would anyone read a manga that has shbitty art?

If you're asking for a 10/10 manga with shitty ass art the first one that comes to mind is 'One Outs' , it has phenomenal plot, god tier characters, the MC is really good and it has some of the best twists and a very satisfying ending. The art however is dog shit, it's like someone drew it as a rough draft and posted it, still I'd highly recommend it.

Another 10/10 is 'Onani Master Kurosawa' (Masturbator Master Kurosawa - wierd name I know) but yeah this one isn't for everyone because it gets super edgy at times but if you really want to read a one of a kind manga then this is the one. The art is pretty shit but that's to be expected since it was one of the artist's first works, now he's a lot better.

As long as your story is engaging and gets the reader invested I don't think the art really matters, of course for it to be a popular work the art has to be decent but as far as fans are considered, if your work connects with people then no matter how few, someone will be thankful that you decided to create this work.
Of course not everyone shares the same sentiments as I do seeing as some people refuse to read Jojo's because of it's supposed 'hideous art' even though it is arguably one of the greatest manga of all time, not just because of it's plot but because of the impact it has on the modern anime and manga culture, I think that in itself warrants it a read.
That is a leauge above bad art. If you think thats bad then you havent read squat. But I do agree that Yokota Takuma's earlier works looked like they were drawn on a napkin, Boon ga Ijime ni Atteita You Desu and molester man is the best examples of this. It is nice to see how good they have become with their recent releases, they draw like an actual mangaka now.

Dex-chan lover
Fukumoto Nobuyuki (Kaiji, Akagi, Strongest Master Kurosawa, etc author) career literally carried by his writing, his art isn't really changing much or rather his 'unique' art is still present even after 40+ years.

Dex-chan lover
I myself never judge a series by it's art same for games. The only time art direction has an issue for me is if you can't make out whats happening (Insert here a million isekai series and their "combat" scenes). Also some series like mentioned above have gained fame while having bad/amatuer art.

Dex-chan lover
Depends how shitty. I have seen some truly god awful webcomics, usually accompanied with scanlations that make MS Paint scanlations look like masterpieces.

Dex-chan lover
As said above, it depends on how bad, and also the tone of the work you're making; a serious drama will really fall flat with comically bad drawings, while a comedy might benefit from them.

What will really hamper your comic, with regards to art skills, is how well the comic "flows" from panel to panel. Nothing worse than reading a comic and stopping because you're unsure who is talking, or which panel you should be reading, or if the panels non-sequential because of unexpected extreme changes. The way you "direct" the comic is just as important as the writing, in my opinion at least.

Contributor
Composition is more important than good art. A lot of manhwas have awful composition and I just can't read them.

Mostly yes, but it also depends on what the Manga is about. I used to read very amateurish webtoons back in the day and it was fine for simple stories n such. I'm not sure if I would like to read a fantasy Manga where the setting is ever-changing and needs lots of detail for it to work. I think that'd be a bit off-putting if the artist isn't used to drawing environments and dynamic scenes. Wouldn't drop a series if I like the story though, even if it's just scribbles. But the more important factor IMO is having a good enough cover art. That's what one sees first and if that is good enough to make someone want to give it a try, - you won.

Double-page supporter
im thinking of making a manga, for fun. however, im still atleast trynna get one person to read some of it lmao. my art is not the best, so i wonder, would anyone read a manga that is poorly drawn?
I'd probably read it. To me it'd be the context itself, and while I appreciate the art of Jojo and HNK, SNK and the like, and One Piece, I often look at the creators' earlier works and I enjoy watching that evolution. From perhaps less defined characters to almost realistic ones! Take a glance at the incredibly Bizarre works Araki made afore Jojo, and now look at Jojolands!
I worked on a small comic for a long time, about earth after an invasion, I liked it, but I dropped it cuz I felt I needed to dedicate myself to writing. Therefore I'd read anything which sees the formation of one's creative processes! Though, emphasis on whether the Plot Grips me or not!
And Some may say writing a Novel is Easier, but take it from a 10-year drafter, writing is no way easier. What's worse is when you had these images you'd thought You'd draw someday, and then your sitting, writing one day and thinking "Will the audience see him/her as I do?"
Don't Give up! Art, Writing, it's a pursuit most emotional and powerful!

