Who actually actively buys Manga?

Who actually actively buys Manga?

• I can buy Manga?

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Does donating to scanlators count? (no, it doesn't)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Does buying used Manga count? (no, it doesn't)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Yes (> 50 volumes / year)

Votes: 20 10.7%
  • Yes (<= 50 volumes / year)

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • Yes (<= 20 volumes / year)

Votes: 79 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 51 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Double-page supporter
I don't buy physical version - I have no space for it.

I tried digital versions from bookwalker but dropped it very fast - their quality is (literally) shit.

Contributor
Have you tried Amazon.co.jp instead? Some of the manga quality are decent/good.

Dex-chan lover
I still buy them, probably 20-30 books per year. (Not including Light Novel and Doujinshi)

PS. I chose the wrong choice when voted lol.

Group Leader
I buy manga before. there was a physical bookstore in our place that releases manga and since I was a student, a volume of a manga is expensive to me. so, I saved up a lot to buy them alteast once a month.

Sadly, the store closed up and never reopened. and never bought manga then after. I'm planning on buying manga online too but I'm looking at some online shop that sells them at the definite price. and also the shipping. ^^

Dex-chan lover
uhh, I bought about 1-4 per week, depends on the series that i'm currently following. But yeah usually theres at least 1 volume of one of the series im following to be released.

The only minus from buying physical manga is that in a rare occasion they changed the translator and then suddenly the term used become different, the quality of the translation itself is pretty acceptable for me another minus is censored ver and publisher wont release hardcore ecchi series. The plus is... idk man, it just become a habit after i keep buying one and another, and its quite fun to just blind buy a series that you dont even know and judge it just by the cover artwork (i'm looking at you series with only 2-4 books)

By now I already owned probably more than 800 books since i've been buying it for more than 10 years.

Aggregator gang
I buy on rare occasions, mostly because shops that sell manga are far from where I live and I am a huge cheapskate. I don't even have enough to the point I need a bookcase, but they're nice to have.

Dex-chan lover
Been regularly buying them since I was 16, and I still do whenever I go to my family home for the holidays. Manga in my country are a lot cheaper than their US/UK counterparts, albeit smaller. Since I'm friends with the store owner, it's a good opportunity to share suggestions and chat. Besides, I just enjoy owning and reading physical copies of series I like, since I go back and re-read them often; nothing beats getting comfortable with a stack of manga volumes in the winter.

Dex-chan lover
I buy some volumes a year, not too many. I only buy manga translated into my native tongue. Not awfully lot is published here, though, and of those I can then only select the ones catching my interest, like Yotsuba&, Otoyomegatari, etc. I made this decision to support the (especially back then) small manga culture over here and the use of my native language in literature in general. My bookshelves are full of books in English as it is, so I decided to make a statement with manga, at the very least.

I buy a good bit of manga, mostly from Amazon because it's easy to keep track of series that go several months between releases. It's usually 2-4 volumes a month, depending on what's getting released. I've been buying manga since around 2000 or thereabouts, that first boom in the US. There's just something about physical books that reading on a screen can't quite capture.

The big hardcover omnibuses that some series have been getting lately are especially nice, like the Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin series or Queen Emeraldas. I seem to remember Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind got one a few years ago, too. Come to think of it, most of the ones I can think of are reprintings of classic series. I suppose publishers think they'd appeal to older fans willing to part with a few bucks.

My house is already over-run with books. My wife used to be a book reviewer and publishers sent her stuff in her genres plus other titles from the same imprints. We are both long-time bibliophiles. Having worked really hard to free up space by donating a few thousand volumes, I'm reluctant to by hard copy manga. E-copy manga is dicey because English language publishers come and go so frequently. Too bad the Kindle platform isn't better for manga reading.

Yes, I do, and I have for almost 20 years now. In the early days I bought manga I couldn't find scanlated online and these days I'm trying to get a hold of all the series I fell in love with but didn't purchase (like Hikaru no Go, it's one of my favourites but I've only just recently started to buy the volumes). I shouldn't buy more as I'm stacking them into towers from the floor up above my head after I ran out of bookshelves but sometimes you just got to do what you got to do.

Fed-Kun's army
I do. Less than before (until 3 years ago I used to spend more or less 200 €/month in comics of various nationalities, now I can't anymore), but I'm still buying my favourite series. Most of whom I've discovered here...

Dex-chan lover
Does buying used Manga count? (no, it doesn't)
Shit, next time I am gonna pay 50k for a new car instead of 30k for a used car, gotta support the local car industry!
... Yeah, totally.

Contributor
@BirchJuice
Shit, next time I am gonna pay 50k for a new car instead of 30k for a used car, gotta support the local car industry!

Good fallacy. They're not apples to apples. Perhaps I should've been more clear in the title. This poll is more for seeing who contributes in a way that directly supports the publisher/author.

Sem

Dex-chan lover
I don't have a lot of disposable income, and I have to move often, so I don't want to accumulate too many material possessions. It doesn't help that many of the series I actually want aren't available locally and won't have translations for a while, so I end up having to import it. Shipping is occasionally more expensive than the book itself.
Buying manga is a very carefully considered treat for me, and I'll usually buy 10 volumes of my absolute must haves a year. They'll be usually chosen based on either their art (so I can use it as reference for my own work) or a sheer love for the series. There aren't very many that impact me that strongly thankfully.

But there's one series that's throwing me way off balance and that's Witch Hat Atelier. It shot into my heart so fast and gripped it tightly and every time I see a limited edition something or other on the author's Twitter, my heart is in pain.

I bought an art book for it that ended up being over $250 and I still have to pay to ship it overseas through a process and idk how much that'll end up.

Ahhh, that pretty much depletes my book budget for the year.

Power Uploader
I don't. Reasons

1. I don't have enough money to spend on manga

2. Reading manga is a just a hobby for me

3. I don't finish most manga I start

Not sure I would even spend money on manga now even if I could. Might have done 5 years ago, not anymore.

Contributor
Obviously.
I don't enjoy a lot reading manga digitally (ironic to say something like this here huh ? ahah), reading real manga is MUCH BETTER for me, like, really really better.

I use mangadex/reddit to discover new series, read them a bit, and if i really like it, then i will try to buy it.

I spend something like 60/100 Euros each month for mangas (i'm french, so we have a lot of choice here, and it don't cost too much).

Nic

I buy manga only when caught my interest like giant killing right now that i tried to buy with limited budget i had. I bought one piece, detective conan, and naruro but since the 3 is long series i can't buy it anymore with budget i can spent

Dex-chan lover
I buy manga that I read and liked on the internet when it comes out in French, so I reread them. Sometimes it gets released faster in French than it is scanlated so it’s a bonus.

I do it to support the authors and because I like physical copies. I have a few hundreds or so.

I import print copies from Japan for things I love and want to help. I hate official English releases, especially Viz because of their garbage sound effect redraws, so I never support the English market.

Users who are viewing this thread