You Shou Yan - Ch. 921 - Where to Go/Months ago

Power Uploader
hello funkyy, i really wonder about panhu and maomaolei gender. Are they both male?
Panhu is male, but since maomaolei can reproduce by itself, it does not have a gender. In their wiki it says they are hermaphroditic, meaning they are both. The original text sometimes refers to them as “he” though but I usually try to keep it neutral

Panhu is male, but since maomaolei can reproduce by itself, it does not have a gender. In their wiki it says they are hermaphroditic, meaning they are both. The original text sometimes refers to them as “he” though but I usually try to keep it neutral
Figured that I wanna create an account just to address this real quick (I usually read the original Chinese version of the webcomics, but discovered it through another friend interested in it, great job with the translations!).

It's worth noting that the word now associated with "he" (alongside "him" and "you") in Chinese, 他, has historically been a gender-neutral pronoun and is still used that way as evidenced by the Mandopop lyrics to this day, 她 (she) is a relatively recent invention.

EDIT: That is to say, 他 can in fact be translated as either "he" or singular "they" (which does in fact includes "she", it's not that common for Mandopop songs to explicitly use 她) depending on the context of the text itself since Chinese is a highly contextual language.

Last edited:
Power Uploader
Figured that I wanna create an account just to address this real quick (I usually read the original Chinese version of the webcomics, but discovered it through another friend interested in it, great job with the translations!).

It's worth noting that the word now associated with "he" (alongside "him" and "you") in Chinese, 他, has historically been a gender-neutral pronoun and is still used that way as evidenced by the Mandopop lyrics to this day, 她 (she) is a relatively recent invention.

EDIT: That is to say, 他 can in fact be translated as either "he" or singular "they" (which does in fact includes "she", it's not that common for Mandopop songs to explicitly use 她) depending on the context of the text itself since Chinese is a highly contextual language.
Oh wow, I did not actually know that, thank you very much for that information, and thank you for reading the comic!

Users who are viewing this thread