Youkai Gurentai - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Dex-chan lover
And there comes the mystery: if yokai nature is like what described, then what driven them to mass invasion? My bet is it's some human/demihuman/former human that took charge.

Dex-chan lover
Wait so was this chapter a kinda “normal slice of life chapter” (as normal as this series could be) with a short punchline that doesn’t get resolved like most slice of life chapter/series? Is this series consisting more of “slice of life” chapters?

Fed-Kun's army
I'm fine with "slow" chapters like this. Doesn't has to be dark and gritty all the time.

Dex-chan lover
I'm not really sure I get this chapter. Let's see how it all fits with the bigger narrative in future chapters.

Dex-chan lover
Okay, the bit about Imperial Japan and WW2 being instigated by youkai was fucking brilliant world building.

Given just how disastrous WW2 was for Japan and how if youkai did exist it would've been damn destructive them as well... and the fact that the Nazis went fucking crazy over the occult during the war and it therefore wouldn't be unthinkable for the Japanese at the time to also look to the occult and their own legends and myths and attempt to research them (whether was was actually done during the war, I don't know, but if it was it was no where near as much as what the Nazis put into occult "research") and try to use them for the war effort.

I mean, towards the end of the war, we were just bombing all of Japan until the Japanese ran out of map space and places we haven't bombed. Without the use of atomic weapons it was just down to how much map area was left to bomb before the mainland invasion of Japan started before the war was going to conclude. So, hypothetically, if youkai existed and were just hiding out in Japan, WW2 would be the start of them either being wiped out or coming out of hiding.

I wish more media would explore that bit and blend real life history with some myths. Because, I mean, when most of the country is being destroyed if there was some supernatural force living in the same area... it would involve them as well.

That's why I like the novel "Out of the Dark" so much where aliens invade Earth and... it does not go well for humanity. At first. Until... something very, VERY fucking dangerous comes out of the dark and is very, very fucking pissed about the whole situation and the aliens learn regret quite quickly. If you like this manga and this type of story, I would recommend reading that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread