Yeon Lok Heun - Vol. 1 Ch. 25 - Despicable

Fed-Kun's army
Is she gonna have to carry the trap / merman in her arms as she fights?

Double-page supporter
I'm getting really confused because the pronouns Lok Heun is going all over the place. There are times she refers to the wife as 'she', then next panel she refers to the wife as 'him' (even before the 'his wife is a man???' reveal). Unless I'm missing something or having a stroke probably.

I figured the wife was a man, when they showed their first meeting. But the pronouns being all over the place was confusing.

@KenOne yeah the man's lover since back then it was not acceptable to have a husband when you are a man. I mean we need to go according to how society works. His lover is male but supernatural so wouldn't out of the possibility of those two to have a child. I am sure the MC uses wife cuz there is not a better way to say it since husband is something only a woman would use.

@Darkwolfix I assume it's similar to how the Chinese do it, since China and Korea come from very similar origins. I'll be writing this comment based on Chinese customs (since I'm Chinese). Technically speaking, wife and husband are both "gender-neutral" terms, in a way. Of course, in English, that isn't the case, but in Chinese (and i assume Korean as well), "wife" and "husband" are the closest translations to the terms being used. The term that is translated to "wife" is used to address the person who marries into someone's household, whereas "husband" is used to address the person who's accepting someone into their household. Generally speaking, the female is the wife because the female is the one to marry into someone's household. It was not unheard of for there to be male x male relationships, but even then, they were uncommon and one would still be the "wife" and the other would be the "husband".

Dex-chan lover
"It's confusing how she calls him a wife", "why does she use different pronouns", ...

She doesn't.

The translator does. It's not gendered in the og korean as it is in english.

Users who are viewing this thread