Watashi no Musuko ga Isekai Tensei Shitappoi - Vol. 3 Ch. 19 - I Want To Talk.

Fed-Kun's army
What do you mean, ただいま literally translates to "I am home", especially given context being spoken before entering a house.
It's really context driven. You don't declare you're "home" when you're entering someone else's house. You could, but it's a little off. Instead, you might say something like ojamamashimasu or hairune. If you've been on a trip and upon returning, meet your friend at the station, you might say tataima, in the sense that you returned to your home city, but it's not first or the most common thing you'd expect to hear. Even less at your friend's house.

In that scene, the correct translation is more than "I'm back" and maybe a little less than "I'm home." But between those two, it's more "I'm home" than "I'm back." You can also tell that it slightly confuses Doubara. It speaks to Mio's state of mind as far as where she thinks she belongs, and where she thinks she can find support. So it's a very loaded, extremely significant dialogue.

Dex-chan lover
It's really context driven. You don't declare you're "home" when you're entering someone else's house. You could, but it's a little off. Instead, you might say something like ojamamashimasu or hairune. If you've been on a trip and upon returning, meet your friend at the station, you might say tataima, in the sense that you returned to your home city, but it's not first or the most common thing you'd expect to hear. Even less at your friend's house.

In that scene, the correct translation is more than "I'm back" and maybe a little less than "I'm home." But between those two, it's more "I'm home" than "I'm back." You can also tell that it slightly confuses Doubara. It speaks to Mio's state of mind as far as where she thinks she belongs, and where she thinks she can find support. So it's a very loaded, extremely significant dialogue.
So tl;dr "I'm home" is correct in this chapter lmao.

Also お邪魔します totally carry a different meaning than ただいま. Irrelevant in this chapter's context, not even close.

Dex-chan lover
You can also tell that it slightly confuses Doubara.
Eh, he's wearing the same face as when he first opened the door. I wouldn't call that confused.
So tl;dr "I'm home" is correct in this chapter lmao.

In English "I'm home" is waay more loaded than ただいま is in Japanese. It pretty much means she plans to stay there and live with him or that she's joking about that. Imagine saying that when you're visiting a friend lol

Anyway, I think it's a matter of taste, and in exchange of adding a development that wasn't there (Doubara now thinks she joked about living with him) the reader gets to know the range of meanings of what she said

Dex-chan lover
What do you mean, ただいま literally translates to "I am home", especially given context being spoken before entering a house.
haha, no
ただいま LITERALLY means "just now"
it is short of ただいま帰りました
where 帰る literally means "go back" or "return"
which can also means "go home", but it is not the literal meaning, since the complete "go home" needs 家に for that
which is why ただいま can also mean "I'm home"
but it is not the literal translation

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
haha, no
ただいま LITERALLY means "just now"
it is short of ただいま帰りました
where 帰る literally means "go back" or "return"
which can also means "go home", but it is not the literal meaning, since the complete "go home" needs 家に for that
which is why ただいま can also mean "I'm home"
but it is not the literal translation
I don't mean literally as in literal sense, it was just a figure of speech. Stop being pedantic about it, you and I both know what I meant with it.

And context wise tadaima=I'm home is absolutely correct to be used here. Stop saying nonsense.

Dex-chan lover
haha,

I don't mean literally as in literal sense
when someone can't accept that he/she is wrong :dogewow:

And context wise tadaima=I'm home is absolutely correct to be used here
and I never comment about the translation choice
yeah, sure, whatever, I've read all 5 volumes of this to the end
so I can say I know a fair bit about the context
I commented because you claimed a wrong fact that needs to be corrected

maybe you should use that word less often if you don't understand what it means

Dex-chan lover
haha,

when someone can't accept that he/she is wrong :dogewow:

and I never comment about the translation choice
yeah, sure, whatever, I've read all 5 volumes of this to the end
so I can say I know a fair bit about the context
I commented because you claimed a wrong fact that needs to be corrected

maybe you should use that word less often if you don't understand what it means
Imagine being pedantic and still think you're correct about it when everyone knows what we're talking about. Stop derailing the chapter discussion.

Tadaima is correct here, end of story.

Dex-chan lover
what a sad guy

oydlFUw.png

Dex-chan lover
Knock it off undeed, you are literally doing the same thing back. Stop barking in the mirror, and stop derailing this thread. You were NEVER correct to begin with. Its over

Imagine being this much of a petulant brainlet. :dogewow:

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
^just for the record, he started it first. My notifications got spammed by him, so it's just me doubling down back on him.

I'm not pathetic enough to upload an image of it though just to prove a point :huh: but I have free time to open few tabs and annoy him back with notifications LUL

Double-page supporter
Well, that was a really good chapter, the "i'm home" is a ray of hope. Pretty beautiful.
Thx for the chapter

Users who are viewing this thread