working week--Thursday and Friday.

Now one European francophone might say to the other "Technically, the English term 'weekend" and the French loanword 'week-end' do not have perfectly overlapping meanings, so let's use the traditional French term fin de semaine instead" and the other person would wonder WTF.

Japanese yuri and shoujo-ai have split from the English versions, and both versions are going to drift in different directions, completely independent of each other. There is no getting the band back together in this situation. Even if all English-speakers don't agree on exactly what each term encompasses, it's general enough to be functional...as opposed to trying to figure out a maturity rating system that everyone can agree on.

Contributor
@Thor:

I completely agree with everything you're saying.

The only real issue arises when using these words as "tags"—that is to say, as compact, context-less descriptors. Since they are designed to be, inasmuch as is possible, a well-understood, well-defined method of categorization, nailing down the subtleties of meaning matters a bit more.

Or, more pragmatically speaking, to illustrate my exact problem: In conversation, I don't care whether someone uses "shoujo-ai", "yuri", "GL", or "lesbian romance"; they all amount to pretty much the same thing in spirit.

But when I'm deciding whether or not to read a manga, whether or not I'm going to run into sexually explicit content is important to me—and for historical reasons, this information is in some cases represented by a "yuri" tag, and in other cases it is not. People use the term to mean different things. As such, I have a practical problem where opening manga with "yuri" tags feels a bit like walking through a minefield.

(Rundown of said "historical reasons": In using shounen-ai vs yaoi tags, sexually-explicit-or-not is the exact-and-precise distinction between the two; I assume this is because most people reading hentai don't want to see yaoi and most people reading yaoi don't want to see hentai, so some de-facto segregation occured. The problem is that "shoujo-ai" vs "yuri" tags pretty much existed to replicate that same split, but everyone uses it differently).

(There's also, granted, conceivably more than one way this particular problem could be solved or ameliorated; for instance, Mangadex is sort of missing one leg of the rating system it imported from Batoto, wherein Batoto had a generic flag for "mature" content that Mangadex decided not to implement—I think possibly under the mistaken assumption that everything "mature" would end up or belong in the R-18 section.)

Dex-chan lover
I can't get enough of Negi and the fluffy yuris between Monster and Human. Always to heal my soul.

Dex-chan lover
@HDMI1 Besides Beauty and the Beast Girl, Neji's work don't seem to be long in general so i'm assuming it doesn't get axed but rather Neji finish it like he wanted. Still too short to me tho.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, i think Neji could have done a few more chapters. At least we still have Heath&Lily.

Group Leader
While not the longest story out there, it was still very enjoyable to read – on top of a ton of cute fluff, of course.

Group Leader
Super cute, totally recommended!! The whole plot in the last three episodes... didn't serve much of a purpose, though, but I'll take it I guess?

Users who are viewing this thread