Yume no Shizuku, Kin no Torikago - Vol. 14 Ch. 53

Hurrem is starting to look a bit like the scheming woman she was thought to be on that cover. Well it was to be expected since she's forced into that position, but it's strange to see one of Chie's main heroines look a bit like a villainess instead of a heroic ingenue.

Reading historical works are a bit of a bummer, because we all know how they'd end up. =//

Group Leader
I gave a 10/10 for historical accuracy to this chapter, because Suleiman never spoke directly to foreign ambassadors. He always had someone else spoke for him while he remained silent like a statue, which spooked the said ambassadors a lot. Shinohara-sensei caught a nice detail there.

Ibrahim is a little turd, but I liked the exchange between him and Alvise. Our Italian lover boy seems like the only sensible man in this story.

If you guys started to feel that each character more and more resembles its historical figure, then the wheel has turned that way. Chie-sensei clearly bring us the world between its fictional part and its actual timeline. Some people angry because Ibrahim's sudden switch sides but I still like it. I can't imagine the dramatic, cringe-y love story between the two (like how Ibrahim did in the past lol) that's why such power status, loyalty, and tradition exists to bind their fate.

And from this chapter ........ I honestly don't know which part royalbl has pointed about Hurrem being so wicked. From the results of my googling, well, Hurrem is indeed a smart and powerful manipulator but I don't get that villainness for her portrayals in this manga. At least not now, and not near in the future. Same goes to Ibrahim. If there's anything to blame, shouldn't it be Suleiman? He's a sultan who doesn't interfere in anything, sticking to principles and power. He also held both Ibrahim's and Hurrem's freedom.

I won't expect some kind of stupid, reckless revolution from the two of them. Automatically it is death for them. But it is possible that they still hold the same feelings. Ibrahim also understood Hatice and Alvise's feelings.

Group Leader
@goronyanpai I'm not royalbl, but mind if I chime in? Hurrem is a widely hated historical figure for starting what's called the "Sultanate of Women" period. Basically, powerful women from harem held the reins of the empire during that period much to politicians' and historians' chagrin. It lasted approximately until the end of 17th century, after which the Empire continued to decline. Most historians blame women for meddling with state affairs during this period, which led it to its ruin. I wouldn't want to give spoilers, but two very important people (among others) are later killed by Suleiman, and people believe Hurrem had him do it. I do recommend Empress of the East by Leslie Peirce, it's a very good biography of Hurrem.

I also agree about Suleiman. His "lol, I don't care!" attitude gets to me sometimes. Like dude, your sons will end up killing each other! I know fratricide was the norm back then and Suleiman too very likely had his brothers killed but still, do something! Or Shinohara should show us more of him so we can tell what he's thinking instead of gratuitous views from Istanbul.

Let's see if Suleiman will still be so smug in vol. 15 😈

I've just read post on friendshipscans Tumblr. I bought vol.14 ebook on bookwalker but so sad I don't know how to export it. :(

Atm Hurrem wants to be an "peaceful" person but except her, no one in harem cares about the "peaceful". They used to the unspoken rule "kill or be killed". For example, Hurrem doesn't want to harm Mustafa but Gulbahar will definitely harms Hurrem's sons if she has a chance. Now Ibrahim turned his back to Hurrem and support Mustafa, Hurrem protects her children alone. I think it's time for her to change. :))

@bakasennin Sure! Sorry for late reply.
I see, interesting. Thanks for filling me in. I understand Hurrem's character a little better. But, I want to make a little clarification. From the previous point, I actually gave more views about her character than the potential she would do in the future. I feel that her portrait (in this manga especially) is not that wicked so that’s why I disagree with royalbl. I still can't let go the image of a miserable woman who’s not only betrayed by her love, but her child's existence also rejected. I see her against the definition of true revenge too. She’s more likely to have to survive but no obvious hatred (at least for now). Giving her the nickname "villainess" doesn't seem like the right word for me.

However, I might be wrong and there will be other portrayals of Hurrem’s true character in the future, as you mentioned. *Sighhhh* that’s crazy. I feel upset if there is a massive change in her character. AND WHO’LL DIE? Wow, this manga almost fills my head every time I remember it. I shouldn't have read the update or I would die of curiosity.

Yeah, Suleiman's only exists as someone who has more power. And people like Ibrahim want to be loyal under him. :/ *roll eyes* Or I should be happy that he's not a potential third person to replace Ibrahim in Hurrem's heart.

Group Leader
@goronyanpai You're right, she's been portrayed as an innocent girl so far and one does not expect her to go full evil. She probably wasn't as evil as some historians paint her to be, but she definitely pulled some strings and I'm glad Shinohara won't shy away from showing her involvement in politics. (That was a light spoiler for the next chapter😃)

@strawberryicedtea BW and EBJ have better quality manga, but I don't know how to rip from them either :( So I bought mine from booklive, which can be exported more easily and my eyes hate me for it because it's lower quality. Reading those tiny Turkish words in katakana next to some kanji was a true challenge.

@bakasennin Hi, it's been a while. Actually I don't know Jap, i bought ebooks to support Chie-sensei. :D I bought petit magazine once, so disappointed about the art, magazine version is tooooooo sketchy compared to published book version (except architectural arts, maybe her assistant draws it.) :( After that I decided to only buy published one. :(

For Hurrem's development, I think some words like "iron" "rigid" would be more suitable to talk about her in the future (until she losts someone important to her...).

Group Leader
@strawberryicedtea How rude of me not to say hi. Hi! You're are a scholar and a gentleman for supporting the author :)
I get the raws for translating, it's nice to know people like you exist.
I never even check the magazine serialization, because I know mangaka usually fix stuff for the tankoubon release. I suspect Shinohara has her assistants draw most of the background characters too, because they don't look like her usual style. My suspicions are now founded. I never would have guessed it was that bad though. 😂

"Hurrem the Iron Sultan" sounds nice...

@bakasennin It's okay. :D I am not a gentleman because I'm a girl hahaha. :D isn't it obvious to buy published books for supporting the mangaka? Ebooks's price is cheap either, even cheaper if i buy them when bookwalker has a discount campaign. :D

Gulbahar must be biggest victim of Chie-sensei and her team. :D Sometimes she is more than perfect, sometimes she looks like a man haha.

Group Leader
@strawberryicedtea My fellow gentlewoman then :)

I recently started reading Anatolia Story and does Gülbahar look like the queen there! :) Especially when she's grinning, she's giving me evil queen vibes.

@bakasennin wow, when I search for this manga's info on social networks, 100% people came to this series because of Chie-sensei & Anatolian Story. (Turkey was once a part of Hittite. 😀) You must be the only one came here before reading AS! 😀

Yeah, sometimes I wish Gulbahar's evil like Nakia, this would make this series (and Hurrem's life 😀) more dramatic. 😀

Users who are viewing this thread