Villainess manga is dogshit, change my mind.

It's literally the same formula each time, the same pretty boy harem and shojou dogshit, they just keep fucking popping up and each time they are rated 8 or higher, even when there's only one fucking chapter, it'd be fine if it was only once in a while thing but no, either they're botting or these insufferable stans are immediately rating it as a ten. And the fans of this shit don't get me fucking started- I shit you not these fucktard twatter stans are in each of these comments creaming themselves over this overrated garbage.

@Ezweeb
https://mangadex.org/title/42822/the-holy-grail-of-eris
I believe this is different enough with the rest of this genre

But yea I agree that this trope has become something like isekai or OP returnee MC. You will get bored eventually... Artstyle sometimes influence how high your rating in romance story

No one is going to change your mind. It is SHIT.
But some people enjoy their shit, so let them have fun.

Aggregator gang
I do agree with your points and like you said it is shit, the same plots, 3d-structure castle models and pretty boy harem. But like @vinsegas said it's enjoyable shit for some people myself included but some of the shit isn't so bad compared to the rest and there are some real gems in that shit.

And the ratings and stans are tedious but it can be said for other genres(?) as well. Anyway, my point is no one needs to change your mind, most of the stuff being churned out is shit and so are some of the fans.

@Lo0py Then why is it treated any differently from the average generic shonen isekai? They’re pretty much the same thing, dogshit with few gems. I should be seeing the same amount of 5’s and 6’s being rated on these carbon copy villainess manga with titles like “iM thE BLack spIder ViLlAinesS bUt tHe sEcond Male Lead LOVES ME?????”

Contributor
@EzWeeb said:
pretty boy harem
There are some (mostly non-japanese) that either focus on the actual villainess stuff or don't have harem (but you may consider the first one as not being a villainess one).
And I agree, the main catch of stuff with a female protagonist tends to be the art, though there are some exceptions.

@Barbaschiuma
Somewhat agree, it mainly makes it trashy fun.

@kenx So basically, it’s trash, and everyone knows it’s trash, but you shove it down your content consoomer gullet anyway?

Dex-chan lover
Ratings on this site are absolutely busted, just look at the isekai genre.
It's the same shit re-hashed every time in such a shameless fashion that the title "I was an X but I got reborn in a fantasy world with Y powers!" is almost literally the title of over half the isekai catalogue.
And it's always the same escapist formula, always some harem for no reason, always some power that they think "aw this is useless, oh wait it's actually the best thing ever", always some victimization of the MC at first followed by redemption against the "odds."
And they all get 8+, for reasons I can't fathom.
It's all so tiresome, formulaic garbage always floats to the top.
To be complete transparent, I can't complain, I read a shit-ton of mindless fluff, it's my formulaic garbage of choice.

Dex-chan lover
@EzWeeb
with titles like “iM thE BLack spIder ViLlAinesS bUt tHe sEcond Male Lead LOVES ME?????”
This reminded me of the I trained an AI to make up new Romance manhwa/manhua names thread from a few months ago. While Villainess manga are big offenders of these kinds of titles, the titles are unfortunately not contained to them.

If reading a bad title could make me lose my appetite for reading, it would definitely happen with Beware of the Brothers!. That goes double for its alternate title: Beware of the Oppas!.

@pants Yeah, but it’s nowhere as bad as the villainess genre, go click on the tag now and try finding one under 7.

Group Leader
Considering the stuff I upload this probably comes across as strange, but most Villainess stuff is absolutely terrible. But so is most of everything, just need to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Dex-chan lover
alright dude, if you're a young girl you'll think differently. Shoujou manga has always been like this since the beginning, likewise for Shounen manga. That's why the more interesting manga would be in Seinen since it is technically gray zone for manga. They're just using the same 'template' in this case 'Villainess' which some of them would use a little twist turn to make it more interesting but nevertheless it's still the same shit just because they wanted to reduce the time for readers to study about the new world, it's also hard to work on worldbuilding especially when you're exposed to too much stereotype world style(e.g. Medieval fantasy)
Well normal people wouldn't have as much time as us jobless weebs to read that many manga, that's why for them it's alright to read the same shit with different puppets. But for us jobless weebs it's hard to find something 'good enough' to read, trust me because I had been in this rabbit hole for quite a long time xD
My advice is that if you feel salty about anything, then try to create that thing in your style. It's better for people like us to work on something creative to relief our frustrations.

Half agree. Most are the same shitty plot that gets a reskin over and over. Some are okay though, most of the time I read them for their politics and complex character conflicts/relationships and I usually drop them if neither of these are present.

In any case, it's pretty much just like Isekai, most are the same "I'M OP!!!???" and "Gotta catch them all - Harem" retarded bullshit with linear heroines and Yes Man! side characters whom are all pretty much just characters that feels designed for the plot and not alive at all. Likewise, some of them are okay.

Dex-chan lover
I'm having trouble understanding why you'd even want your mind changed.

Contributor
@EzWeeb
I feel like you just want reinforcement of your belief that villainess manga is dogshit, not actually trying to change your mind about it.
Yadda yadda some are okay, you may have a stroke if you look at my profile, try to channel that anger into creative energy.

@Smokeball
Off-topic, but I'd like to dispute your claim, specifically this one.

likewise for Shounen manga. That's why the more interesting manga would be in Seinen since it is technically gray zone for manga.

TL;DR Don't focus on demographics and tropes, rather focus on execution.

Seinen can also fall for the same tropes or follow a formula, case and point the "fantasy revenge" formula where the MC has been betrayed by the people they saved, goes crazy and dies, and then revived through bullshit, and then decides to go on a path of revenge. Here are 3 examples with the Seinen tag.

https://mangadex.org/title/34404/fukushuu-o-koinegau-saikyou-yuusha-wa-yami-no-chikara-de-senmetsu-musou-suru
https://mangadex.org/title/21758/kaifuku-jutsushi-no-yarinaoshi
https://mangadex.org/title/53235/my-lover-was-stolen-and-i-was-kicked-out-of-the-hero-s-party-but-i-awakened-to-the-ex-skill-fixed-damage-and-became-invincible-now-let-s-begin-some-revenge

If you read the summary, you'll notice they follow the same specific beginning with the same tropes.

Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not, It's actually fine. In fact I still follow kaifuku jutsushi because I got attached with the protag and want to follow his crazy and depraved revenge story. (can't say the same for fukushuu tho).

So what's my point? I'm saying is you shouldn't look at demographics and tropes, but instead look in to execution. Here is another example.

https://mangadex.org/title/22529/tokyo-revengers
https://mangadex.org/title/20316/rokudou-no-onna-tachi

These two SHOUNEN manga (though i argue tokyo revengers fit Seinen more) have many similarities. They both focus on delinquents; they both have protagonists who are utterly useless in a fight but has incredible endurance; both started out as losers but through extraordinary circumstances is given a new chance to change their lives; both protagonists builds up a group of friends through not only their extraordinary circumstances but also willpower and personality; both have an overpowered ally who is often used as a deus ex-machina to end fights when the protag has reached an epiphany or proven himself, but also becomes a looming threat of the series; and both are excellent manga that i highly reccomend, and both experienced a huge decline in writing quality, common in long running manga.

Of course both have their differences (one is a harem/battle manga while the other is a battle manga) what made them great are the execution of their tropes.

Takemichi (of Tokyo Revengers) was a coward and failure, however when he found out about his highschool sweetheart dying in a freak accident, he suddenly went back in time. After understanding his newfound powers and meeting with an old friend, he became determined to save his highschool sweetheart and later newfound friends from a grim future. You see him grow from a coward to a loyal and unyielding young man. He may be useless in a fight, but he grew to inspire people around him to become better people, believing in their good nature and overcoming their problems.

Similarly Rokudou and his 2 best friends were outcasts in his delinquent school, wishing for a happy high school life. One day he received a special charm that makes delinquent girls automatically fall in love with him. Including the baddest bitch in Town The Province Japan, Himawari Ranna. His magic made the unwieldy and bloodthirsty woman in to a love struck maiden who follows his every command alongside showing him affection to the extreme. However rather than using her to take over the world, Rokudou chooses to reform Ranna, at first out of concern for his own safety, but later because Rokudou genuinely cares for Ranna. Along the way he will also meet other bad girls that falls for him but then is helped by him towards the right path, he also befriends several male rivals even turning his bully in to one of his closest friends. Slowly he shapes his desired high school life not through the powers lent to him, but through his own efforts by befriending and guiding his fellow schoolmates. Rokudou grew from a coward to a young man that desires to love and be loved to the point that he even learns how to fight himself (best arc).

Another Shounen manga I HIGHLY reccomend is Mairimashita Iruma-kun (https://mangadex.org/title/21063/mairimashita-iruma-kun). This amazing manga follows the typical shounen beats. However, it follows them WONDERFULLY, in fact it can be argued that this manga follows the Hero's journey formula those snooty youtube essayists keeps talking about, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Iruma starts off as this unwilling human who was sold by his parents to a top ranking demon. This demon demands 1 thing from Iruma, become his grandson. Iruma has no choice but to accept, then he's sent off to demon highschool. There he makes friends through his own human understanding and past experiences making new friends along the way. The turning point is when Iruma must raise his own rank through demon dodge ball, there he follows old school shounen trope of a training montage. However what raises raises this typical shounen arc is how the manga uses this opportunity to show off one of Iruma's compelling personalities, his DETERMINATION, The manga shows Iruma that he was unwilling to give up, determined to master playing dodge ball even impressing his trainer who was apathetic towards Iruma. In the end, Iruma defeated his demon classmates even though they are much stronger and have magic and was awarded a rank up. Seeing his rise in rank inspired something within him, an unspeakable happiness overflowing from his chest as his friends congratulating him over his hard work and determination. This is his first time put in effort in something he wants. the first time he invested blood, sweat, and tears in to a goal he desperately want to achieve. The first time he gained a victory he EARNED, and it felt SO GOOD. And from there on he finally found somewhere he belongs, something he wants and work towards, and people he want to see happy and improve. This manga has a lot of shounen tropes done right alongside small subversions for the sake of humor. As of writing this reply, the manga is 184 chapters in and I have yet to find a bad or disappointing arc. The manga is at it's heights however it's nowhere near an ending. Though I fear the inevitable, I really hope it stays strong until the end.

er... anyways aside from my fangasming of Iruma-kun (seriously go read it if you haven't). I don't think the problem is in demographics or tropes, but rather execution. I think a manga fails when it doesn't understand the tropes it's using, thus instead of using it for it's intended use or tries to do something clever with it, It just slaps it in and think it's enough for the readers when it's not. You can see this kind of thing in slime shiitara (and kumo desu ga) and RE:Monster, both use the same system however the former(s) succeeded while the later failed. I'm not gonna explain because this post is long enough.

Edit: Grammatical corrections.

@kenx I haven't been given a reason to, plus, I like being angry
it distracts me from the void

Users who are viewing this thread