Witch Hat Atelier - Vol. 3 Ch. 17

VIP
well, even i don't really adore this, it's good that it continue.

Double-page supporter
So this invisible witch is going to kidnap her or he will try to convert her to the "dark side"???

Double-page supporter
@Send_in_the_Killer_Clowns
I would actually agree that one must be a Necromancer and Immortal to be a Lich, but I use Phylacteries as the prime requirement because I see that as combining those requirements, and also providing a way of making them distinct from the other methods of achieving Immortality you mention. For instance, a Necromancer who achieves Immortality by willingly infecting themselves with Vampirism would become a Vampire, not a Lich, despite in both cases they use Necromancy to achieve Immortality.

In my experience, Creating a Phylactery is usually considered a part of Necromancy, both because it deals with Souls and Death Magic, and often requires the sacrifice of a Life, such as in Oldy Voldy's case. Though I could easily see a Magic System where that isn't the case, where working with Souls, even removing them to create a Phylactery, does not in any way involve what we generally consider Necromancy, or any magic that directly relates to Death. That could be an interesting system, because I would wonder if Magic that manipulates the Soul would still have the negative associate that Necromancy usually has.

Now the potential Spanner in my definition I've just thought of are Golems, which usually in modern Fantasy are created by removing the Soul of a Living Thing and putting them into a Construct. Would the count as a Lich? I think it wouldn't because the Seat of the Soul is not Separate from the Entity the Soul is Controlling, which I suppose I would consider to be Part of the Definition of a Phylactery. Alternatively, Golems usually just use the Soul as a Power Source, and don't allow it to assert its will, so that's another potential distinction.

Interesting Thoughts. Ultimately I could see Liches having other restrictions for different systems, and I won't try to impose the Phylactery Requirement on a setting that wanted to do something different.

Power Uploader
@JCVocke
Yep, yep. What you've said is right. The creation of a phylactery should be considered necromancy, too. Essentially, they'd just skip the title of Necromancer straight to Lich this way. Interesting..... And thank you for discussing it in detail. I really love magic, and only wish that there were more mangas like this one which do a great job with the epic fantasy world building. Cheers.

Dex-chan lover
The art is really something else. Not only great backgrounds and designs but also beautiful movement and characters. Also, Coco is just the cutest thing.

Supporter
Memory erasure magic (considering the control they have), could just as easily be used as memory alteration magic. That would likely ultimately result in body swapping immortality. In more benign applications, PTSD treatment and skill transfer, yet the so called "good" witches practice none but destruction.

Supporter
Regarding what was taken from Quiffrey, that probably has to do with his right eye.

Aggregator gang
The original lich from Slavic folklore wasn't a skeleton and just had an emaciated appearance. The phylactery is the important part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei

Dex-chan lover
@miyako19 The currently ruling witches hunted down and erased the memories of (or killed) all the witches whose profession was something as terrible and nefarious as healing wounds and diseases. That's like your government deciding all physicians and nurses are criminals henceforth. Yet funnily enough erasing memories is perfectly okay. Saving a sick or injured person's life is illegal, but erasing someone's whole life is fine. Jolly good fellows. They are as evil as the other strong factions waging war back in the history of that world, but unlike the others, they won the war. We can only imagine by what monstrous means. After winning the war, they did whatever they wanted, vilifying the losers being the foremost thing, like always happens in human wars. There are no good witch factions in this story, mark my words. There of course could be good individuals in any faction.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the real leaders of the current official witch world were using forbidden magic on themselves to live longer and healthier, while regular witches out there are killed by any mundane disease or accident.

This... Is this a romance flag?! CAN I SHIP COCO AND TARTAR?!

*cough*

Tbh, Qifrey, you sneaky dude. Acting all goofy and cute while hiding what you did...

Anyway, my fangirling aside
Thank you #dropout, I thank you from the bottom of my heart

Edit: Coco... I thought you remembered the picture book by heart

Dex-chan lover
soo what was the whole purpose of the endless ink ...

Users who are viewing this thread