Vinland Saga - Vol. 27 Ch. 199 - Thousand Year Voyage Part 8

Power Uploader
This is just getting more and more stupid. The helmet dude knows how it works it seems I even thought that was the plan seems the other dude was so foolish thinking they want war. Thorfin will stop Hild for sure, and then a Norse will die because of something stupid. They will wish for war and Thorfin will stop it at the end of the story by dying himself and giving a message that people need to support each other or something.

Tbh, the plan of Thorfin is so stupid because the second he is gone the world will change. Like he is talking about peace and shit and for sure he could do that for as long he is alive but what then? Like what does he expect to happen in 100 years that they will still be friends when his small settlement needs to expand and decides to make more settlements so claiming more land and go on...

This just feels stupid to me.

Dex-chan lover
Damn , who would've thought Helmet guy was the mastermind behind everything the whole time.

There wont be a war but people are definitely gonna die. Miskwekepu'j is probably still alive but might die soon , cant see a peaceful future with him still around. Einar is throwing up death flags which makes me nervous. I could see Thorfinn losing someone close to him by sticking to his pacifism too much

Aggregator gang
This is just getting more and more stupid. The helmet dude knows how it works it seems I even thought that was the plan seems the other dude was so foolish thinking they want war. Thorfin will stop Hild for sure, and then a Norse will die because of something stupid. They will wish for war and Thorfin will stop it at the end of the story by dying himself and giving a message that people need to support each other or something.

Tbh, the plan of Thorfin is so stupid because the second he is gone the world will change. Like he is talking about peace and shit and for sure he could do that for as long he is alive but what then? Like what does he expect to happen in 100 years that they will still be friends when his small settlement needs to expand and decides to make more settlements so claiming more land and go on...

Why do you think Thorfinn will die. He's going to try to stop Hild that's I'm sure but dying?

it sounds and feels stupid for us yes
because we already know

his lofty dream of total peace and no war
but i can respect why he want it, he know the sorrow war, fights as the victim and the one who partake in it
and moreover he already got a family, and all those people who follows him.
he wants to protect them, but he dont know how. with his bias of what his experiences in the war, he choose methods that seem stupid and lofty for us seeing from the sideline thousands of years in the future
(sorry for my english)

Dex-chan lover
War is bad, civil war is good.Hehe. I really hope they do chill out, to see thorfinn btfo by his ideal is sad after all this time but he cant control them all. Thorfinn tyrant arc soon?

Dex-chan lover

I'm sorry you feel that way, but put yourself in his shoes for a moment.
He lived through countless struggles. Suffers the guilt of murdering hundreds of people. Wished for revenge on his father's killer for more than half of his life. After his father's killer died, he had no purpose, he was just an empty shell. He then served as a slave, and ultimately escaping to Vinland (skipping some steps here).

Who is to say that he isn't allowed to have this grand and lofty dream? I understand it may be naive in the long term, but this was a time in history where people were exploring new continents, finding new technologies, advancing their ideas and cultues. I obviously can't speak for your experiences, but he has been through more pain than most person can even comprehend.

In my opinion, if you had been through that much suffering in your life, why wouldn't you wish for peace and tranquility for generations to come? This is after all, the only way that Thorfinn can imagine himself being redeemed after all of his past sins.

Dex-chan lover
it sounds and feels stupid for us yes
because we already know

his lofty dream of total peace and no war
but i can respect why he want it, he know the sorrow war, fights as the victim and the one who partake in it
and moreover he already got a family, and all those people who follows him.
he wants to protect them, but he dont know how. with his bias of what his experiences in the war, he choose methods that seem stupid and lofty for us seeing from the sideline thousands of years in the future
(sorry for my english)
And that idealism is why I find this still so interesting to keep coming back to and reading. He was scarred by all the fighting he did and presents himself as someone guided by childish naivety and ideals. I think he does this despite knowing in his heart that he might be hoping for too much and knowing that he will likely have to keep holding people back in order to stop them from starting a new war. He wants his family and people who follow him to be safe for as long as possible and is willing to do anything he can to preserve the peace he only now acquired.

Dex-chan lover
Thorfinn isn't naive though (about violence and conflict, he has admitted to having some naivety about land ownership/usage), idealistic sure, but the fact of the matter is that he's is very knowledgable and reflective of how and why violence occurs, which is indicative of just how aware he is of the difficulties and challenges of his endeavors, but still chooses to do so anyways. Thorfinn constantly ponders the struggles of society, like back when Karli was first found and Thorfinn was ruminating on the societal expectation of blood-for-blood and how it isn't entirely precedented on just bloodlust and enmity but also the concept of there being "necessary" consequences for breaking the law/peace. Thorfinn believes in the ideal that everything "can" be settled through non-violence, not that everything "will" be, he's not naive about that. But because he's following his ideals he's always going to pursuing/searching for the "first resort" to avoid the "last resort" of violence, which is a major part of what makes him so interesting and admirable IMO.
And even now, the violence Thorfinn wants to avoid most is killing. He's already been shown to be willing to compromise with martial pacifism for people like Garm. And it's not like Thorfinn had even banned all weapons for the Vinland settlers, he still allowed axes, spears, bows & arrows crossbows, and knives to be brought along. He had only banned swords, because they're a tool who's primary purpose (if not only purpose) is to fight and potentially kill other people.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Can't wait for second american civil war between sjw and incels lol
Off topic but
Lol not gonna happen, both are coddled by decent enough luxuries and fed, compared to quality of life in actual countries with a civil war. The larp will intensifies since they have free time for sure.

Aggregator gang
Why do you think Thorfinn will die. He's going to try to stop Hild that's I'm sure but dying?
He might not die but according to history he dies around the age of 30 and he abandons Vinland due to facing too many hostile indigenous people.

Users who are viewing this thread