When the Villainess Is in Love - Ch. 3

Aggregator gang
@WLeung It's super sus, but I'm assuming his door doesn't actually have a lock on it, thus his only option was to put something in the way. Why he randomly has chain and a lock are beyond me, but I guess that was the only thing he could think of to ensure her privacy as they discuss her apparently very serious condition.

MeDiEVal sToRY she says, while writing with a fountain pen.
Please. Stop assuming everything before the 20th century is medieval.
And now I shall get back to reading the chapter.

Contributor
"I'm a bit dizzy and I've been coughing blood but I feel fine."—This sounds like the sort of dumb thing I might say to my own doctor. XD

@I_need_a_break:

While your point is well-made, fountain pens are a pretty mild transgression by the standards of these things. They're at least distinctly pre-industrial-revolution and don't require any advanced metallurgy or manufacturing techniques or some-such, and there's evidence da Vinci may have made a working one (so, renaissance) which is enough to consider that royalty might have gotten one. Given a little leeway for things being developed sooner or later in some alternate universe, it's not inconceivable.

I mean, almost all of these stories are de-facto set, by all appearances, in renaissance or later periods. Medieval stuff just doesn't have enough frills in the commoner's dresses in town, the confectionery isn't up to par for a shoujo-y manga, there's not even tea. The moment you've introduced tea in your story it's not really medieval Europe you're talking about anymore.

Not that any of these are claiming to be historically accurate, of course. The question seems to be more whether "medieval" is even an apt description, in even the broadest of terms.

I have always believed the crux of the matter was that, "medieval" is a word that also has informal use as just "old-timey primitive stuff before industrialisation", whereas "renaissance" and later periods only refer to specific times in Earth-history, which seem weird to many of us to use when describing a fantasy world. (Though it could come down to some other totally inaccurate thinking reinforced over the years, too, like: "Renaissance means muskets; medieval means no gunpowder")

The only one of these I've read that actually felt convincingly medieval (dirty, drab, gritty, feudal, chauvinistic and horrific) is Emperor and the female knight and I think it itself demonstrates why we don't usually do that (even if I do quite like the series).

Woah, I somehow just kept talking for way too long there, sorry. XD

the whole time I was like 'please don't be bad please don't be bad please don't be bad'😣

@Pokari It's quite alright, I love don't mind long comments written by informed, sensible people.

I agree with you, and I wouldn't mind the fountain pen that much if it wasn't for the fact that none of these stories, except for Emperor and the Female Knight, which you have mentioned, As You Wish, Prince and maybe Crimson Karma has a medieval air going on. The way you described the periods in which they are set, "old-timey primitive stuff before industrialization", is much more accurate, from the pov of those writing them, at least. And even then, some manhwas definitely have a post industrialization, usually 19th century, feeling. (Elise, anyone?)

But then, if designating these ages as "Renaissance" or "Age of Enlightenment" in fantasy manhwas feels off, why are we still talking about Medieval Ages? Shouldn't the same concept be applied? I fully understand it's because we dont have any other terms to describe these periods, so might as well apply the correct terms... or the closest one. I mean these comics are an amalgamation of everything "old fashioned", with a dash (or a lump, in some cases) of modernism, so it would be quite hard to pinpoint them.

Now, my problem with using the term "medieval", even as a broad term describing any era before the 20th century, is it reinforces the idea that everything then was dirty and primitive, and that every person was ignorant, uncivilized and, pardon the expression, dumber than dumb, because of the erroneous, deplorable connotation the word "medieval" has. I would argue not even medieval Europe was this bad (well, at least, not during the whole period, which lasted quite a while, as you surely know already).

So I wrote too much and it might be a bit all over the place, pardon me (٥↼_↼)

Man I was ready to jump out the window when he locked the door, nice man but bruh.

Dex-chan lover
Man, when he whipped out the chains, was not expecting him to just be worried for her.

Fashion blog entry 3: today’s dress for our MC is amazing! Full respect points awarded to the artist! It seems like my earlier fears of ugly dresses was unfounded. Perhaps only the heroine has bad taste in dresses?

Daniel wil probs be ml im calling it and oml i was panicking sn when the doctor suddenly locked the door thank goodness he’s nice😖😖

Users who are viewing this thread