Youkai Gurentai

Contributor
@Junpaku
hmmm... stories like this that try and make a character's fantasy racism a good thing puts a really bad taste in my mouth

I'm sort of on the fence about that one in that I genuinely don't know how this story is trying to present the main character's fantasy racism. They're not being treated as 'the sensible one' or 'the one sane man' for hating youkai or anything like that- she's pretty clearly mentally ill. And so is pretty much everyone around her. Characters here are pretty much universally presented as blood-crazed maniacs, alien and hostile inhumans, or credulous dupes who believe that the alien and hostile inhumans can be tamed. But it's not doing the whole Hellsing thing where everyone is presented as gleefully reveling in being unsympathetic and excitingly crazy so we can focus on the spectacle that happens when they butcher each other without feeling guilty about it. The aesthetic of the butchery itself is kind of deliberately dour and even, within the bounds of the loony setting, kind of mundane. It's very weird.

Dex-chan lover
@Junpaku
I don't think the prejudice of Makoto - if she was the character you were referring to - was ever presented in a positive light.
At one point,
she goes rogue and almost got herself killed only to be saved by someone from the kind she hates/fears.
She is clearly a flawed character. If anything else, she just seems to hate people in general.

NOOOOOOOOOO NOT THE HECKIN YOUKARHINOS NOOOOOOO
NOT THE PRECIOUS,CUDDLY WOOZYFOOZY HUMAN KILLING CHILDREN YOKAI

Hmmm this is pretty good, mc is likable and seems pretty deadly. I'm guessing she's half youkai??? Also her dad is creepy af . But yeeeee overall I look forward to more.

Dex-chan lover
I hope someone picks this up, even more so since its finished already.

Dex-chan lover
This manga has my "Tactical" certification.

Its awesome, gritty, and its got guns, lots and lots of guns. Please pick this shit up.

Users who are viewing this thread