Witch Craft Works Extra - Vol. 2 Ch. 21 - Kazane and Komachi-san's bond

Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 21, 2018
Messages
3,172
too bad almost nobody gives a shit anymore. also sad that this lore dump happened well after the original series ended.
either way, thanks for the translation.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Apr 10, 2018
Messages
1,608
too bad almost nobody gives a shit anymore. also sad that this lore dump happened well after the original series ended.
either way, thanks for the translation.
The fact that they are still releasing more of these extra chapters to this day makes me wonder why the series ended in the first place. I feel like if the sales were bad it wouldn't have got this continuation.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
196
The fact that they are still releasing more of these extra chapters to this day makes me wonder why the series ended in the first place. I feel like if the sales were bad it wouldn't have got this continuation.
I started following the manga when it first started releasing. Based on the artwork, environmental storytelling, and other small details, it's clear the author really cared about the world she was building. I can only speculate that she created a lot of backstory and lore that just never made it into the main series because it didn't fit the pacing of the story.

I think it was just time to end it. The main series ran for 12 years. That's a long time for a series that, as much as I love the art and characters, doesn't actually have a very deep plot. The final arc was actually announced a year before it ended. So I think it was less about sales and more about the author wanting to close out the series on her own terms, while still releasing these extra chapters so she could put out the side material at her own pace. You can tell the artwork in these extra chapters isn't nearly as detailed as the main series, which fits that theory too.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
May 22, 2019
Messages
424
I started following the manga when it first started releasing. Based on the artwork, environmental storytelling, and other small details, it's clear the author really cared about the world she was building. I can only speculate that she created a lot of backstory and lore that just never made it into the main series because it didn't fit the pacing of the story.

I think it was just time to end it. The main series ran for 12 years. That's a long time for a series that, as much as I love the art and characters, doesn't actually have a very deep plot. The final arc was actually announced a year before it ended. So I think it was less about sales and more about the author wanting to close out the series on her own terms, while still releasing these extra chapters so she could put out the side material at her own pace. You can tell the artwork in these extra chapters isn't nearly as detailed as the main series, which fits that theory too.
If I remember correctly, the author was having health issues and the series went on hiatus for some time. The series isn't that long for a 12 year run, yet the ending was rushed, with various issues attached to that. Characters getting dumber, plotlines dropped, powers being used less creatively or just flat out dumbly for no explained reason (giant Evermillion with giant flails).

I think you have the right of it. This is probably just a passion project for the author to tie up some of the stuff she didn't get to originally.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
196
If I remember correctly, the author was having health issues and the series went on hiatus for some time. The series isn't that long for a 12 year run, yet the ending was rushed, with various issues attached to that. Characters getting dumber, plotlines dropped, powers being used less creatively or just flat out dumbly for no explained reason (giant Evermillion with giant flails).

I think you have the right of it. This is probably just a passion project for the author to tie up some of the stuff she didn't get to originally.
Yeah I agree with your point regarding the dropping quality. I vaguely remember that the author had health issues but I had forgotten that it had a hiatus. Doing some napkin math you're also right about the number of chapters based on it's run. The feeling I remember from reading those chapters was that the author just wanted to finish the series. It did feel rushed but at the same time it's not like that story was ever going to end in a different way. If anything I felt like the backstory between the MCs was long overdue, it was something that kept being eluded to but never resolved right until the very end of the series.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top