What code editor do you use and why?

Dex-chan lover
VS2019 Enterprise, mostly because that's what they offer at work.

We use it because my team mainly writes in C#. I myself also maintain both the front and back ends of a small web UI in addition to (read: instead of) the main product, the backened is also written in C# so I use VS for that project as well - but despite all of that, most of my actual total workload is on the frontend for that website, so I end up spending like 85% of my time writing JS in VS of all things like an actual masochist :huh:

For me, it's steam chat in big picture mode.
:chad:

Dex-chan lover
The entire JetBrains family. I will go thru trouble to streamline my workflow and make it work with those IDEs. I refuse to code without them.
For quick editing I guess notepad++ on windows and vi on other platforms.
I prefer JetBrains whenever possible. I use VSCode on my MacBook Air because Apple think it’s a good idea to sell $1000 laptops with 8GB of RAM in 2022 (when I bought it) and 2024

Dex-chan lover
I prefer JetBrains whenever possible. I use VSCode on my MacBook Air because Apple think it’s a good idea to sell $1000 laptops with 8GB of RAM in 2022 (when I bought it) and 2024
If it's not possible to run the thing, I'll just buy a laptop capable of running one and file it under company expenses. Though, I probably will just use my monster PC to code and use the laptop to SSH only.

Dex-chan lover
If it's not possible to run the thing, I'll just buy a laptop capable of running one and file it under company expenses. Though, I probably will just use my monster PC to code and use the laptop to SSH only.
I’m a student, ain’t nobody paying me for my laptop

Dex-chan lover
What country did you go to school in? I have to take out $35k of student loans every year, they sure as hell ain’t giving me freebies
singapore
scholarship didn't cover these extra expenses, had to convince professors to cover my ass

Group Leader
really? im on a thinkpad with like 8gb of ram and clion seems to work just fine for schoolwork. if its a really big project i think jetbrains let u connect to ur home machine

Dex-chan lover
really? im on a thinkpad with like 8gb of ram and clion seems to work just fine for schoolwork. if its a really big project i think jetbrains let u connect to ur home machine
It's fine for small stuff but anything medium sized or up and it starts to not have a fun time

Dex-chan lover
It's fine for small stuff but anything medium sized or up and it starts to not have a fun time
Guess it depends on how many plugins you want to run as well. I remember it running quite ok on my shitty laptop with 4 gigs of memory for a decently sized project (40k lines) + server deployment for debugging (directly from pycharm) + some extra stuff (browser, music, excel).

Damn it was almost a decade ago.

Users who are viewing this thread