We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 2 Ch. 6 - A Face I Want to See

@Kendama
@car

He used to express his astonishment that the sculptors of marble statues should take pains to make the block of marble into a perfect likeness of a man, and should take no pains about themselves lest they should turn out mere blocks, not men. He recommended to the young the constant use of the mirror, to the end that handsome men might acquire a corresponding behaviour, and ugly men conceal their defects by education.

The word "men" is used to mean human, ala "One small step for man".

What Socrates is saying and what the teacher is saying is:

For the ugly, make your inner beauty far greater by comparison through education.

For the beautiful, make your inner beauty reflect your outer beauty.

The mirror representing self reflection.

Then Takyanagi says, "You are very beautiful."

Which is basically saying, "You're already beautiful on the outside, I wish that one day your inner self will be just as such."

Fed-Kun's army
@cgr it was about acting as Dignified (as its beauty represent their inner beauty), and if they where Ugly then do the Good/act Good (as to show the Beauty of their souls).

Suzumiya explained it on detail xD

cgr

Dex-chan lover
@SuzumiyaHaruhi
thanks for the explanation. I guess that makes sense, but the way he phrased it is definitely confusing: it feels like he should have told her 'you are beautiful' first, and then mention the Socrates quote second; also, if she wasn't paying attention in his classes, she may not have understood what the mirror means either. Judging by her reaction, I'm not sure if she understood what he was trying to tell her either.

Double-page supporter
So far so good, the art style is crude in my opinion but man does it feel good to see the back stories of this kids and these teacher just trying to help them.

Also this reminded me more of Philosophy class than Ethics. I had a course of Ethics in University and it did touch philosophy but not as is implied here.

Group Leader
@suzumiyharuhi
Thanks for the detailed explanation. You saved me a lot of time there ^^

Dex-chan lover
The girl in this chapter got something right, i wonder what will make takayanagi cries, or make him desperate

Dex-chan lover
@Raydnt I agree. It’s almost like the art style is asking an ethics question. Does flashy art style make for a good manga or is it the writing that draws readers in? Is beauty seen with the eye better than beauty felt with the heart?

Also the art isn’t bad. It’s decent and consistent (which is way more important imo)

Double-page supporter
This ethics teacher is literally a genius superhero. I can't get enough of him.

@car

He said Socrates's quote first because Fukugawa doesn't think she's beautiful. She has a complex with her sister. She thinks she's ugly and acts as such.

When Tayakanagi quotes Socrates to her, she doesn't think it applies to her. She's ugly, inside and out.

That's why the quote needed to be set up first. She expects the quote to be about how she's ugly and needs to study. But he subverts that expectation by telling her that she's in fact, the latter. She's already beautiful outside and just needs to work on the inside to match.

Dex-chan lover
A part of me wants to see Takayanagi despairing, too...
But as always, good chapter. It's getting better and better for me.
I like how his motto is to go home as soon as work is over. That's like me, but also, ends the chapter in a light mood.

Edit: Author is a woman?
God bless her for making this hot teacher with a good story. Or well, Life Lessons.

Power Uploader
@reica
Typo on page 16: "... as such, i do not belive ..." >> "... as such, i do not believe ..."

Dex-chan lover
That ending is depressing. Can't even hang out with him.

Supporter
This is a very nice manga about ethics indeed. One that develops conversations among peers and boggles the mind of those without deep knowledge of ethics... like me 😃

Ok, so she tried to frame him two years ago, so... he already was a teacher at the school before ch 1?
In the beggining i thought he was a new teacher or something

Users who are viewing this thread