Yofukashi no Uta - Ch. 172 - What time?

Dex-chan lover
Phew, at least I am not the only one who pointed the confusion about Kiku's death.

I think the fact that we dont know if she did fall in love and became human works in an isolated story, but at the same time it is the most important question in the manga, so it just makes it annoying. Tho I guess it is still kinda pointless since Nazuna isn't a traditional vampire.

Dex-chan lover
Phew, at least I am not the only one who pointed the confusion about Kiku's death.

I think the fact that we dont know if she did fall in love and became human works in an isolated story, but at the same time it is the most important question in the manga, so it just makes it annoying. Tho I guess it is still kinda pointless since Nazuna isn't a traditional vampire.
My understanding is that she did fall in love (we can see a "ba-dump" signaling her heart literally starting to beat again at one point) but I also just think it's kind of hard to believe she's thousands of years old and has been courted by countless people but the depressed 14 year old boy was the one who knocked her socks off. Huh????????? Kiku genuinely also being in love with Mahiru is the biggest plot twist in this whole story.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
half vamp and an irregularity, huh. interesting what could be the outcome of it.

and many said kiku died in the sun but what i always believed that she turned to human and all those years being a vampire suddenly hit her body and died(but that doesnt answer why she turned to ash too(from what i remember at least)).

The brave ending of this manga is if he leaf behind that whish of become vampire, time skip, passing his life, wife, children etc and nanakuza seeing all that in the shadows, end of his life and nanakusa flies away....

Dex-chan lover
Kou is half vamp and Nazu is born one so there are some wacky things we don't know about
Nazuna wasn't just born a vampire, she was born to a vampire-human couple. Everyone's forgetting that her father was still human, so she isn't necessarily actually a vampire at all. There's a separate term for people born to that kind of couple: dhampir.

My understanding is that she did fall in love (we can see a "ba-dump" signaling her heart literally starting to beat again at one point) but I also just think it's kind of hard to believe she's thousands of years old and has been courted by countless people but the depressed 14 year old boy was the one who knocked her socks off. Huh????????? Kiku genuinely also being in love with Mahiru is the biggest plot twist in this whole story.
There's a pair of details about Kiku's death that throws the cause into doubt: she turned Mahiru right before dawn, and they died simultaneously. If he had lived on even just long enough for us to see Kiku turning to dust in his arms, that would confirm that falling in love is deadly for vampires, but they both turned to ash at the same time. So the jury is still out on whether Kiku died because she fell in love or if it was just because the idiot vampire couple decided to sit in the sun.

Dex-chan lover
I thought hoshimi kiku died because it didn’t work and she turned mahiru into a vampire and the sun rose… so they were both vampires in the end and the sun killed them. I guess I was wrong.

Dex-chan lover
Boy's definitely not feelin' all that well in the head, trying to sort things out however he can.

Considering his idea of solving utter boredom of life he developed as a middle schooler was "I'll become a vampire," I'm not entirely sure he should really be left to work things out on his own.
This story has an ongoing theme of people being left alone to their own devices when they probably shouldn't.

As far as the read of suicide by sun goes: I mean I guess we'll see sooner or later. It'd be weird to put off that plot point after bringing it up again. Could've sworn we've seen a few vampires in the sunlight before, though.

Dex-chan lover
This story has an ongoing theme of people being left alone to their own devices when they probably shouldn't.

As far as the read of suicide by sun goes: I mean I guess we'll see sooner or later. It'd be weird to put off that plot point after bringing it up again. Could've sworn we've seen a few vampires in the sunlight before, though.
wasnt the fuck boy that asked nazuna for date was in the sunlight the first time he was introduced? trying to pick up Kou's classmate?

Ay didn't Kiku died because of the sun. Cuz if it happened because she turned back into human, then why did Mahiru became vampire and died.
This makes no sense. They're worrying for nothing.
Kiku died because she sucked Mahiru's blood after falling in love with him, turning her human and rapidly aging her, Mahiru died because he became a vampire and stayed out in the sun

Dex-chan lover
Idk why so many comments are saying Kou is doing badly dealing with his grief. Him going to school is weird but it's not like he will melt for doing it or something. For what is worth a stable routine for a time might help

Dex-chan lover
6pLQcez.png

This kinda feels like some important information

Dex-chan lover
Kou seems to be losing interest in the whole vampire world, and trying to resume his normal life, which makes me hate him so fucking much with nazuna putting her life on the line just for him to lose interest like the kid he is. This wishy washy attitude of his won't do. First it was being emotionally stunted, then traumatized by his friend dying, now just losing interest in the whole thing. I don't think it's just because of Mahiro's death, he just seems absolutely lukewarm about the whole situation and has been for a while. I really hope the vampires hold their promise of killing him once the year is up. It feels like they are cool with him now and that is has robbed the situation of any urgency.

Dex-chan lover
6pLQcez.png

I think it was a huge mistake to slide that in. Because with Nazuna being just 40 it wouldn't be fatal, just super lame. So the options are 1- she dies 2- nothing happens 3- she turns human and grows 40 years. So 2/3 options aren't fatal. I think this whole "dilemma", added to the fact that I doubt they are holding the promise of killing Kou if he doesn't convert within a year (not to mention he and nazuna are the two most powerful vampires), have turned this whole arc into a no urgency nothing burger if you really think about it.

Dex-chan lover
Like Kiku was out in the daylight when she led Kou to his mom
She took out a parasol when the sun came out (chapter 129, p. 17-18).

and I mean, sure, maybe we can start playing "there's a certain AMOUNT of sunlight that is required to be harmful" but then that would just kind of suck.
We don't have a choice-- Kiku talks about how Mahiru should stay in the shade as much as possible and how it won't have an immediate effect but he should still keep in the shade (chapter 163, p. 13).

In truth, no vampire has outright said "the sun will kill us", but they never act like the sun will merely give them nasty sunburn. Haru and Kiku agree that "it really sucks" (chapter 146, p. 7) in a conversation involving examining vampire legends... to find a potential way to go back to being human.

Kotoyama's so evasive about this that I can only imagine there's some yet-to-be-seen narrative purpose for it. Or maybe it's a "no shit" kind of deal, given that vampires also can't see their reflections in mirrors in this narrative (a "conventional" vampire trait).

Edit: It's also worth noting Miss Detective attacked Akkun at night with the intent to kill him
She didn't-- the first time she attacked Akkun (chapter 55, p. 5-12), she wanted to interrogate him after incapacitating him. She also attacked with Hatsuka right there, knowing full well that he was also a vampire. The second time she fought with him (chapter 86, p. 7-10) was actually her getting him off her tail, since he wanted to wreck her for (non-fatally) shooting Seri in front of him.

In the first place, Kyouko's vampire hunting was significantly suicidally motivated-- at the least, she was reckless, but she actually tried to blow her brains out after her plan was foiled and she lost interest in her goal. But she definitely intended to be a martyr whose death would reveal the existence of vampires and accordingly keep humans off the streets at night (chapter 90, p. 12-16).

wasnt the fuck boy that asked nazuna for date was in the sunlight the first time he was introduced? trying to pick up Kou's classmate?
Haruka only showed up when it started getting dark (chapter 139, p. 12-13).

6pLQcez.png

Or Hatsuka could be talking out of his ass trying to make sense of what was reported to him, given that before Hokkaido, Susuki was (between the instinctual aversion of a vampire to sucking the blood of someone they've fallen in love with and what's likely an vampire urban legend constructed around that) of the understanding that the candidate would die, with no reference to the vampire becoming human (chapter 122, p. 6).

Kou seems to be losing interest in the whole vampire world
Even if I looked at him as cynically as possible, I don't think a fourteen year old boy would lose interest in being able to be intangible, fly, and have super strength.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's not just Kou who's listless and doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up. Nazuna is the same. It's the entire foundation of their relationship. Being a vampire or becoming a vampire is secondary to who either of them are.

All of the drama and threat from the ambiguous vampire plot devices is just to add superficial weight to their decision about each other and their futures. It's still mainly just a story about two loners going at their own pace with life's troubles.

Double-page supporter
I'm still left confused about the Kiku thing. She always came across to me as the manipulative psycho gf with 50 exes (a few even becoming killers because of her irresponsibility), and you tell your homeboy is bad news, but homeboy thinks he can fix her and they be in a toxic relationship for the next few months or years.
Thought she was a good villain for the story, but everything after Mahiru left to be with Kiku, or at least since the Okinawa chapters, the manga just became dull somehow and felt like it was trying to nullify Kiku's role as an antagonist. I also can't buy that Kiku was truly in love with Mahiru and died like that since she likely cared more about the idea of being human again than anything else.
Another thing I want to mention is that I thought it was already established by Nazuna early on that the sun can't kill vampires in this world, so does that mean Nazuna was wrong and just based that fact off of her own experience (which wouldn't make sense since Honda or the other vampires would have mentioned that the sun was lethal or not at some point), or are Mahiru and/or Kiku alive and running about in Okinawa?
(It's probably been a year or two since I started the manga, so forgive me if my memory is spotty or I am wrong)

Double-page supporter
i getting the feeling this will have a really boring coming of age ending, i mean it is a coming of age story, they have mostly boring unsatisfying endings. but somehow this will be even more boring and asinine.

Users who are viewing this thread