Yancha Gal no Anjou-san - Ch. 155 - Seto-kun Doesn't Understand Illicit Relationships

Dex-chan lover
Was I the only one who was confused about this talk? You have to be ready to take responsibility for the consequences of your actions, whatever that entails. I get that. But it feels like they were both hemming and hawing and dancing arround the bush. I don't feel like Seto actually learned anything here.

Dex-chan lover
Oh boy, this guy is definition of "no fun". I'm not even talking about sex or intimate realtionships, but about being at least a bit of interesting person with at least a tiniest sense of humor! Have Seto even joked once? Or did he even smiled ONCE in this series? The girl like Anjou with her bubbly and fun personality would died out of the boredom and tediousness near such guy. The only things he's doing in this manga are whining, denying Anjous advances and talking about studying.
No matter how big is her love, it wouldn't have lasted longer than few months of this borefest and abstinence, especially considering their age.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
She admitted she really didn't get it either (and looking at her personal life, she's not lying). It'd be super hypocritical to pretend to have some great insight to pass along.
This is definitely the reason a majority of people grow up thinking adults know everything/are clearly confident, and in turn feel helpless when they run into the same issues. You either lie or pretend to know what you’re doing and kids can be none the wiser.

Even in fiction having that little bit of honesty about not knowing is a nice touch.

Dex-chan lover
I always understood "take responsiblity" as in, you now have to care for me. The ups and downs, be there for me as we are now a couple I share responsiblity of my feelings and emotional state with you.

Dex-chan lover
Conclusion? No going on dates, awkward kisses, budding passion... you know... the Romance part...

Why does it have to end when the "Romance" begins? Why do we have to just watch two friends awkwardly flirting, usually unsuccessfully, for 100's of issues and finally get a Kiss in the final scene like it's the end of the world when it's just the starting embers of a relationship.
That's one of the trends of this era. "Coupling" earlier, and the relationship being the focus. I think in a lot of cases, it's easier to write natural tension when an "easy" conflict is unresolved (will they or won't they). If everything stems from that sole issue, you have an available starting point for a multitude of subplots and arcs. If they're in a relationship, that "easy" starting point is gone, and you have to write quite differently. Creating tension in a happy couple is harder to do without it feeling "forced" or "artificial". Neither way is bad, but prolific readers seem to be burning out on endless waits. A lot of the top performers, that aren't brand new, include the continuation past a confession, and do it well.

I think there's also something to be said for the difference between reading 50 chapters for a relationship to bloom, and that particular tension being dragged on for 300. That kind of longevity is HARD to do successfully. I think of Komi, which had SO much else going on, and KanOka, which (in my, and many vocal others opinions) has become a bland interminable cycle; very different works, with very different "feels".

Well this ended up being longer than I intended.

Dex-chan lover
Oh boy, this guy is definition of "no fun". I'm not even talking about sex or intimate realtionships, but about being at least a bit of interesting person with at least a tiniest sense of humor! Have Seto even joked once? Or did he even smiled ONCE in this series? The girl like Anjou with her bubbly and fun personality would died out of the boredom and tediousness near such guy. The only things he's doing in this manga are whining, denying Anjous advances and talking about studying.
No matter how big is her love, it wouldn't have lasted longer than few months of this borefest and abstinence, especially considering their age.
She likes his reactions to her. She likes his serious nature. She likes that he loves her, will defend her, and that he thinks of her feelings. She seems to be having a blast with him whenever they are together.

Dex-chan lover
That's one of the trends of this era. "Coupling" earlier, and the relationship being the focus. I think in a lot of cases, it's easier to write natural tension when an "easy" conflict is unresolved (will they or won't they). If everything stems from that sole issue, you have an available starting point for a multitude of subplots and arcs. If they're in a relationship, that "easy" starting point is gone, and you have to write quite differently. Creating tension in a happy couple is harder to do without it feeling "forced" or "artificial". Neither way is bad, but prolific readers seem to be burning out on endless waits. A lot of the top performers, that aren't brand new, include the continuation past a confession, and do it well.

I think there's also something to be said for the difference between reading 50 chapters for a relationship to bloom, and that particular tension being dragged on for 300. That kind of longevity is HARD to do successfully. I think of Komi, which had SO much else going on, and KanOka, which (in my, and many vocal others opinions) has become a bland interminable cycle; very different works, with very different "feels".

Well this ended up being longer than I intended.
Funny, Komi san is the example I use for the worst kind of "progress" ever done in any manga.

We had 150 issues of a sweet budding romance between the MC... and Magabi. Komi was just a friend but at the LAST FUCKING MOMENT after they agreed to go out, AFTER. Magabi won, the issue ended and I had 2 weeks of thinking it was an amazing but understandable turn for the series.

But then the next week... Nahhhhh they wiped EVERYTHING. "You don't love me, you really love Komi" and they stopped going out in SECONDS. Ahhhhhhhhhh I fucking despise that fucking series.

It's the worst example of fleshing out side characters then cutting them out of the romance so the real "Best girl" can win even if the story doesn't make ANY FUCKING SENSE AHHH FUCK KOMI ITS A FUCKING STUPID MANGA. I get so angry when I think about it, fucking hell

Dex-chan lover
She likes his reactions to her. She likes his serious nature. She likes that he loves her, will defend her, and that he thinks of her feelings. She seems to be having a blast with him whenever they are together.
Of course she is. Cause it's just another wish fulfillment fantasy. Just like top beauty of a school fell for some shy mediocre nobody, or bunch of super cute girls flocked around random bland and boring guy for no reasons. No matter how insufferable MC is his designated girl will love him no matter what. Just Imagine how long such relationships could have lasted IRL. Yeah it's pretty silly to expect something realistic from shounen romcom, but at some point it becomes so stretched that it's hard to tolerate. I'd drop it if not awesome art and secondary characters who are kinda fun unlike Seto.

Dex-chan lover
We had 150 issues of a sweet budding romance between the MC... and Magabi. Komi was just a friend but at the LAST FUCKING MOMENT after they agreed to go out, AFTER. Magabi won, the issue ended and I had 2 weeks of thinking it was an amazing but understandable turn for the series.
You just reminded me of how schizophrenic and delusional anime and manga fans are.

At some points it feels like no one is ever reading the same thing and come to wildly different conclusions. Or as my general take is, pure contrarianism and attaching yourself to the obvious waifu bait.

Edit: I am an idiot and forgot to say in no way am I insulting you, it’s just always confusing to read stuff like that.

Dex-chan lover
You just reminded me of how schizophrenic and delusional anime and manga fans are.

At some points it feels like no one is ever reading the same thing and come to wildly different conclusions. Or as my general take is, pure contrarianism and attaching yourself to the obvious waifu bait.

Edit: I am an idiot and forgot to say in no way am I insulting you, it’s just always confusing to read stuff like that.
I'm going to argue because of the structure of Komi san, and remember, before issue 200 or so Komi never got perspective chapters or thought bubbles. It was all through MC's eyes for a long time so any "Progress" was literally just her blushing and the occasional word on her notepad, but outside of the original "Pilot" chapter which isn't canon there was zero hint of romance between them.

Magabi, having the ability to speak and use words formed a real actual relationship with the MC, they had arcs, emotions, back and forth, she got 99% of the actual romance development up until that point. having a character who literally can't speak or show emotions meant ZERO emotional development. Once Komi started getting perspective chapters and thought bubbles all of a sudden she becomes a real character but for 150 issues she was a doll, a prize, and no amount of random chibi cat ears and cute blushy faces was going to make me emotionally attached to a doll.

And don't get me started on how cruel it was to end the issue with the MC and Magabi going out, only to take it away at the start of the next issues weeks later. That's something only people who read it on release can understand. If you are reading it all in one batch, sure it goes down smooth, you can quickly move on to the Komi MC relationship and be happy but those reading it live, having a week of "Wow I can't belive she won!" only to have that ripped from your grasp was something i won't ever forgive.

