What determines a good ecchi/smut series?

Dex-chan lover
I had a train of thought and just got more curious about this as time goes on. What really determines the difference between ecchi trash and ecchi gold? Where do we draw the line?

For one, we can all tell what ecchi trash is. It's simply ecchi for the sake of ecchi - it does not improve the quality of the series in any way and is there just for the sake of it. It's alike gore for the sake of shock factor: cheap and bad.

So... What differentiates moderate-ecchi from amazing-ecchi? Is it the impact of sexual attractiveness of the characters which posses a certain impact to the plot and character interaction dynamics? Is it that it must contain a certain layer of believability set by plot points and character personality? Is only a fanservice-level of ecchi acceptable and anything beyond that is just softcore hentai?

Anyways, I'm interested in starting a conversation about this.

Dex-chan lover
The passion.
If I can feel the author's love for boobs and panty shots, it's good in my book.

Dex-chan lover
I haven't seen any ecchi in a while, been enjoying time with games more, but I am certain that being believable is necessary, but somehow pulls your attention. I didn't wanna see some random guy fall face first into tits if they run into some girl even though she is shorter. Even if the act is believable due to preceding events, I think it'd be more interesting if unexpected but amazing and logical circumstances cause those "moments" we enjoy. To further keep things enjoyable, personally I try to latch onto something if there is minor romance to the story. If both parties have no interest in each other, it feels like "Sexual Harassment: the Animation", but that might be just me.

I think a good made example would be an anime where the main protagonist works for a circus, and is a really good acrobat, but wants to hide this job from his peers. A girl (or more) discover this fact, has interests in the show (for whatever reason) and eventually the MC, and gets wrapped up in the shenanigans one dreams up for a circus performer and girl(s).

One scene could be that there's a big show that's planned, but one of the performers have for some reason become unable to perform. Girl volunteers to be a replacement, getting an idea of MC's life and they practice acrobatics together for a while. You know that part where they swing off of a hanging bar thing and latch onto each other? I think it's Trapeze. What's gonna happen is that MC swings off a little too late, flying up higher than what is needed to be able to grab her arms/legs/whatever is lower, instead flying straight to her abdomen or chest area. Too close for comfort, but if he lets go, the momentum pushed them to the far side of the safety netting, so he might get flung off and hurt himself. Whether or not he does, and how soon, is up to the authors discretion.

Holy shit, I wrote a rough outline for a script

is a Reindeer
VIP
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
>What determines a good ecchi series
When little chub becomes bigg chubb, otherwise it's not effective and thus a failure of the genre

Dex-chan lover
@Plykiya
Is it possible,
could it be you're an ass man?
worshipper of mounds.

a3f.gif

is a Reindeer
VIP
@EOTFOFYL It was a beautiful day in my life when I discovered that asses have the same consistency as boobs, but more thicc

Dex-chan lover
Boobs are great. Boobs make titty fuck possible. Without them the female has to work with mouth, hole, hands, feet(eww) and certain toys. A certain manga about a callgirl shows working with her hips but I can't really imagine how a customer would mistake that as her hole. 🙄

@Plykiya
Please add futa tag to avoid my eyes burning. Healing magic is too expensive.

Dex-chan lover
Dyson jokes, flat justice, and "teacher, I did not know we can fit like a glove in a broom closet!"

Dex-chan lover
how did it changed? tell me. curios desuwa
I have been reading a lot more Ecchi, be it romcoms or poorly slapped-together isekais, and I have become obsessive over rooting for Tomboys and Childhood friends. I feel like my braincells have deteriorated since the first time I had posted in this thread. There is one thing that has remained consistent, though.
How many femboys there are. The more, the better.
he's now homo
MY BURNING HATRED FOR TRAPS/FEMBOYS/"GIRL-MODERS", YOU SICK FUCKS ARE OVERSATURATING THE ENVIRONMENT TO THE POINT WHERE REVERSE-TRAPS ARE OBSCURE CONCEPTS ALMOST FORGOTTEN BY TIME. I ALSO DESPISE FUJOSHIS AND YAOI, BUT THAT DISTASTE IS LIKE A CANDLE BEFORE THE WILDFIRE OF MY HATRED.

*cough
If I am to change and simplify my long and convoluted stance on good vs bad ecchi, it is whether or not my heart gets an erection. There has to be symbolic value or plot-relevance to what I see, and for the better. A shower scene could be used to emphasize a character's emotional vulnerability before their conviction solidifies, skinship at a mixed bath onsen deepening trust and intimacy between two characters, something that's more productive to the overall narrative and less voyeuristic for the sake of voyeurism. If it's something that would be visually censored, it shouldn't be seen as such a drastic loss (i.e. massive black bars) but something that can be appreciated as is on it's own artistic merits (skillful application of steam or other such convenient blockades) before and after the uncensored version releases, if ever.

Users who are viewing this thread