You and I are Polar Opposites - Ch. 58 - Looking Beyond

That's a lot of introspection from literal highschoolers.
Idk, Taira reminds me way too much of me at 17 in highschool, it's almost eerie. To me this feels pretty age appropriate. Azuma type girl was into me when I thought I'd never have a chance in a million years. She spontaneously made her move on a outing with friends just like the one Azuma invited Taira to and the rest is history. If this ends up happening, their relationship and development mirrors mine so much, its almost unreal.

Thought a lot about my own lack of feelings and narcissism at the time. I was later diagnosed with Aspergers so that cleared a lot of things up.

Dex-chan lover
Idk, Taira reminds me way too much of me at 17 in highschool, it's almost eerie. To me this feels pretty age appropriate. Azuma type girl was into me when I thought I'd never have a chance in a million years. She spontaneously made her move on a outing with friends just like the one Azuma invited Taira to and the rest is history. If this ends up happening, their relationship and development mirrors mine so much, its almost unreal.

Thought a lot about my own lack of feelings and narcissism at the time. I was later diagnosed with Aspergers so that cleared a lot of things up.
Problem is not how they feel or how they are as a person. Problem is their inner monologues practically read like a professional character analysis every single time. It's like he is reading his own character sheet made by the mangaka.

You can say "oh that was how i was around that age" but this is you saying it now. I highly doubt you were this articulate and this aware of yourself when you were actually 16. Hearing all that coming from the kids themselfs feels highly unrealistic. If it was a depiction coming from an actual adult observing them, that would be a different story or if this was a seinen and wasn't about highschoolers.

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
Firstly it's a work of fiction, things don't have to be "exactly like in real life", actually I think there are and there were quite a lot of young people aged 17-18 who are eloquent and intelligent enough for such self-analysis. Kinda weird that you think as if all high schoolers are narrow-minded and can't string two words together. Secondly this mangaplus localization sucks ass, the people who made it take simple dialogues, and complicate them with abstruse words, sometimes outright changing the meaning of the lines.

Problem is not how they feel or how they are as a person. Problem is their inner monologues practically read like a professional character analysis every single time. It's like he is reading his own character sheet made by the mangaka.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I highly doubt you were this articulate and this aware of yourself when you were actually 16. Hearing all that coming from the kids themselfs feels highly unrealistic.
I highly doubt you talk the way you type. And almost no characters speak in a "realistic" way. There are always too few flaws, like stutters, broken sentences, broken thoughts, mispronunciations, wrong words, etc.

I think their thoughts are the same. It cuts out the actual thought processes and gives us the content with some clarifications to account for thoughts being plain weird and half-way subconscious. And for their age, it's not particularly inappropriate.

Dex-chan lover

You can say "oh that was how i was around that age" but this is you saying it now. I highly doubt you were this articulate and this aware of yourself when you were actually 16. Hearing all that coming from the kids themselfs feels highly unrealistic. If it was a depiction coming from an actual adult observing them, that would be a different story or if this was a seinen and wasn't about highschoolers.
Speaking personally, Taira's feelings of low self confidence and introversion while also being self centered are very close to home for my high school self. The difference is he can put it into words, I couldn't do that. It's a bit of a stretch but he's a manga character on a page, there's no other way to show that to us.

For me and probably for Taira maturing going in college and into adult life was about expanding your circle from just you and putting faith in other's words and actions. All the setup and support he needs for this is there, he just has to put in the work himself.

Dex-chan lover
Firstly it's a work of fiction, things don't have to be "exactly like in real life", actually I think there are and there were quite a lot of young people aged 17-18 who are eloquent and intelligent enough for such self-analysis. Kinda weird that you think as if all high schoolers are narrow-minded and can't string two words together. Secondly this mangaplus localization sucks ass, the people who made it take simple dialogues, and complicate them with abstruse words, sometimes outright changing the meaning of the lines.
Do you have any examples? I can't read Japanese at all and have only read this localization.

Dex-chan lover
SHOEBILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shoebill.png

Dex-chan lover
Hi, hello, yes, I was one of the people forced to become endlessly introspective to my state of mind. See the thing is, it's not so much character analysis as it is their warped rationalization of their thoughts and feelings. When you're in that mental state, it's all you really can do. Also I was articulate due to my incessant consumption of literature.

Users who are viewing this thread