Yume no Shizuku, Kin no Torikago - Vol. 14 Ch. 54

Wow, super fast. Thanks for scanlation!

I know nothing about Islam, seeing Olga wearing veil (?) give me a curiosity. Hurrem and Olga were born in Ukraine so their religion must be Eastern Christian. Did they convert to Islam?

BIG thank you for the update!
The story keep getting more and more interesting 👀

Dex-chan lover
QUEEN ! we love this chara development and the vast networks she has built during her difficult journey 😤😤

@strawberryicedtea as a slave, you were converted to islam I believe. Also, the ottomans wouldnt have respected your right to practice your own religion if you were a slave like olga and hurrem. Even noble wives would have had to convert like the sultan's mother.

I was nervous at first that gulbahar may have discovered something fishy about where hurrem gets the money, but I'm glad it showed hurren's brilliance instead!

Also, suleiman saying "if gulbahar is resourceful enough" means he does understand that the tax is not enough and hurrem had to use her wits to fund the vakifs

You go girl! I felt like that deep down soleiman knew that gulbahar wouldn't be able to get to the same level as hurrem. The comparison between the two was proof of that. I love it!

Group Leader
Okay, I need get this info dump off my chest: I think the deal with the vakif stuff requires some explanation that cannot be fitted in T/Ns, so here it is.

Normally, a woman in the Ottoman Empire was not allowed to establish her own vakif (waqf) unless she was the valide sultan (mother of the sultan) or the daughter of a sultan, preferably married to some influential state official. All the other palace ladies were nothing but slaves, and they had to know their place as such. And even when women founded vakifs, they were almost never in Istanbul, but in other parts of the empire, mostly where the sultan stayed as a governor when he was a prince. Having a vakif in the capital was considered to be a privilege only enjoyed by the sultan or very influential grand viziers. When imperial ladies built mosques/established vakifs, they were either in the provinces or rural parts of Istanbul at best. So Hurrem breaks two taboos: She establishes her own vakif before becoming the valide sultan, and in Istanbul at that. Well, Galata is not technically in the old city, but it's right across where the palace is (I think this vakif in the manga is fictional though, I couldn't find such a place in Galata. If someone knows, please do tell me). So, like, wow. That's why everyone is scandalized about the vakif stuff.

Fun fact: Hurrem actually established a vakif inside the old city walls later. There is still a hospital there, and that neigborhood is still called "Haseki". And the hospital she established was one of the first and biggest health institutions in Istanbul. How cool is that? I didn't know why that place was called Haseki before 😅

Group Leader
@moichispa You're welcome! I read a couple of history books thanks to this manga, so I'd be more than happy to share what little I know (until someone tells me I'm annoying 😃).

Users who are viewing this thread