What's with the latest updates? Why is it so bad?

Dex-chan lover
I'm really reluctant to using Mangadex's latest update because of how bad it is. Mostly, I go to other websites, look at the updates there and come back to Mangadex to actually read it. I just can't stand this site's latest updates. It's inconsistent; sometimes, it would have 25 entries per page, and sometimes 6 entries. And an entry can show up twice between 2 pages. And while I can understand that as mangas get updated, the first entry will get pushed to the next page, that's not what's happening. Most of the time, the same manga(s) will exist in the 2 pages simultaneously even if you go back and forth between them.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
That's just how Mangadex works. Your priority is titles while Mangadex's is individual chapters.
I'm not sure what your ideal updates page is like but you can fiddle around with the "Items per page" setting to see if you can make it better

Contributor
I'm really reluctant to using Mangadex's latest update because of how bad it is. Mostly, I go to other websites, look at the updates there and come back to Mangadex to actually read it. I just can't stand this site's latest updates. It's inconsistent; sometimes, it would have 25 entries per page, and sometimes 6 entries. And an entry can show up twice between 2 pages. And while I can understand that as mangas get updated, the first entry will get pushed to the next page, that's not what's happening. Most of the time, the same manga(s) will exist in the 2 pages simultaneously even if you go back and forth between them.
Most pages that list out chapters (latest updates, user feed, etc.) try to group chapters from the same title together instead of listing them all out individually.

If a group chapters for a single title exceeds a certain number (i think its 5) the additional chapters get hidden until you click "show more". The unfortunate side effect is that it makes it look like the page is not showing the requested number of chapters even though it actually is.

Dex-chan lover
That's just how Mangadex works. Your priority is titles while Mangadex's is individual chapters.
I'm not sure what your ideal updates page is like but you can fiddle around with the "Items per page" setting to see if you can make it better
That's such an ass backwards way of doing it tho. You'd only ever need to know the latest chapter of a manga and since mangadex already have the feature of marking the already read chapters, you don't even need to know what chapter you last read. So you just need to see the latest chapter, look at where you last left off and just start from there. There's no need for this doubling of titles. For one, it's just plain confusing and two, it clutters the update page.

Dex-chan lover
Seems to me like you are not making any suggestion, just ranting because you don't like the way chapters are retrieved on the updates page.
Here, let me fix that for you, and propose an actual suggestion based on what I understood is your problem:

Because mass uploads are grouped together, sometimes the updates page will only show a few mangas. Having an option to load more chapters, and keep it in a single page, would allow to display content in a more natural way, rather than having to load a full new page.

If the user does not read every day, or has a long list of mangas, with regular uploads, because the updates page displays the most recent content first, unread content from a single manga can be split in entries on different pages. Having an option to load more chapters from a specific manga, and allowing to remove read chapters from the updates, would allow to see the progress on a manga level better, without having to go on the manga page every time.

Dex-chan lover
Seems to me like you are not making any suggestion, just ranting because you don't like the way chapters are retrieved on the updates page.
Here, let me fix that for you, and propose an actual suggestion based on what I understood is your problem:

Because mass uploads are grouped together, sometimes the updates page will only show a few mangas. Having an option to load more chapters, and keep it in a single page, would allow to display content in a more natural way, rather than having to load a full new page.

If the user does not read every day, or has a long list of mangas, with regular uploads, because the updates page displays the most recent content first, unread content from a single manga can be split in entries on different pages. Having an option to load more chapters from a specific manga, and allowing to remove read chapters from the updates, would allow to see the progress on a manga level better, without having to go on the manga page every time.
You didn't fix anything. What I want is just put the title of a manga smack dab in the updates page, show the latest uploads grouped together in that entry, remove the previous entry rather than doubling the titles and make the updates page a little less confusing. If there's too much uploads, use drop downs. And make the entries per page consistent because it's very disorienting seeing a page have 6 entries while another has 25.

File Attacher
Staff
Super Moderator
Just putting this here since it's related, even though it doesn't show anything definitive. ('tis a comment from tristan about it though)

Grug said on Discord: ->

Bit of a bug with the Updates page. I subscribed to Black Angels because several hundred chapters were uploaded yesterday. Now it looks like if there are enough chapters uploaded it will be the only work that appears on a page.
image.png

Tristan 9 said on Discord: ->

Known technical limitation, alas. If you click "show all" it will be clear why that's happening
since the updates page is a list of chapters, not a list of titles :nyoron:

Grug said on Discord: ->

Any chance we can get updates to work like Youtube Updates did in 2017? Where each work would appear once, sorted by newest chapter date, instead of works appearing multiple times in the list.
Youtube right now does it by video, regardless of source, so someone like a music channel floods my displays and I can miss people that don't update often.

Tristan 9 said on Discord: ->

We'll see what we can do in the future, but for now we can't
these are likely the same fundamental reasons for why youtube (and pretty much everyone else) can't do it nicely either

Dex-chan lover
What I want is just put the title of a manga smack dab in the updates page
It already is there? Even in the list form, the updates page shows the manga title and creates a "card" with the list of chapters.

show the latest uploads grouped together in that entry
This is also done. For instance, in my updates, I can see that Mairimashita! Iruma-kun has 2 chapters, one from 16 hours ago and one from 2 days ago, even though there are chapters uploaded between those two after that.

remove the previous entry rather than doubling the titles and make the updates page a little less confusing
The grouped up chapters will not be doubled, and the titles will not be doubled on the same page. If you see the same title in the next page, it's because it loaded older chapters. Hence my suggestion to avoid the view by page and allow to load older chapter for a single title.

If there's too much uploads, use drop downs. And make the entries per page consistent because it's very disorienting seeing a page have 6 entries while another has 25.
It does that... with the card view at least. When there is a batch upload, it will only show 3 chapters, with a "Show all" button to display more.
And the entries are consistent, only it is the same number of chapters, and what you want is the same number of titles every time.

So yeah, once again, you didn't suggest anything.

Dex-chan lover
It already is there? Even in the list form, the updates page shows the manga title and creates a "card" with the list of chapters.

This is also done. For instance, in my updates, I can see that Mairimashita! Iruma-kun has 2 chapters, one from 16 hours ago and one from 2 days ago, even though there are chapters uploaded between those two after that.

The grouped up chapters will not be doubled, and the titles will not be doubled on the same page. If you see the same title in the next page, it's because it loaded older chapters. Hence my suggestion to avoid the view by page and allow to load older chapter for a single title.

It does that... with the card view at least. When there is a batch upload, it will only show 3 chapters, with a "Show all" button to display more.
And the entries are consistent, only it is the same number of chapters, and what you want is the same number of titles every time.

So yeah, once again, you didn't suggest anything.
Are you talking about the followed updates page or the general latest updates page? I'm referring to the updates page under the titles tab. In there, I can see 2 titles simultaneously on two pages no matter how many times I go back and forth between them. By clicking the next and previous pages and not by switching tabs.

Rn, I can see Misegatari no Tsuyuno-chan (I don't read but is the latest one I can see) as the 2nd entry of page 4, showing solely chapter 1.2. But in the next page over, page 5, it's there again on the 3rd entry; this time, showing solely chapter 1.1. And yeah, titles will not be doubled on the same page, but it will on separate pages, which is what I'm complaining about.

And no, the entries aren't consistent with chapters as well. One page has 25 chapters regardless of the titles, and another has 12. It's very inconsistent. And I don't care if I didn't suggest anything. This is a rant and you can see on the title that I'm asking a question.

I'm asking why can it be so bad. And is there a way to make sense of this mess? Because it's so gosh darn bad. And the comment above you, which you liked, already acknowledged the complains that I have (I didn't know that), but you still tried to counter it.

Dex-chan lover
Are you talking about the followed updates page or the general latest updates page? I'm referring to the updates page under the titles tab. In there, I can see 2 titles simultaneously on two pages no matter how many times I go back and forth between them. By clicking the next and previous pages and not by switching tabs.

Rn, I can see Misegatari no Tsuyuno-chan (I don't read but is the latest one I can see) as the 2nd entry of page 4, showing solely chapter 1.2. But in the next page over, page 5, it's there again on the 3rd entry; this time, showing solely chapter 1.1. And yeah, titles will not be doubled on the same page, but it will on separate pages, which is what I'm complaining about.
This is the same between latest updates and followed updates: the chapters are grouped if they are on the same page. Every time you make a request, because of pagination it fetches a number of chapters per page, and because the pages are separate, it will not link the chapters between every page. If you want to limit that, there is an option in the settings to increase the number of items to load per page. As you'll have more items, you will be more likely to have grouped releases, to some extent.

And no, the entries aren't consistent with chapters as well. One page has 25 chapters regardless of the titles, and another has 12. It's very inconsistent.
This may be related to your content settings. Some of the content is filtered in the frontend, because it would be too computationally costly to filter on the database calls, so it is probably that you are getting the right number of chapters from the server, but then your browser only displays a part of them. It could happen if you have blocked groups or users that did mass releases, and were filtered after the query to the server.

And I don't care if I didn't suggest anything. This is a rant and you can see on the title that I'm asking a question.
Well ok, but this forum has a structure, and this post is made in the "suggestions" section. Since you're ranting about what you think is an issue (not getting the correct number of chapters), maybe it should have been in the "support" section instead?
I've tried a few things, and it doesn't seem like the chapter/original language or content filters have an effect on the number of chapters retrieved, so I believe it should only be the blocked groups and uploaders that have an effect. If you don't have anything there, posting in the "support" section would make sense, as it is likely an issue with the chapter retrieval.

Users who are viewing this thread