Yume no Shizuku, Kin no Torikago - Vol. 14 Ch. 56

Double-page supporter
I look forward to and enjoy every chapter you release of this series, thank you so much Friendship Scans!

Dex-chan lover
DAMMNIT IBRAHIM GRR they should have ur circumcision too since ur so eager, chop the whole thing off LMAO

Thank you for double release <3 <3

Group Leader
I have another boring info dump, because you might not understand why everyone was so shook about the circumcision :)

Circumcision is referred as "first step to manhood", and after his circumcision ceremony, a boy is considered a man. For instance, up until that point, they mostly hang out with their moms and other women, but after their circumcision, they start hanging out more with the male members of the family and to do "manlier" things.

For a member of the imperial family, this was even more important. First of all, princes's circumcision ceremonies were big events. Grand festivals were held in the city for days and even foreign ambassadors were invited to witness the Empire's riches. So, it was a very good opportunity to improve one's public image. (afaik, the craziest circumcision ceremony was Mehmed III's when he was a prince, if you are interested.) Second, it was a sign showing that the prince was ready to take on official duties as a "man". Ottoman princes were all sent to provinces, as teenagers most of the time, to rule as governors where they learned how to rule, basically. This happened after their circumcision ceremony, and was another great event. If your sultan father sent you to a province close to the capital, it meant that he kind of saw you as his successor, because you would be the first to arrive in Istanbul upon his death with your army to claim to throne. This duty was important, because it is where you raise yourself an army and find other allies for the upcoming war with your brothers for the throne. The sooner you start, the better it is.

In Suleiman's case, I read that people criticised him for having Mustafa's circumcision way too late and not sending him away to a province until he was an adult (and everyone blamed Hurrem for it). This chapter fans that fire: She seeks to have his son get circumcised first, and possibly wants to have him the best province available. Hurrem requesting Mehmed's circumcision while Mustafa had not yet had his is like a slap in Gulbahar and Mustafa's face.

@auodere lol, it's too late for Ibrahim. He has already misused his D, and I doubt Suleiman would like that seeing how they kind of have... a thing going on.
Ibrahim will have something chopped off alright though.

Suleiman looked like he had just found a new plaything or sth like that in page 173...

Vol.14 is done, right? Friendship scans completed translating a tankoubon in about 10 days, thanks for your hard work!

I wonder if the author will ever let us get suleiman's POV. We get into hurrem or ibrahim's thoughts often enough, but we never know what suleiman is thinking. From an outside POV, he seems nonchalant and views everything as a "game", he also does not show which prince he favors. Is he really that detached from harem affairs and who will be the successor? Is he curious about the power struggle between ibrahim and hurrem, who was previously sponsored by the former?

I mean, it doesn't make sense for ibrahim to support mustafa. First, hurrem is more favored by suleiman, and with ibrahim prev sponsoring her, he's in a better position to support her. Ofc, we know ibrahim motives, but others don't.

Makes me wonder if suleiman actually knows hurrem and ibrahim's history.

Group Leader
@Bananananaaaaaa and @Meichiri You're welcome! I'm glad someone's reading what I write :)

@strawberryicedtea Yup, this was the last part of vol. 14. Sometimes, I'm glad this manga has so little text. TL'ing it takes so little time. 😋

@Serinasan I'm curious about what he's thinking too. He keeps walking around with that trolling face, but I'm pretty sure he knows what's going on. Take the previous chapter, for example. He looked certain that Gülbahar wouldn't be able establish a vakıf like Hürrem did, and allowed her just for the lulz. I think he knows about İbrahim and Hürrem too, but keeping silent for the time being.

IRL, Ibrahim is told be a very ambitous man. So I guess that's why he fell out with Hurrem. He probably prefers a sultan whom he can manipulate, and he knew that he wouldn't have it with Hurrem throwing her weight as the empress dowager. Mustafa was well loved by everyone too and everyone thought he'd be the next sultan; so placing his bets on the eldest prince instead of Hurrem's young sons might have seemed like a better shot. Other people in the manga might be interpreting his behaviour in this way too. I don't know, I need to read more about that guy, He's a pretty interesting character in real life too :)

As for Suleiman not caring about the succession, it is an old Turkish custom. There is this concept of Kut, which means that only heavens know who can rule a state and men have no say in the matter. That's why all the sultans let their sons fight for the throne when they died w/o appointing a successor (until 17th century anyway). So I can kind of understand him not taking place in that power struggle, because probably Suleiman himself had to get rid of some of her brothers to have his throne and wants his sons to walk the same path. Or he's just a troll who enjoys watching other people suffer :D

@bakasennin I also read your information comments. I wish mangadex could have like button. 🙄

I agree that Suleiman knows everything and i think he enjoys watching the game. :)) When he asked Ibrahim about Mehmed's sunnet ceremony, i feel like he's given Ibrahim a chance to trip Hurrem up. 🙄

Group Leader
@moichispa That's good to hear!

@strawberryicedtea Thank you! Suleiman probably would have had Mustafa's ceremony too, because you are supposed to be circumcised already at that age, like come on, but still tested Ibrahim there. He wanted to see how far Ibrahim will go to block Hurrem's path. I really want to know what's going on in his head!

Dex-chan lover
Thanks, Bakasenin.

Also wow, men’s schweens were super important back then huh.

Dex-chan lover
@bakasennin ooo thanks for the all tidbits of info, really helps in putting things in perspective :) but damn lol
I guess getting that lopped off in the future will do just fine too haha

@bakasennin "trolling face" lmao, pretty accurate, Suleiman does walk around with that knowing smirk a lot haha.

Also, thank you for providing additional information and context in the comments, it really makes me appreciate the plot more 😊

Users who are viewing this thread