When I Returned to My Hometown, My Childhood Friend was Broken

Dex-chan lover
How would you know that for sure? You a time traveler?

Kyouko was gang-raped by older students at (or after) a college mixer. This was suggested by Kyouko's nightmare in chapter 28 and explained to Touma by her elderly neighbors in chapter 31. The attack, which resulted in criminal charges against the rapists, prompted Kyouko to drop out of school and move back home, where she has since become a depressed, socially withdrawn neet.

Re: Anvel, I don't see any reason to think Kyouko has been abandoned by her relatives or that they blame her for the assault. The old lady next door blamed her passively ("should have been more careful"), but she's just a thoughtless neighborhood gossip. Nor is there any indication that Kyouko consciously blames herself, though her sense of self-worth is clearly diminished.

Agree that it's a fairly grim tale. Similar to [mangaka] Zyugoya's Divorced Crybaby Neighbor series, but several shades darker. Still, like all of Zyugoya's stories, it seems to be headed in a hopeful direction.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Kyouko was gang-raped by older students at a college mixer. This is suggested by Kyouko's nightmare in chapter 28 and explained to Touma by her elderly neighbors in chapter 31. The incident, which resulted in criminal charges against the rapists, caused Kyouko to drop out of school and move back home. She has since become a depressed, socially withdrawn neet.

Re: @Anvel , I don't see any reason to think that Kyouko has been abandoned by her relatives or that they blame her. The old lady next door passively blames her ("she should have been more careful"), but that sort of response is sadly common. Nor is there any indication that Kyouko consciously blames herself, though her sense of self-worth is clearly diminished.

Agree that it's a fairly grim story. Similar to [mangaka] Zyugoya's My Divorced Crybaby Neighbor, but several shades darker. Still, like all of Zyugoya's stories, it's headed in a hopeful direction.
I remember the geriatric chatterboxes, but the story was vague at best with little to no details. Also I don't remember any of the rest of the "spoiler" details that other guy dropped, that's why I thought maybe the story is a few chapters ahead for fanbox subs.

Fed-Kun's army
Man I’m so glad they’re gonna get married
I like how she’s just letting the pink hair dye go too and letting her blonde grow out

Double-page supporter
So theres no confusion, they didn't have a wedding in a traditional "western" way. They got a marriage license and did staged photos, but there was otherwise no big ceremony or reception, or anything like that

So theres no confusion, they didn't have a wedding in a traditional "western" way. They got a marriage license and did staged photos, but there was otherwise no big ceremony or reception, or anything like that
Indeed. In the western term a "shot gun" or court house wedding I believe. Nice photos for the memory and to send to relatives and friends. Either way, nearly brings a tear to my eyes.

Dex-chan lover
You can read the whole saga as a long (187-page) oneshot incorporating all official chapters and lewd fanbox extras here.

Double-page supporter
Indeed. In the western term a "shot gun" or court house wedding I believe. Nice photos for the memory and to send to relatives and friends. Either way, nearly brings a tear to my eyes.
I wouldn't say Shot Gun, that generally implies it was forced for some reason. But yes, court house is accurate.

She mentions that she's a lightweight who can't handle alcohol, and then proves this by passing out after a single drink.
Her nightmare that sends her running into the MC's arms shows a younger version of her drinking, with an indistinct male form in the background. She's a terrified shut-in who can't handle being seen by people.
It's pretty unambiguous what happened to her, even before the old people started gossiping.

She was hanging out with a bunch of older boys from college and tried drinking (possibly for the first time) she passed out and was sexually assaulted.

The fucked up part is that the old people (her parents or neighbours? It's unclear) put blame on her for being careless and say that she's 'broken' now, which is a very Japanese way of approaching things. Blaming the victim.
And they specifically mention "It was so bad that arrests were made."
Which implies that there's a kind of gangrape that isn't bad enough that people go to jail for it.

Also, her changing her hair back in the last chapter is a little...
It kind of smacks of "He took good care of her and she eventually healed and went back to how she used to be." which... I mean I get it, and she does look better like that, but it kind of implies that her experience actually broke her and now she's finally been put back together again.
Like everything she did and accomplished until now didn't count because she wasn't really herself or something.

I dunno, her being healthy and happy but with the pink hair would have maybe been more fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread