Working out the correct double page orientation

Hi.

I love the double page feature in the reader. However, there is one feature that I feel it's missing to make it virtually perfect, and that is a way to know the correct orientation of pages.

Right now the reader just takes the first two pages and sets those as the right and left page respectively, and then keeps pulling pages in pairs and replacing them the same way. The problem with this is often times those pages are actually on the wrong side, and there's disadvantages to reading double pages in this odd fashion. Lots of page layouts are designed with the double page layout in mind, and authors will do cliff hangers before a page turn or otherwise use it as another tool of the medium for storytelling effect. In addition, the existence of the spine makes it so most authors lay out the page such that the panels are facing away from the center. For these reasons I think it would be ideal to have a feature to recreate this correctly.

Now, my proposal. Since chapters are often scanlated individually, and credits pages are introduced that mess with the amount of pages in a volume, you don't have a perfect easy solution for this. But there's a couple things you could do:
1) Look ahead and try to find a double page spread, and if you find one, then you know the orientation that the previous pages should be in, and then you know if the first page displayed should be a single or a double page. This should be the most painless solution, but I don't know the details of the reader and whether the implementation would be a problem.
2) Crowdsource page orientation. Have a button that lets users say that this is a left or a right page, and have it saved along with chapter information, and then you know how to display it correctly.

And those are my ideas. I hope you consider this feature. Thank you.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@kurobuns We're basically eventually going to copy guya.moe's solution, which is to pick odd/even page offset. For 1), this is currently unreasonable because it would require loading every page until hitting a wide page before rendering the first one, but even if we did it (which we're kind of going to work on by marking wide pages in the filenames), credit pages would throw off an automatic solution like this. For 2), I am actually considering this, but it might not really be necessary. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread