Wandering Son

Still one of the best manga dealing with gender identity. It does suffer a bit at the end, as does the yuri classic "Aoi Hana", from Shimura-sensei's decision to rather unexpectedly and abruptly end both stories in the same month, something which I'm not sure was ever really adequately explained. But still absolutely worth the read, particularly so if you are trans.

I didn't think the main character was likable,maybe it's beacuse the subject doesn't really interest me.

This manga broke and fixed me all in one, what a terrific piece of literature about the shardship of finding oneself

Oh god all the feelings I’ve had about gender identity put into manga form? Im only at chapter 10 but dang does this make my heart ache for those kids.

I’m seeing this as a very slow burn, so if you’re not that into the discussion of gender identity, this might not be your cup of tea.

Double-page supporter
this was so amazing i just had to close my eyes for a while to take it all in after i read the last page

This one was really disappointing. The author didn't interview actual trans people from what I could tell and has no fucking idea what being trans is other than "a boy wants to be a girl". The entire book is a cis persons view of how being trans while sugarcoating everything to a nauseating degree. The way they attempt to touch on dysphoria feels pompous and like they are trying to make it seem poetic which is honestly insulting. As a trans woman all this feels like is some cis persons romanticized version of what being trans is without knowing how fucking miserable it is. Had the author done minimal research they would realize that being trans is absolutely nothing like what they imagined. If you want a manga with a trans character that actually faces the real issues that come with being trans read Bokura no Hentai, the author interviewed actual trans people and doctors who help them and has an actual understanding of what being trans is. I'm sorely disappointed in this manga and it's annoying to see a cis person feel they can write a story about trans people without doing extensive research. Trans representation in manga and anime sorely needs a good story centered around trans issues and this one completely missed the mark. 5/10

There really isnt a manga thats depicts actual LGBTQ representation better than shimanami tasogare, but this one tried It's not as bad as The so called representation in yaoi/yuri genre since most of those are idealistic and BS (doesnt stop me from reading em tho), This actually shows some of the hardships of being LGBTQ even if the last chapter's message was somewhat contradictory to what it wants to represent. Worst than shimanami tasogare but better than blue flag (coz the ending yknow timeskip)
Still 7/10

Dex-chan lover
I don't know if I'm just dumb or if it's fault of art. But despite being glued to story for 43 chapters, I still have hard time following who's who.

For people confused about Yoshino decision and development, this is actually a very common sentiment in girls, take a look at her and the other girls.
First period: painful, humiliated publicly at school
First time you wear a dress: immediately flipped by the end of the day
Visiting an adult you thought you could trust: molested
Going to school by train: molested even after you retaliate
Why would a child wish to be a girl, knowing this? In many countries in Asia, 'woman' is still an insult, why would she want to be a girl or woman?
At least, her story resonate greatly with me. I am a girl, but being a girl is never safe, so I wished I was a boy instead

Dex-chan lover
I was kinda hoping the story would deal with hormone therapy. Im not sure how hard it is to get started before your 18 in Japan but I was always hoping it would be brought up as something in the future to help. I'm sure now after they are 18 that's info that they might gain due, that would address some valid concerns that pop up during male puberty. I have read some really hard stories where the main protagonist fights for it due to not wanting their voice to be deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread