Yume no Shizuku, Kin no Torikago - Vol. 15 Ch. 59

Group Leader
You tell him, girl. You tell him! Seeing Hürrem stand up against İbrahim felt so satisfying.

Also I wonder if Gülbahar knew that Suleiman had a thing with İbrahim😅 He is a "special" subject alright.

Omg Hurrem's children are soooooooo cute I love them. ( ˘ ³˘)♥

Gulbahar's foolishness really has no limit... How could she ask for a room for Ibrahim in harem? ಠ_ಠ

Hurrem Sultan incoming (✷‿✷)

@bakasennin do you have any interesting wall of text for this chapter? (≧▽≦)

Maybe Gülbahar was a protofujoshi all along...

Nice to see Hurrem aiming so high. You can do it girl!

By the way any idea about the hieroglyph on Ibrahim residence? It is kinda odd

Group Leader
@moichispa That obelisk is still there, and it has been since the Roman Empire :) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelisk_of_Theodosius The Romans were ahead of their time, seeing how the French put an obelisk in Place de la Concorde centuries later :p
Ibrahim's mansion overlooks the square where the obelisk is, and it's used as the Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum today (and it has a cute café in its garden. /instagram blogger mode off/).

Fujobahar will be her new nickname :)

@strawberryicedtea Hehe, I hope the above info was interesting. My possible topic for a wall of text is kind of explained in the next chapter, so I was saving it for then. But since you asked, here comes -part of it-:

Hurrem saying that she'll be the empress is a very boss-like thing to say. More than it appears to. The Ottoman Empire had no empresses. Even though old Turkic states has something akin to an empress, after converting to Islam, the Turks abandoned the idea of having a female ruler. Even when Ottoman Sultans were marrying to high-ranking ladies of other Turkish states at the earlier stages of the empire, and princesses of other foreign states (they've had many political marriages with Balkanic states and the Byzantines), their wives were never considered as empresses. They were well-respected and such, but were not sovereigns on a diplomatic level.

In an age where the European states all had kings and queens, the status of the sultan's wives were confusing to Europeans. So you can see European sources calling Hürrem "Roxelana, the Empress of the Ottoman Empire", but no one in the Ottoman Empire had such a notion. Hürrem proclaiming that she'll become the empress shows that she is aware of the royal customs in Europe (which is impressive for a slave who's spent her life in the Harem), and she is ambitious enough to go against Turkish traditions to become one herself. She's shaking centuries-old customs there, like wow!

Fast forward to today: Except for the two regent valide sultans, Hürrem is the only Harem lady whose name is remembered as a statesperson.

Dex-chan lover
Great chapter!! Hurrem had so many kids omg they're all so cute :') I'm so happy that Ibrahim's spies are switching factions, can't wait to see the drama around that.

I love that theres no hesitation when Hurrem declares to herself that she will be empress, not a doubt in her mind. You go girl!!!!

Thanks for the translations <3

@bakasennin yeah, the word "wife" is really misleading for someone know nothing about Turkish history. I've seen some topics about Magnificent Century and almost everyone thought gulbahar's the empress bcs of her title as a first wife. I haven't seen this series so they gave me a curiousity. :)) Bcs i always think Kadin is as same as high ranking consort in some East Asia countries history (the word "妃", i don't know how to translate it)

Group Leader
@strawberryicedtea In Japanese, they use "夫人" for kadın. "Wife" is the first translation that comes to mind, but it also means "consort". Maybe I should change the TL (although it would maybe confuse everyone even more after this point), thanks! Court titles don't always have equivalents, I understand why the mangaka is keeping them in Turkish :)

There was this interesting Harem hierarchy chart in another Harem manga: https://i.imgur.com/Q22znIj.jpg The one at the top is Valide Sultan :)

I haven't seen a single episode of Magnificent Century, but now I'm curious to see how they handled the translation :)

@bakasennin i guess you are not from East Asia? 夫人 was a word to call every married woman politely, especially ladies of the merchant and noble families. For royal family, 夫人 used to be title of the King's concubine in some period. I think the best translation is consort or mistress.

ಥ_ಥ with my bad English level, East Asia ancient titles are difficult to translate or explain. I've used some dictionaries and it took me 30 minutes to complete this short comment.

Group Leader
@strawberryicedtea Nope, I'm from the western end of Asia :) And I only speak Japanese, but I can still feel your pain about the royal titles ;_; I think I encountered that "lady wife" meaning of the word the most in Japanese; so my brain is automatically converts 夫人 to wife 😅 I should read more stuff in royal settings, but those Chinese court titles do scare me. Once again, thank you!

As for me, the source of my suffering is the obscure Turkish words written in Japanese alphabet in this manga. I'm looking at you, Olga in chapter 54. I had to check Ottoman Turkish dictionaries and some articles to get her new title right.

Users who are viewing this thread