Dex-chan lover
Bad art can be alleviated with a good plot, pacing, and characters. An example that comes to mind is the original Onepunch Man webcomic. The art was quite bad, horrendous at times, but the plot was still enjoyable. And it sometimes used its ‘bad art’ for the sake of characterizing some of the main cast (e.g. chibi tatsumaki). You do you. With practice and time, you’ll get better and develop your own style 👍

I would not. I dropped a manga that had the same face for all the characters

I feel as If Amazing art IS what draws me to read the manga.
You can't blame some mangas' stories for not drawing in readers. Things ARE judged based on their looks first, after all.
Without the Art quality, I don't think many mangas would get the attention, regardless if their story is 'good' or not.

TL;DR: Most People Won't read bad-art mangas in the first place, much less drop it after.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
  1. Start shitty, but improve
    1. Start shitty but improve while drawing the manga (Elfen Lied is the only thing I can recall)
    2. Get up to a decent art skill and/or attend art/manga school, then start drawing manga
  2. If you just want to concentrate on writing, find an artist
  3. Start shitty and stay shitty like ONE and his One Punch Man. I consider this an exception since this only works if you're a great writer. But even ONE's art has improved a bit and he also has Murata drawing the manga version, so... he's actually all three.

@asianskill
NO. At least I wouldn't! And I'm someone who has SWORN off Jojo's Bizarre Adventure ALL because the art is super shitty.
But depends if you're gonna draw a webtoon. then you can try it out. But I recommend you at least have an AVERAGE level of drawing.
out of curiosity which parts of jojo? araki's style has changed a lot over the years

Dex-chan lover
Hmm, it depends really.
Usually, one can judge the quality of a series by the quality of the artstyle, despite there being obvious exceptions (Though they usually also get noticed, due to a good writer knowing they need to make up for that art and putting the hooking earlier)
Also, Art isn't just good and bad, but also has the ranges of "Looks great on first glance, but is honestly pretty shitty"(Mostly observed in Wuxia Manga) "Looks alright, but is pretty generic"(See most Isekai)
Also there are some high effort art Manga that do not deliver on Quality, like many "Mature" stories, where the writer just believes their writing to be the best thing ever(It rarely is) and Manwha, which have some greats, but also a lot of meh stuff.

Dex-chan lover
So-called "shitty art" poses a hurdle to adoption but I find I stop noticing it entirely unless it's a fundamental part of the visual storytelling, in which case I would call it "distinctive." A distinctive art style can change how the work is digested and interpreted (see e.g., The Medium Is the Massage), so for me, art that does not conform to expectations is just another tool in the artist's bucket. Pure style unsupported by quality writing can be fine if done well (like all Michael Bay movies, for example) and likewise excellent writing unsupported by quality art is more likely than not going to be memorable.

How to differentiate between shitty vs distinctive art? Gut level, eye of the beholder kind of stuff I guess. I would define distinctive art as something with a recognizable and consistent (reproducible?) deviation from norms, but...that's just the uneducated, armchair art historian in me reaching for leverage. Rather, let's illustrate it with a picture worth a thousand words:
(cue the Mr. Burns meme)
mr-burns-art-critic.gif

Three cases-in-point:
1) I love love (LOVE) Sahara Mizu's work, but the weird triangular hobbit-thingies ears of her characters used to drive me up the wall. These days it's just part of her artwork's distinctive charm.
2) Afterschool War Activities launched with noticeably primitive artwork that grew in detail and quality over time, and the storytelling framework (that of a post-facto documentary_ was compelling/inspired enough to get me through that initial hump. I don't read too much manhua which is why this sticks in my head as my gold standard for evaluating lower-tier artwork at launch.
3) MangaPlus's recent addition At Summer's End would ordinarily fall well below my engagement standards. In this case, however, the sparse lines and odd proportions add a layer of melancholy that wouldn't come out if this was drawn in a more consumerist style.

Users who are viewing this thread