Vinland Saga - Vol. 27 Ch. 199 - Thousand Year Voyage Part 8

Dex-chan lover
Unironically, I wish Hild success in killing these three jerks. If a drama between her and Thorfinn is happened, let it be.

Dex-chan lover
Unironically, I wish Hild success in killing these three jerks. If a drama between her and Thorfinn is happened, let it be.
I understand why you say that, but the situation is more complex than you think.

If left alone, these three may very well cause a war for no good reason, so eliminating them certainly makes sense.
But the problem is that they've already succeeded in sowing the seeds of discord. If they died, there'd be an even bigger mess:
  • Either the settlers go to war because they believe the Lnu killed three of them.
  • Or Thorfinn and his supporters get exiled because they enforced their opinion through murder.
There's always the option of making it look like an accident, but then Hild would need to find an animal dangerous enough to plausibly kill 3 armed and experienced men (like a bear), but that wouldn't stop the settlers from still suspecting the Lnu, and they'd still argue they need weapons and walls, if only to stay safe from dangerous wildlife.

The situation is already nearly beyond repair. The way I see it, the only person who could possibly fix this is Ivar. All he'd need to do is tell the settlers that they were wrong, the Lnu never wanted conflict, and that there's no need for weapons or a wall. The only other person who could fix this situation is Styrk, but he likely won't do it, since that would undermine everything he's worked towards so far.

Aggregator gang
He might not die but according to history he dies around the age of 30 and he abandons Vinland due to facing too many hostile indigenous people.
Well the real Thorfinn wasn't a Jomsviking chief so I don't think making assumptions based on it is a good idea.

The tension is really thick in this chapter. Styrk really likes to stir the pot and it reminds me of Askeladd. I wonder how thorfinn is going to react to this situation, since Ivar sort of draws parallels to Canute. I’m excited to see what Thorfinn’s plans of action will be.

a good thing to note is that this arc will inevitably inform Thorfinn‘s worldview from here on out. It is inevitable that they will have to confront Ivar’s group, and Hild’s actions will most likely furher the discord among the members of Arnheid village.

I understand why you say that, but the situation is more complex than you think.

If left alone, these three may very well cause a war for no good reason, so eliminating them certainly makes sense.
But the problem is that they've already succeeded in sowing the seeds of discord. If they died, there'd be an even bigger mess:
  • Either the settlers go to war because they believe the Lnu killed three of them.
  • Or Thorfinn and his supporters get exiled because they enforced their opinion through murder.
There's always the option of making it look like an accident, but then Hild would need to find an animal dangerous enough to plausibly kill 3 armed and experienced men (like a bear), but that wouldn't stop the settlers from still suspecting the Lnu, and they'd still argue they need weapons and walls, if only to stay safe from dangerous wildlife.

The situation is already nearly beyond repair. The way I see it, the only person who could possibly fix this is Ivar. All he'd need to do is tell the settlers that they were wrong, the Lnu never wanted conflict, and that there's no need for weapons or a wall. The only other person who could fix this situation is Styrk, but he likely won't do it, since that would undermine everything he's worked towards so far.
Exactly honestly fuck styrk holy shit

Dex-chan lover
---Like what does he expect to happen in 100 years that they will still be friends when his small settlement needs to expand and decides to make more settlements so claiming more land and go on...
At that point, if things turn out well the natives would probably join in. As much as the tribes talk about how amazing their way of life is, agriculture provide a lot of advantages and safety. Marriage between the two become common place, and any race divide to speak of is barely even worth a mention.

Thorfinn is definitely hard-headed in his pursuit, but I do think the idea has some merit.

Dex-chan lover
If this is following the actual Vinland saga, the history than, Thorfinn will fail, his son will be the first to be born of Vinland and his family will know of Vinland but it’ll be forgotten in time. No matter how You see it, Thorfinn will face failure, it’s like a ticking time bomb.

Dex-chan lover
This masked motherfucker knows the Linu don't want to start a fight and he's egging it on and Ivar is too stupid by too far

Fed-Kun's army
Bug Eyes probably thought it was a good idea, but he underestimated the lengths Hild would take to avoid war. If he thought this could put them in real danger, he wouldn't have done it. The problem is, Hild doesn't know that, so, she is 100% going to kill them, unless Thorfinn manages to stop her.

Dex-chan lover
I could see a duel between Ivar and Thorfinn in the end of this part. in front of the whole village of course.

"in times of discord, people look to the strongest man to lead them"

Thorfinn gonna show who the actual strongest people among them actually is. thus, leading schemer such as Styrk no choice but to obey. not exactly a pacifist way, but that's how things go both back then and nowadays.

Besides, Thorfinn isn't some goody two shoes protagonist who is naive to the way of the worlds and how violence works. he'll not take violence as his first choice, sure. doesn't mean he won't use it. as proven in Baltic war arc.

Double-page supporter
Ivar is brash sure, but that helmet guy, as logical as he is, he's the most dangerous and the worst kind. He's manipulative. And I think this guy is the type of people Thorfinn's talking about. The smart eloquent, not strong, guy that can be very strong and dangerous in a war.

Also Thorfinn being stupid? It sounds stupid but I think this is the only way.
"What the people would do if he's not there?" Isn't all this stuff exactly what he's trying to do? Erasing the hostility and warmonger ideology to the root by not doing war no matter what. He's laying the foundation of an anti-war country. And even if they won by killing, what then? Arnheid Village will just turn into another Nords country with same ol' Nords way of living and thinking.

THIS IS THE THORFINN'S ROLE when he said Canute will try to erase war by blood and iron. And his is trying to erase war by words or the so called "first move". This is the dilemma and opponent Thorfinn must face which arguably stronger than Thorkell!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread