We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - Studying for Yourself

Double-page supporter
Damn. Some of the other chapters in this manga kinda feel like BS, but this one hit wayyyyy too close to home. And seeing alot of your guys comments, it seems it does for you too. Damn. This one really hurt. I really hope he does well, and all of you guys too.

Dex-chan lover
we young adults are all in this together

best wishes for you individual thriving for our academic purpose

Dex-chan lover
Takayanagi: "Those who meddle in others' affairs always bear malicious intent"
Also Takayanagi: Serial Meddling In Others' Affairs Enthusiast

ahahaha oh wow. I remembered my dad insisted me on taking science classes rather than humanities when I was in hs even though I dislike it, for this exact same reason. Three whole years studying physics and chemistry and fucking nothing, barely remember anything.
Yeah, asian parents (pragmatic, traditional ones) are still thinking that 1. You must be a doctor/engineer to succeed, 2. Stable income is good, 3. anything else is bad and need not to be considered. Fucking bad tbh. Morally wrong too.

I begin to study for myself in this pandemic (my school hasn't opened yet when I wrote this comment). Soon, I will stop studying for myself because I don't have much time like I'm right now.

many parents don’t know that being a doctor or scientist isn’t the only well-paying job. many careers such as IT, business, even humanities offer a lot of potential and are even easier to do well in.
i may even say,for someone who isn’t interested going into the field of science, learning STEM subjects is even more of a waste of time than learning literature or ethics.
currently i’m in my final year of highschool studying chemistry and biology, but only because those are subjects that fit me and what i want to learn in the future, while at the same time i’m extremely interested in philosophy and history so i also take the chance to read into them on the side.
history and science/medicine may not seem compatible, but they are actually very related to each other. if you pick up a history or philosophy book, you may be surprised at the vast amount of mentions human and life science, as well as technology gets in there. This is ofcourse because developments in science and medicine are a huge part of human history, and one of the reasons why i’m pursuing medical research is to witness and participate the development of humans, human society first-hand.
the direction we take in medical research will determine the course of humanity. will we go into genetic engineering and play god? will we experience a change in ethical standards? how will we respond to the many ethical dilemmas that plague the scientific scene?
it is near impossible for any one person to change or stop what scientists do, but it is important to be aware of what’s going on in the world and how you should feel about it

There's always that impulse when you're younger to 'get through this to the next thing', but the emphasis is never on enjoying the next thing, just treating it as a waypoint before the cycle begins again.

Then suddenly you're a year into college and can't force yourself to study anymore, or you've graduated and in a job you don't really like, and realize you never planned on what to do when you get 'there'.

Jeez, this chapter hit too close to home, especially with the fact that he doesn't even fully remember what he was told, it's just the effect afterward.

Dex-chan lover
I'm just relieved that he didn't choose the oath of ethic/humanities after that talk - it would be quite dissapointing
It'd seem like the author is very self-conscious about her work. The plot never goes for the obvious turn, even if the obvious is doing the opposite of what's obviously going to happen... If that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread