Welcome to Japan, Ms. Elf! - Vol. 6 Ch. 34

Fed-Kun's army
You turned your "criticism" into a personal attack, and complained about effort and expected it to look like someone who's done it for years. That's not what we need here, and not something more people should be doing. That's just being a dick about it. There were others who provided real, constructive criticism in this thread. Maybe you should learn from your betters like you say this scanlator should do? Take your own advice?
Such a measured response. Bet that feels good.

I could have suggested that they look into typesetting resources and fonts. Or suggested that they do even a basic proofread of lines that don't make sense, or character names that are clearly wrong. Or scan the pages for any speech bubbles they missed to translate. But I didn't feel like it, because someone would inevitably have commented that they did an amazing job wow thanks so much for picking this up again man don't listen to the rude guy who told you you didn't do things his way you totally rock!

To me, there's no difference between constructive criticism and an insult. Both are met with scorn by different groups of people; the latter by people with holier-than-thou attitudes, and the former by the masses who would be happy to scrape their scanlations off the sole of someone's boot and consider it a slight to even think of suggesting that people do something to improve themselves. You literally cannot win.

Either of the two should make the person the critique is directed at think of how they could improve. Maybe the former is a tiny bit more helpful.

I don't think there's any common ground to find here, so that'll be it from me.

It's coherent enough on the surface at least, no beautiful Duwangs or anything like that. But there are definitely inconsistencies and weird phrases that come from using MTL without trying to understand the original text. Like the summoned monsters being called worms on one page but eels later. Or whatever "hierarchical master" is supposed to mean.

And why go through all the effort of doing this in the first place only to go "I'm too lazy to figure this out" and "I have no idea what this means" so often?

Keep practicing, you need it. To be frank, I'd rather not continue reading if this is the level of quality you maintain.
Lmao I'm definitely gonna try and learn some proof reading and some basic japanese also gonna try some typesetting programs too €€:

Fed-Kun's army
Last chapter 2 years ago... Well fuck it, this is what we get I guess.

Dex-chan lover
Came into these comments thinking the translation was godawful, and looking to see what other people had said about it. After seeing how willing you are to learn and improve, though, I'm left still thinking that the translation is pretty godawful, but I'm a lot less upset about that.
One thing I'd recommend, though, is that as you improve and figure things out more, you should come back to this chapter later and redo it to get a better, more accurate translation going. MangaDex allows you to edit and reupload stuff (I don't know the details of how it works, but I know groups have uploaded corrections to existing chapters before), so doing that here would be great so that we can actually get a better sense of what's actually happening.

Dex-chan lover
Whew, that was... a bit rough.

I can still follow the story while reading this after an edible, so it's not utter shit, but... it's really rough, dude. Honestly, even kinda bad.
That said, I can tell that you tried, and I appreciate having the chance to read this story. So, thanks there! I really do appreciate it; I actually like this story.

Keep improving, and I'm sure this will look a ton better in the future; I'd love a chance to re-read this, after you've had the chance.

Thanks

Dex-chan lover
Why are you even translating this when it has an official english license? not hating just wondering.

Dex-chan lover
But... J Novel Club sells DRM-free books. You get an epub file that you can put on any device and own until the end of time. Like, they're one of the few major publishers that actually does it.
Still its too expensive for a digital only release, if they were smart they would team up with an actual publisher and print real books instead of a file on a computer you can easily lose, especially if J-Novel ever goes out of business. + Apparently its now Licensed out to Azuki, which is a subscription model.

Dex-chan lover
Always good to see scanlators giving J-Novel the finger.
I don't even know why they are necessary for this series, Bookwalker actually did an official english translation, they are just scummy middlemen atp.

Contributor
Still its too expensive for a digital only release, if they were smart they would team up with an actual publisher and print real books instead of a file on a computer you can easily lose, especially if J-Novel ever goes out of business. + Apparently its now Licensed out to Azuki, which is a subscription model.
They do. Usually it’s with Yen Press, their sister company, or Square Enix who published physical versions of The Apothecary Diaries.

So it all depends if there’s demand for a physical. Let your voice be heard.

Dex-chan lover
They do. Usually it’s with Yen Press, their sister company, or Square Enix who published physical versions of The Apothecary Diaries.

So it all depends if there’s demand for a physical. Let your voice be heard.
Its whatever atp, since Yen press usually waits about two years after each book releases to publish in the U.S, if I'm gonna buy one online I'll buy it from Bookwalker.

Group Leader
Just a little help from a fellow scanlator. If you're looking to improve your scalations, there is a discord available that deals with all steps of the scanlating process and how to properly do each section. There's even tests you can practice on and get advice on from experienced people in each area. I highly recommend joining it. I don't have the link anymore but I'm sure someone in the MangaDex discord can probably provide you with it. There's also countless YT vids on the scanlating process as well. You'd be amazed how much work can go into a single chapter. lol

Here's a hurrah to your future endeavors and improvement.

Cheers~ 🍻

PS: Also if you do get hold of that link, by all means share it to other newbie scanlators to give em a hand. :salute:

Users who are viewing this thread