Supporter
Of course she is. Cause it's just another wish fulfillment fantasy. Just like top beauty of a school fell for some shy mediocre nobody, or bunch of super cute girls flocked around random bland and boring guy for no reasons. No matter how insufferable MC is his designated girl will love him no matter what. Just Imagine how long such relationships could have lasted IRL. Yeah it's pretty silly to expect something realistic from shounen romcom, but at some point it becomes so stretched that it's hard to tolerate. I'd drop it if not awesome art and secondary characters who are kinda fun unlike Seto.
There are certainly plenty of mid titles that lazy, but this ain't that. It's never been "cute gyaru is kind to otaku" kinda crap. We saw how this developed from a playful goof on her part to actual appreciation of his good points to her wanting to tease out more of them. We saw how horribly she was treated by normies. We saw how she began to crave something mature and comfortable. This is how actual people grow.

Dex-chan lover
I'm so fucking bored with all this meandering, that's the simple issue. I am bored and nothing this series is doing is keeping me engaged. Having this "responsibility" talk before the dude has even reached first fucking base is just so dumb I can't even fathom.

They want to show he's thinking deeply about the relationship but they aren't even IN a real relationship, nothing has changed, Anjou does something lewd, he freaks out and nothing happens... He's acting like she's going to get pregnant if they progress the relationship any further when the dude can't even maintain eye contact without having an anxiety attack. It's just... annoying. This series was going places but once they finally got into a relationship everything halted.
First off... You should probably re-read 151... Not terribly sure what your standard for "bases" is... But well...

You seem very angry. That's unfortunate, but it merely sounds like the characters aren't for you. They aren't going to magically become different, confident people in an instant. That growth is a large part of the whole theme. The dichotomy between Anjou and Seto is one of, if not THE, focal points of their relationship. They're far less similar than Toyo and Inu.

I'll acknowledge that it's "slow" compared to some romance manga, but not exceptionally so (sounds like you haven't suffered through KanOka). It's all rather whatever in the end, but I thought I'd encourage you to examine it for more than a "wham, bam, thank ya ma'am", which it certainly is not.

Dex-chan lover
Funny, Komi san is the example I use for the worst kind of "progress" ever done in any manga.

But then the next week... Nahhhhh they wiped EVERYTHING. "You don't love me, you really love Komi" and they stopped going out in SECONDS. Ahhhhhhhhhh I fucking despise that fucking series.

It's the worst example of fleshing out side characters then cutting them out of the romance so the real "Best girl" can win even if the story doesn't make ANY FUCKING SENSE AHHH FUCK KOMI ITS A FUCKING STUPID MANGA. I get so angry when I think about it, fucking hell
I'm honestly not sure what to make of you at this point... It sincerely feels like subtlety and the concept of subplots versus an overarching theme escapes you. Out of my own morbid curiosity, what do you consider a "good" manga?

Dex-chan lover
There are certainly plenty of mid titles that lazy, but this ain't that. It's never been "cute gyaru is kind to otaku" kinda crap. We saw how this developed from a playful goof on her part to actual appreciation of his good points to her wanting to tease out more of them. We saw how horribly she was treated by normies. We saw how she began to crave something mature and comfortable. This is how actual people grow.
Nah, it is exactly "cute gyaru is kind to otaku". But i'm not talking about this, I say that he is unbelievably boring as human being. Open any chapter and read his bubbles, there are like 3 types of thoughts he has in total.
I can't even imagine what are they even talking about when they spend like 3-4 hours together? Can you imagine him talking about music, movies, fiction books, games, cartoons, i don't know, animals, fashion etc? The only thing he can speak about is probably school and studying. I mean, this guy has never smiled! Not a single time! Let alone said or even though something funny. On their dates he most likely just walks silent with worried look and ensures that Anjou won't come too close to him, then proceed with usual "No! No! We shouldn't do this!" And just because super genki Anjou depicted attracted to him and still didn't get bored to death doesn't make it even remotely believable.

But I guess people will justify this no matter what. I mean, there are still lot of guys who defend kanokari, so... I'm out.

Users who are viewing this thread