Wortenia Senki - Vol. 7 Ch. 31

My condolances to the pr...

Abdul trading company...

Or Bob trading company. That's what it feels like. Just why.

Dex-chan lover
Doesn't want to be racist. Insults the fuck out of the guys name and his company. Becomes unintentionally racist. Shit whats next, gonna have a beef with a guy named Aziz who starts a company called Aziz's Lights?
a2e60f4dbaa65856a2126ac6aafcaa33.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Dudes white, has Abdul as his name, dont see whats the problem?

I mean are you all implying pple named Abdul tend to run slaver companies?

Dex-chan lover
Uh if you have to know why author used Abdul as the slavers boss, Abdul means servant in Arabic so that is why most muslim used Abdullah (Servant of Allah) in their name.
So a person named servant as a slavers trading company boss, yeah...

@MesaOracle Also I'm pretty sure someone is being that when they specifically said they didn't intent to most of the time lol😅

Dex-chan lover
@Kyujyu I am fairly sure you are right 🤣. Also, interesting note about the meaning of the name although I highly doubt the author even knew that let alone intended it though it would also be interesting if he did.

Dex-chan lover
@MesaOracle Most manga I've read have similar naming convention, using name with meaning to fit their character so I wouldn't brush off the possibilities authors used google translate to name their characters, especially foreigners 😆
And also seeing how much they like using literal translation for beast girls/pets names.

Many people are named Abdul, and I'm not sure but they may be angry with ranting like that.

abdul actually means servant or slave in arabic so it's fitting for his company i guess?

the difference in tone with the LN is pretty visible in this chapter. LN has a more serious and less comedic tone

Dex-chan lover
Lmao what a joke! If his name was Richard or Sebastian, no one would even notice let alone be triggered :smug:

Fed-Kun's army
Yes, using Abdul is a stereotype. No, it's not politically correct. It's also unfortunately not historically inaccurate.

If you were anywhere near the Mediterranean in medieval times and walked into a slaver's business, there's a fair chance there was an Abdul or culturally similarly named person there. If you went far enough north, that name was probably more likely to be a Ragnar, or something similar. Slavery existed in many medieval cultures. Particularly the more cosmopolitan ones. When you don't have technology, all the hard labor has to be done by animals or people. Whether or not said people want to do it didn't always figure into the discussion. That's why it shows up so often in fantasy and isekai anime. It's a simple way to show a massive cultural difference, not to mention an easy path to any number of plot points.

The Japanese tend to be less sensitive about that kind of thing than people in the West, unless of course it's about some of the darker times in Japanese history...

Users who are viewing this thread