Wakaba-chan wa Wakarasetai! - Vol. 1 Ch. 10.6 - Extra Chapter 2

Dex-chan lover
You realize that the first girl he meets in series is also a meta concept then, right???
Since I mentioned I used the chronological definition, no. MC would know which girl he met first in his life (as far as memories allows). Therefore it's not a meta concept.

Because the first girl the MC ever meets isn't the one that always wins... but first we often see...
And that's when you go into meta territory.

So first in universe makes no sense (else childhood friends would never lose).
The first girl MC met isn't necessarily a childhood friend. A childhood friend is a character the MC actually had a lasting friendship with, not just met once and that was it. The CH trope is about the MC having a pre-story bond with a character, but that's not needed for meeting a girl the first time.

Also, no one said any character of any definition would always win (unless you beg the question).

And it's often common for MCs to meet to not be the main love interest and not win.... meaning who he literally meets first actually doesn't matter....
It's as far as my experience goes the most common victor. So apparently it does matter. And it's a recognised trope, so again, it does matter.

Double-page supporter
Id like to know: lets ignore Nisekoi, but whats the percentage of all rom coms, where the childhood friend wins? More than 5%? Or even 1%?

Dex-chan lover
Also, no one said any character of any definition would always win (unless you beg the question).

It's as far as my experience goes the most common victor. So apparently it does matter. And it's a recognised trope, so again, it does matter.
You realize the whole concept of a character winning the love drama is meta itself.

That said, I did state that there is sometimes overlap between being the first girl shown to readers and being the main girl (cause it makes it easier to ID her), but it's also not uncommon for there to be minor female characters shown first (and they are often obviously not the heroine).

And most of the time, the heroine actually isn't the first female the MC met his entire life.... just the first shown... but not always.

Basically, it's a common trope for main girl to be shown first (from cover page or first interaction) but it's not necessary.

Basically, main girl mostly wins. And first girl is a sub-category that often overlaps with main girl....

Main girl is often the ONLY REAL winning trope. Everything else is just fluff added to make it more interesting.

Dex-chan lover
You realize the whole concept of a character winning the love drama is meta itself.
No, a character getting into a relationship is not a meta concept. It can happen IRL where there are no story conventions.

but it's also not uncommon for there to be minor female characters shown first (and they are often obviously not the heroine).
You have to race to win. You don't beat the spectators if you win a race. They don't lose. Counting spectators makes no sense.

Main girl is often the ONLY REAL winning trope.
That argument is like MAGIC! A wizard did it! Everything else is irrelevant! And it's a meta concept, as I said, unlike my argument for the first girl.

As a slightly different argument, it's also putting the cart before the horse. Creators decide whether the main girl will win. And then they decide what traits she will have. The first depends on the type of story you want to tell. The latter depends on tastes and what content you want in your story. So they're different in that aspect as well.

And as I said, if we want to go by your rules, Main Character is the real winning trope, above Main Girl, so you're still wrong.

Dex-chan lover
No, a character getting into a relationship is not a meta concept. It can happen IRL where there are no story conventions.

You have to race to win. You don't beat the spectators if you win a race. They don't lose. Counting spectators makes no sense.

That argument is like MAGIC! A wizard did it! Everything else is irrelevant! And it's a meta concept, as I said, unlike my argument for the first girl.

As a slightly different argument, it's also putting the cart before the horse. Creators decide whether the main girl will win. And then they decide what traits she will have. The first depends on the type of story you want to tell. The latter depends on tastes and what content you want in your story. So they're different in that aspect as well.

And as I said, if we want to go by your rules, Main Character is the real winning trope, above Main Girl, so you're still wrong.

I mean saying the concept of which girl will win using other manga is a meta concept....

.... and main character is not a contender, he's literally the prize....

You can't say the prize is the winner.

And your issue is that MCs often meet lots of girls. And a first girl will essentially be a childhood friend, meaning childhood friends should always win by that logic.

Only the meta logic ever works for which girl will win..... no internal normal logic works at all because in a real relationship, you go for whoever you love and they love you back....

There is no other logic that works that isn't meta....

Yes, characters can get into a relationship isn't meta and makes sense.... but there is no way the first girl he's ever spoken too will be the winner.

Dex-chan lover
It'd be funny if after all this the author introduced a new girl and Wakaba actually ended up losing

Dex-chan lover
Childhood friend losing is probably my least favorite aspect of most romance manga...

Like, most of the time childhood friends have the best chemistry with the MC but NOOOO, let's throw it out the window because new girl has "SPICE"

Doesn't matter if she's an annoying piece of work, she blushed when they accidentally held, so she wins

Users who are viewing this thread