Vinland Saga - Vol. 16 Ch. 115 - The Hunter and the Hunted, Part 2

Dex-chan lover
I dislike Hild the most in the comic. Her character serves as a representation of the Thorfinn's past but her arc was written quite lazily and inorganically. Other characters are introduced in a much more natural way with a believable backstory while Hild had an insane backstory and just happen to coincidentally met Thorfinn in a random at a random time. Their encounter and her flamboyant backstory makes me unable to sympathise with her. Compare her to the one off character who secretly bought a ring at a market and in a very natural way the author used her to advance the story: informing Thorkell of the band location as well as showing the result of reckless violence by the Danes. That part of the story is build to drives the plot forward and as well as telling an aesop's fable of sort. While the girl with the ring seems completely natural, succinct and to me, memorable, Hild's part feel awkward, forced and worse of all like a plot device rather than a character. I hope her arc gets better but her origin is such a mess I can't take her seriously.

dce.jpg

Fed-Kun's army
@duylinh
"I dislike Hild the most in the comic. Her character serves as a representation of the Thorfinn's past but her arc was written quite lazily and inorganically. Other characters are introduced in a much more natural way with a believable backstory while Hild had an insane backstory and just happen to coincidentally met Thorfinn in a random at a random time"

How else is she supposed to meet thorfinn if not a random place and time that's kind of how people meet? Thorfinn has spent is whole life killing people all over the place so it's not far fetched he would eventually run into someone who wants revenge and Hild's backstory is par for course compared to all the character in the main cast. i mean askeladd is descended from king arthur and your trying to tell me hild's backstory is flamboyant compared to that.

Dex-chan lover
@blazingmanga Her backstory is ridiculous because they ran into each other after a series of coincident in which the worst one was that he ran into her on a random island in the middle of task. What are the odds that one of those you were send to kill survived, became an expert hunter with a big crossbow runs into you in the middle of no where, recognising you clearly and act as a moral punisher for you on your redemption quest? Askeladd back story has tons, tons of set up from him wearing different armor to the rest other vikings, his snides, his attitudes. His back story might have been flamboyant, but he is not arbitrary introduced and dropped upon the main cast. Their meetings happened for a reason and the back story was revealed because of the character's motivation and actions: Askeladd wanted to take advantage of the prince and ran to Wales because he was pursued. Meanwhile Hild's introduction is literally just them running into each other. It's not even nearly as well done as each other.

Double-page supporter
It's definitely a lazy plot device but she definitely looks cool, too.

@ritoshishino No, I don't think we did. But then again, I don't think we're supposed to. I imagine it was at some point between the mother and daughter who helped Thorfinn recover only to be killed and the point in which Askeladd got caught up with Canute. Perhaps just before the first time Thorfinn and Thorkell fought.

Dex-chan lover
fellas i'm sorry but page 15 made me lose my shit
thorfinn do be having quite a bit of bruh moments now

Users who are viewing this thread