Welcome to Japan, Elf-san! - Vol. 6 Ch. 34

Dex-chan lover
Just playing devil's advocate here, but
But that's not the case here. It's been years since last upload, there is an official translation, it's probably not a troll translation, and it's not shit.

If we don't impose some sort of standards on uploads, all we'll have is shit like Teenmanhua pumping out incoherent gibberish MTLs at an absurd rate.
Sure, but this ain't it.

Contributor
But I'm not paying for it, that's the difference. If it's free, that's fine, if it's not, then fuck that. I want to OWN what I buy. Not lease.
But... J Novel Club sells DRM-free books. You get an epub file that you can put on any device and own until the end of time. Like, they're one of the few major publishers that actually does it.

Dex-chan lover
I forgot what this was about, then I remember, ah yes. It's that enemy who was hiding since 2 years ago.

The translation was a bit choppy in places. That "Ki" is just Katakana onomatopoeia, so it's fine. "Uri Dora" is supposed to be "Wridra".
I'd recommend going through the previous chapter translations for reference and also using ChatGPT and stuff for editing. You know, just paste the raw text and the translations and ask it to make it more natural-sounding.
And don't try to splice the stuff you put into ChatGPT. Try to go page by page or something unless some dialogue is spilling over to the next. But just ensure that the dialogues don't look incomplete.
Definitely doing that I was confused when it said uri Dora and I guess it slipped cause I do remember changing some names:3

I'm not even sure I'm going to bother reading this. It's so low quality, it barely counts as trying at all.

I will never understand why people decide to pick up scanlating for the first time and don't even bother thinking once to themselves, "Maybe I should try to make it look and read like all the other quality scanlations I've read?"
I made this using photogimp side note what font should I use

Well, if you're gonna use it as practice grounds, something already covered by an official translation that won't bitch about you sniping their money cow is the best place to start, I guess?
Never knew this should I continue translating it? I only plan on posting in mangadex

Just playing devil's advocate here, but most of the time when a scanlation group is looking to pick up a new series, they'll pass on ones that look like somebody's actively working on it, regardless of whether or not the uploaded chapters are even coherent.
Then there's also a couple troll scanlation groups that I've seen, i forget the name of one but i think it was SSSSS or something, where they'd intentionally translate things incorrectly or otherwise mangle the chapters, or even just uploading the final chapter when the series was at best still 50 chapters from the end.
If we don't impose some sort of standards on uploads, all we'll have is shit like Teenmanhua pumping out incoherent gibberish MTLs at an absurd rate.
Just kinda wanted to rant a bit
I actually kinda hurried this translation a little bit 1 it was 1 am I needed to sleep didn't want to kinda finish it and second I was curious if my quality was allowed in mangadex cause I thought there was a standard when scanlating for the first time I also ur rant is valid:3333

Welcome back to scanlations, Elf-san.

Mainly just combat. Not much to comment about.

A hound dragon. I think she's a little displeased about that.

I appreciate the effort in scanlating this. It might not be top quality, but it's readable enough.

I will never understand why people decide to whine about someone else's effort and don't even bother thinking once to themselves, "Maybe I should make an effort myself rather than to whine about the free stuff I get?" or even, "Maybe someone doing this for the first time might not have the same skills as someone who's done it for years." Fucking choosing beggars.
No one's begging. And the only choice I'm making is to not read it.

Something being done for free doesn't absolve it of criticism. Imagine having the audacity to call people out for doing a terrible job. Definitely something more people here should be doing.

Dex-chan lover
I made this using photogimp side note what font should I use
I don't care so much what specific font you use, but prioritise something that's readable. So many people try fancy fonts that look cool or elegant or whatever, but they're a pain to read, especially if you're on a small screen phone. Comic Sans is better than most of those "evocative" fonts, because say what you want about what it looks like, but it's one of the easiest fonts to read. Although you're going to get a lot of hate if you use that specific one. Just not from me.

Never knew this should I continue translating it? I only plan on posting in mangadex
I actually kinda hurried this translation a little bit 1 it was 1 am I needed to sleep didn't want to kinda finish it and second I was curious if my quality was allowed in mangadex cause I thought there was a standard when scanlating for the first time I also ur rant is valid:3333
Take your time. There's no time pressure for any series unless there's a competition to get a chapter out as soon as possible after release. This is not the case here, as we know. And I'll be reading it, so continue if you want.

Something being done for free doesn't absolve it of criticism. Imagine having the audacity to call people out for doing a terrible job. Definitely something more people here should be doing.
You turned your "criticism" into a personal attack, and complained about effort and expected it to look like someone who's done it for years. That's not what we need here, and not something more people should be doing. That's just being a dick about it. There were others who provided real, constructive criticism in this thread. Maybe you should learn from your betters like you say this scanlator should do? Take your own advice?

T
I don't care so much what specific font you use, but prioritise something that's readable. So many people try fancy fonts that look cool or elegant or whatever, but they're a pain to read, especially if you're on a small screen phone. Comic Sans is better than most of those "evocative" fonts, because say what you want about what it looks like, but it's one of the easiest fonts to read. Although you're going to get a lot of hate if you use that specific one. Just not from me.

Take your time. There's no time pressure for any series unless there's a competition to get a chapter out as soon as possible after release. This is not the case here, as we know. And I'll be reading it, so continue if you want.

You turned your "criticism" into a personal attack, and complained about effort and expected it to look like someone who's done it for years. That's not what we need here, and not something more people should be doing. That's just being a dick about it. There were others who provided real, constructive criticism in this thread. Maybe you should learn from your betters like you say this scanlator should do? Take your own advice?
Thanks I'll take this into accounts next time€: kinda funny I started a small argument about criticism
How do I get rid of the highlight thing

Fed-Kun's army
Previous guy here, short answer yes. Long answer, all the officially translated chapters have been leaked already and I've lost all interest in the non Japan plot. Also given that I work in IT scanlating isn't at the top of the priority queue anymore. o7
Appreciated ur efforts <3

Double-page supporter
Ayo. Nice translation.
Good first attempt.
Needs some minor changes, but good otherwise!

Dex-chan lover
It's coherent enough on the surface at least, no beautiful Duwangs or anything like that. But there are definitely inconsistencies and weird phrases that come from using MTL without trying to understand the original text. Like the summoned monsters being called worms on one page but eels later. Or whatever "hierarchical master" is supposed to mean.

And why go through all the effort of doing this in the first place only to go "I'm too lazy to figure this out" and "I have no idea what this means" so often?

Keep practicing, you need it. To be frank, I'd rather not continue reading if this is the level of quality you maintain.

It's coherent enough on the surface at least, no beautiful Duwangs or anything like that. But there are definitely inconsistencies and weird phrases that come from using MTL without trying to understand the original text. Like the summoned monsters being called worms on one page but eels later. Or whatever "hierarchical master" is supposed to mean.

And why go through all the effort of doing this in the first place only to go "I'm too lazy to figure this out" and "I have no idea what this means" so often?

Keep practicing, you need it. To be frank, I'd rather not continue reading if this is the level of quality you maintain.
thanks definitely gonna keep practicing ill try to up the quality as said from other comments: D

Users who are viewing this thread