Welcome to the Ballroom - Ch. 56 - The Gazing One

You know I used to think the manga was setting up Chinatsu to leave Tatara, and that Tatara would eventually pair up with Shizuku, based on the prologue where we see him dancing at Blackpool with a black-haired lady.

But I don't think that's the case anymore. Structure-wise I think it would be weird for Tatara to pair up with Shizuku after all the struggles he had with Chinatsu. The Metropolitan Tournament arc dragged for a long time, partly due to the author's ongoing health issues, so a lot of reader had a lot of time to get to know Chinatsu. She's not a disposable Girl of the Week, we get to her struggles and development were on par with the screen time taken for Tatara's struggles and development.

Thematically, Chinatsu and Tatara were compared implicitly with Sengoku and Chizuru, a pair with a similar dynamics that became a dominant force in ballroom dancing, foreshadowing Chinatsu and Tatara's porential. Chinatsu had a similar background with Chizuru, and the Chitara pair's acrimonius relationship off the stage also mirrors Sengoku and Chizuru's relationship. In contrast, the Kiyoharu-Shizuku pair and the Gaju-Mako pair has a more peaceful relationship.

Fed-Kun's army
Ahhh, that new Arc fresh smell. Love it.

Speaking of love, I'm finally giving this series a high score.

Am I the only one that mothers tatara? Like he literally is my child at this point, he’s adorable, innocent and just so precious. I get really protective over him as a character. The amount of anxiety this manga gives me is not good for my health.

Dex-chan lover
IDK what to feel man. I was expecting Tatara to at least be a bit worried about those bugs in his eye... hopefully it doesn't go a shitload of chapters without being addressed just to fuck him in the middle of the competition.

Dex-chan lover
Did a little rereading and saw that Muroi seems to have started with his interest in Fujita since chapter 17. Wewww. Even started defending him the next chapter when Chii-chan was calling his interest in ballroom dancing lame. I wonder when we’ll get the exact specifics on why he became interested in Fujita.

@Motomoto And plus, the comments from the gallery (Kiyoharu, Gaju, Shizuku) during the competition pretty explicitly described Chinatsu as someone with top-tier potential. It would be weird to dump her after telling us that.

I really thought the author would use some excuse to get rid of Chinatsu after the tournament when the arc first started. I really like her so this is a pleasant surprise.
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how their relationship continues to grows, even if they eventually part ways.

Dex-chan lover
... what kind of interviewer doesn't check the responses of the interviewee?
He skipped the question about why he started dancing and then stopped looking at Tatara. Sure, it depends on the kind of interview. Is it about a politician trying to pass a new corrup law along a bunch of other good laws? Then sure, keep asking away without keeping in mind how the interviewee is feeling, but for most interviews you want to know the other person and get information out of your conversation. You can only do so, if the other person is willing to talk to you, so your job as an interviewer is to make them feel like they can tell you anything. This guy either has another job or probably doesn't have much money, because he sucks at his job.

Users who are viewing this thread