Younger boyfriend who drives the older woman crazy. - Oneshot

I think the title is a little bit misleading. (Still read though, because you translated it You outta pocket.) Is there no better term instead of sister? (I really am curious, not blame you for title choice.)
And I think it's not a bad translation. Thanks for the translation!

BCS

Dex-chan lover
Whether it's in past life or future life it's cringe either way

Dex-chan lover
I think the title is a little bit misleading. (Still read though, because you translated it You outta pocket.) Is there no better term instead of sister? (I really am curious, not blame you for title choice.)
And I think it's not a bad translation. Thanks for the translation!
Depending on the source language, better alternatives when translating it would be:
(jp) "anego", (kr) "noona", or (jp + if he's a shota) "onee-san". All of those has non-familial connotations, unlike the english word "sister".

Dex-chan lover
Then he'd have to add a TN to explain what it means.
Not really. Most ppl will get it anyway. But yeah, it would be good-form to add a tl/n.
As for using "sister" instead, a tl/n is required to explain what it means (unlike "noona").

Dex-chan lover
Not really. Most ppl will get it anyway. But yeah, it would be good-form to add a tl/n.
As for using "sister" instead, a tl/n is required to explain what it means (unlike "noona").
While I'm fine with sister without a note when it actually refers to a sister, I do think it's nice to teach words now and then — especially if it adds to the story or is vital to it, like words from the title — so I agree that'd be a nice way to do it. In this case a note is indeed very useful.

That said, compared to the Japanese equivalent very few people would know it. I've read and googled it several times, but I rarely see it and had forgotten by now. (Don't even ask me what little sister would be in Korean, I don't think I've ever heard of that. I'd bet my money on little noona, lol.) Same goes for the Chinese equivalent, which I don't remember. Manwha/manhua just aren't as mainstream yet compared to manga, especially in the West (e.g. any English language website such as MAL) and even more so when it comes to anime.

Dex-chan lover
While I'm fine with sister without a note when it actually refers to a sister,
Yes. The issue here is that it doesn't refer to sister. In this case it refers to {Anego, Noona} \ {Sister}, if we are doing Set-theory.
That said, compared to the Japanese equivalent very few people would know it
Normally yes. But on Mangadex there is a huge bias in the readers, so the ones that do not know the words are a small minority.
(Don't even ask me what little sister would be in Korean, I don't think I've ever heard of that.
I have heard of it, but don't remember it. Also unsure if it is like noona/unnie where it additionally means any younger woman, and not just sister. Could be like japanese where that has a distinct word instead (jou-chan), making an incongruity in having no word for older sister (and instead if means {Older sister, older woman}), but a word for younger sister (imouto).

For posterity and curioisty, I googled and found it btw: "yeodongsaeng" ("dongsaeng" for gender neutral).

And yeah, the chinese one is weird, as literally everyone is named "Er" etc. And it keeps on switching position as last/first name. And I know that one of those names (probably the prefix "Er"?) is both the word for "younger lady" (or little sister, unsure; or just gender neutral "younger", unsure), acceptable last name, and acceptable first name...
It is mainstream btw, just that it's trash so I avoid those novels. And they (the tls I have read stuff from) rarely add tl/n's for prefixes, suffixes, etc. In fact, the chinese trash spam is more prevalent than any other. Maybe even on MD too (but definitely on NU)

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, I initially forgot the context we were talking about, so I quickly edited that sentence to point to familial contexts lol
Normally yes. But on Mangadex there is a huge bias in the readers, so the ones that do not know the words are a small minority.
Ah, I wonder if they've put out stats about this, with such a big userbase we can gather many fun demographic and usage stats.
For posterity and curioisty, I googled and found it btw: "yeodongsaeng" ("dongsaeng" for gender neutral).
Went and ahead and googled it too, I wonder how people would shorten these. The four words for older sister/brother are much shorter. From my searches it doesn't appear related slang (bro, sis, let alone little bro/sis) exists. I bet some are more easily found when searching in Korean, but I'll pas on that.
In fact, the chinese trash spam is more prevalent than any other. Maybe even on MD too (but definitely on NU)
I don't see them trending very often, but then older established titles rarely trend anyway. I started one a while ago and after 100+ chapters I discovered the adaptation had been canceled, which is a rather shitty to experience, but apparently occurs often enough. One more factor that would push people away...

Dex-chan lover
I don't see them trending very often, but then older established titles rarely trend anyway. I started one a while ago and after 100+ chapters I discovered the adaptation had been canceled, which is a rather shitty to experience, but apparently occurs often enough. One more factor that would push people away...
To be clear, I were saying they were more common, not more commonly read. I don't have enough data to say anything regarding that.
But I weren't being figurative when I called it "trash-spam", it is well-known that the source of those novels being translated is a platform designed in such a way that it heavily encourages authors to just write trash with as high word-counts as possible. There are (most likely)very good chinese stories too, if you look outside that platform, I just have never encountered anything not from there (afaik - not like I ever made an effort to check :p).
So with that in mind, it makes some sense to assume that it is in fact less mainstream, like you said. Despite being far more prevalent. But again, I haven't checked any data on the subject [of mainstreamity].

Users who are viewing this thread