Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - The Country of Flowers

Dex-chan lover
1st chapter: Aww, how cute! This looks like it's gonna be a light, fluffy magical journey.

2nd chapter: Well fuck

Kino no tabi.
Majo no tabi.

If they were made by the same person, then hot damn what a coincidence to be meeting a distant cousin of the “Traveler” line.
A gunwoman with a talking bike now a witch.

Im in for a nice ride.

Fed-Kun's army
Elaina's behaviour is consistent with the first chapter. At that time, her identification went missing and she waited days to get it back despite knowing where it was. In this case, she waited a day because she assumed there was no immediate threat. It seems like she burnt the field of flowers in the end; they are black and destroyed in the last pages. She probably has no way of removing the madness from the minds of the infected.

What seems the strangest is that the city has done nothing to prevent travellers from entering the field. They could have hired a magician to build a fence and signs around it or burn it down. Elaina manages to wander into the field while flying low to the ground on a forest trail likely used by other travellers.

@apep
She didn't burn it, she would have to burn the whole forest.

In the novel there is more stuff after the last scene in the manga, where they show that another poor soul heading to that flower garden.

Fed-Kun's army
@Mahdii
In that case, I'm not sure what to make of the flowers on pages 25-26. They are dyed black, which could just be the same blood that the large flower is covered in. However, they are also withered and broken. Maybe the large flower chokes them out when it blooms or the brother trampled them on the way to his sister.

@apep Probably blood or just for more shocking effect. It was implied the whole garden is flourishing based on absorbing people trapped bodies.

Dex-chan lover
The guards of the city don't attempt to bar the way for multiple reasons. They don't know the effective range and quantity of flowers needed to be infected, so they can't even tell where it exactly is, let alone set a border. Anyone intending to put a stop to it would probably be sacrificing themselves(which is possibly what the brother did, but whichever the case some remained to grow). Another reason is that the city is not quite so modern as to be able to quickly organize a large group of guards to do the work needed. That's a hefty load of logistics to handle without leaving your city defenseless to other threats. The last is, well, magic. Muggles don't mess with magic, full stop. We are in full Fae mode here, make no mistake.

On Elaina's case, she could have done more. But she doesn't have the standard protagonist's all-consuming need to help people. Also, even as a witch, you don't mess with magic. All manner of things could happen if you try to kill a magical organism that is in home turf and plugged to a giant mana battery(eg. THE WHOLE DAMN FOREST). She's a genius, but she's also exceedingly young and lacking in the stereotypical arrogance that comes with being a prodigy.

No shame in being afraid.

Group Leader
here is explanation about Elaina attitude [this is not my problem] based from what I read in the novel.
1. She is traveler and have principle “Please don’t mind it. After all, I’m a traveler. I must hurry ahead.” (I quoted it from novelupdates.) In the novel she said that several times iirc.

2. She made promises with her mother.
"First. To prioritize escaping as much as possible when you are likely to face dangers. Don't poke your nose in unnecessary things──because you might die if you do."
"Second. Do not think of yourself as someone special──Witch or whatever you may be, you are a traveler. Don't ever be conceited, and don't forget that you are just like anyone else."
"Third──"
"Come back without fail. Please come back and show us your cheerful face."

Dex-chan lover
It's been a while since I read the novel but I remember the scene with the flower girl was more subdued with the underlying wrongness and she came off as an odd but serene girl. The manga brought it out to the forefront but the novel depicted her in a way that made it seem like she already accepted she was a goner and came willingly to her death. I don't remember the incest element in the story either so I'm guessing either they thought the original script was too short for a monthly chapter or the author originally did intend to imply incest but it didn't pop up at you in the novel.

Pity about the change since the superficial normalcy makes the tweest stories that much more memorable.

Fed-Kun's army
@Serenata she could've done more but she didn't and even if she think its not her problem (just from this i think she's a pretty cold...) the least she could do is warn the old guard she saw something that might be related so he might be able to do something before hand and im not blaming her here its just that its such a shame

well anyway i don't expect anybody to agree or whatever they got their opinion i got mine

Dex-chan lover
Instead of Sorol, I'm more inclined towards Solor for the romanization.

As mentioned here, Solus (sun) makes more sense than Sorol; then there's also the pain of jealousy and loss explored here multiple times. In Latin, pain translates to dolor.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this, but anyway.

Dex-chan lover
First thought:" Wow such a beautiful garden in the middle of forest"
After i read the story:
"HANS GET ZE FLAMMENWERFER!"

Oh wow...

did not expect Tragedy...

Thought this was going to be about a Witch traveling the world and having fun... (like the Genre suggested... Comedy, Adventure, Slice of Life... so far... Adventure, Drama, Tragedy... where's the comedy?)

Not expecting shits like this

Welp, I am dropping this series... (basing on ppls comment, series gets darker later...)

so because she didn't want to be out at night she left the girl to die and lied about seeing her? surly if shes a witch she could of saved her with magic this is like when you see someone drowning and all you have to do is throw them the rope in your hand but you don't want the rope to get wet so you leave them to die.

Users who are viewing this thread