Yumekui Merry - Vol. 20 Ch. 117 - Poison Queen

Dex-chan lover
You guy might not have hopes or dreams but damn do you give me hope everytime you put out a new chapter.

Fed-Kun's army
ディネース seems to come from the term Testudines, which refers to the order of all turtle-like creatures.

Group Leader
@NrgSpoon
I want to agree but the pronunciation of the dines part of testudines seems to pronounced differently than ディネース.

The general problem is that while I got the testudine part, the line simply uses "dines" rather than "testudines"
testu, coming from the latin root testa meaning shell, is the important half of the word.
dines, meanwhile, was just the grammatical conjugation of the word? I tried to look up what that half means and couldn't find out back then, I was flipping through to see if I could find a connection to the word "undine" but that didn't pan out either. According to that page you linked, "testudo" is its singular and "testudines" is plural? (thanks for that, by the way)

Anyway, I wasn't really adamant about it because I was confused as to why he'd drop the part of the word that actually refers to the turtle shell and use the other half.

@bluethings

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/testudo#Latin

I agree that he dropped the "wrong" part of the word, but I've gotten used to Japanese "loanwords" making no sense to native speakers of the language borrowed from.
I don't think they take the original language into account when shortening, so maybe "dines" just sounded cooler/cuter/whatever? :p

@meganeko

I guess I'll just leave it to author preference... but I'm gonna have to disagree with him. TESTUDO is a great name for an offensive shield.

Users who are viewing this thread