Your True Color - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - Admire

Contributor
thanks for the chapter but damn that was sad, poor Ito (╥﹏╥) hopefully Sumika will find a way to her

Dex-chan lover
A cute girl objects to a cute girl telling a cute girl that she's a cute girl.

Oookay then.

Double-page supporter
I don't understand. So Onee-san next door used to think she was cute being so attached...what exactly was the problem?

I think the reason why she's so traumatized is because the neighbor was being two faced and manipulative. Obviously she never confronted the problem.

Basically empty compliments and the cute part comes from the mc being like a puppy blindly following.

Dex-chan lover
@Kiraidesu
what exactly was the problem?
That hasn't been made clear, but it seems that Ito wanted to be seen by the older girl as her most precious friend and perhaps as a lover, whereas the older girl saw her as a child and not as that most precious friend or lover, and still does.

To the extent that Ito buys her own condemnation of Sumika's actions, she sees Sumika as setting-up the girl from the audience who came on stage for a crushing disappointment that parallels one from which Ito has not recovered.

Double-page supporter
I can see how the neighbor's attitude can come off as patronizing (never thought she'd get in/she'd do whatever she says), but even in the eavesdropping scene, which would typically have someone talking badly behind their backs...the neighbor still said she thought she was cute, like a very attached little sister. So...what was the trauma?

Edit: ah, cross-posted with Oeconomist. Could be that, I guess.

Dex-chan lover
@Spookie

Nothing shows the neighbor girl as having been two-faced or manipulative. Rather, it seems that she saw Ito as a darling child to be praised and encouraged, without realizing that Ito wanted to be something more in her eyes.

Twi

Fed-Kun's army
@Oeconomist
Maybe I’m way off but when she listened in on the neighbor and her friend talking it felt like she was making fun of her somehow, though I can’t really put my finger on why.

Aggregator gang
@Twi Agreed, and I think it mostly comes down to tone. It feels like she's bragging about how easily she was able to get Ito to believe anything she said. Also in japanese "cute" is written in katakana, instead of the normal kanji or hiragana. That's usually done to give the word more emphasis. Its up for interpretation, but at least to me emphasizing "cute" in the context of this conversation gives it a condescending vibe. Kind of like italics in English: "She's cute, right?" It comes across like she doesn't really believe what she's saying.

KZO

Dex-chan lover
I understand what's going on, but I feel the author is making this more complex than it should be.

@KZO it's not as heavy to others but to some people, this is a big deal so I guess for Ito it truly is like that

UGGHH I really want to see more of this manga. I'm in love the dynamic between the protagonists.

Thanks for the translation!♡

Dex-chan lover
Ito-chan is pretty terrible. I know teens typically don't do things that make sense (cause teens, amirite?) but this is just really dumb. She wants Sumika to act like the ideal Sumika, but she has a problem from back then with her Onee-chan being a very lite version of two-faced (seriously yeah it kinda sucks how she's being full of herself but really? Has Ito-chan never actually met an actual bully in real life?), so she thinks Sumika is being two-faced answering questions in the way she instructed her to answer...

And the lack of self awareness on Ito's part is just stunning considering she's helping Sumika to act like the ideal instead of her true self. XD

Dex-chan lover
They're so in love :) It's so cute <3
Well... She's not wrong, but she's only hurting both of them this way.
Nooo... painful cliffhanger.

I feel like there's so much unnecessary drama going on. Ito has low self-esteem, but has no problems dictating what Sumika should or shouldn't do. Sumika is self-centered, but does things to earn Ito's praise and actually starts to become a little more self-aware and empathetic. Ito, on the other hand, just is an ass because of some onee-chan from way back then saying that Ito's her shadow. What a dumbass thing to still be caught up on.

"She's cute right?" because --> "She'll listen to anything that I say."

Hopefully that clears it up for some people.

Users who are viewing this thread