Yumenashi-sensei no Shinroshidou - Vol. 2 Ch. 10 - Aspiration: Male Idol Part 5

Dex-chan lover
The most sensible of this group is definitely Hisanori-senpai and for that to happen he must have done a lot of shit (according to the rumors), which could still come back to him in the future and he's aware of that (so he just does what needs to be done). If our protagonist is lucky, he'll only come out of this with a stab wound...~ :wooow:
Thks for the tl~
b36n04L.png

Double-page supporter
This series is really starting to lose me. Sure, the developments are within the realm of possibility, but I can't help but feel the author is turning things up to eleven to force (unnecessary) drama. It doesn't take much to deconstruct the idol industry and yet here we are dealing with compensated dating. It's becoming less cautionary tale and more schadenfreude at this point.

I can't help but compare this to Yomawari Sensei and We Shall Now Begin Ethics. Both titles deal with heavier topics and yet manage to do so much more effortlessly than this series.

Dex-chan lover
This series is really starting to lose me. Sure, the developments are within the realm of possibility, but I can't help but feel the author is turning things up to eleven to force (unnecessary) drama. It doesn't take much to deconstruct the idol industry and yet here we are dealing with compensated dating. It's becoming less cautionary tale and more schadenfreude at this point.

I can't help but compare this to Yomawari Sensei and We Shall Now Begin Ethics. Both titles deal with heavier topics and yet manage to do so much more effortlessly than this series.
Ethics is very great because its pacing, especially early on, was breakneck. The first set of students all had very unique personalities that could make entire character arcs on their own, yet it also understand that, as an Ethics class, there isn't much that can be done with some of their idiosyncracies. Hence only giving 1-2 chapters and short mentions afterwards per student. It gives more direct payoffs and help reset tension for some of the more dramatic or heavier topics. Sensei was also far more involved in the stories, actively trying to steer the students in the right direction, giving constant advice, letting us into his warped, nihilistic mind. Sensei also learns new perspectives himself, he doesn't always have the answer to a problem or is enlightened to some his students' perspectives, giving him a lot of character.

Dreamcrusher here is barely involved in his own story and his advice is nowhere near as practical as Ethics-sensei. Most of it is very general therapy advice about gaining a new perspective, compare to the interesting solutions to dramatic problems like "How do I stop being a psychopath?". The stories are much longer but have far less interesting aspects to the characters because it is about the career instead. And not only are we REPEATING careers three arcs in, but we have an incredibly popular story about the trials, tribulations, and terrible drama of the idol industry. WE KNOW THE PROBLEMS WITH IDOLS ALREADY, THERE IS NO STORY HERE.

It fumbles the bag trying to do a twist on the Satirical Anthology of Modern Japan manga trope that is becoming more and more popular. It feels like the author has no real insight on the career, the nature of youth, or even his own messages. It is very disappointing. I'm willing to give it more of a chance because yandere girl deserves better, but there's nothing this story offers so far compared to the contemporaries.

I would also recommend Shrink ~Psychiatrist Yowai~ for another good Satirical Anthology if you love medical psychology as a field as I do. Not as personable since it focuses on working adults over teens but the human aspect SHINES in that series.

Dex-chan lover
He's a blatant PoS but the girl is at fault as well for being a literal simp.
(Again the biggest villain here is Japan and its nonexistent networks for mental health.)
Yeah. Tbf man is just doing his job. We can't blame him for that. In a way he achieved his dream compared to the other students. He's making money, he's fucking bitches. Maybe not at the level he wanted but he seems to be fine with it now. What sort of comeuppance is gonna happen to him? What part will Yumenashi sensei plays?

Genuinely intrigued by what's coming.

Dex-chan lover

Disagree. We still have no idea what's gonna happen in the future. Honestly, I would love if nothing happened to this scumbag and Yumenashi sensei is proven wrong.

Also, Ethics literally have rape as a plot point in the first arc iirc. I would use School Back as a better example of dealing with real teenagers problem without being too dramatic.

Dex-chan lover
Ethics is very great because its pacing, especially early on, was breakneck. The first set of students all had very unique personalities that could make entire character arcs on their own, yet it also understand that, as an Ethics class, there isn't much that can be done with some of their idiosyncracies. Hence only giving 1-2 chapters and short mentions afterwards per student. It gives more direct payoffs and help reset tension for some of the more dramatic or heavier topics. Sensei was also far more involved in the stories, actively trying to steer the students in the right direction, giving constant advice, letting us into his warped, nihilistic mind. Sensei also learns new perspectives himself, he doesn't always have the answer to a problem or is enlightened to some his students' perspectives, giving him a lot of character.

Dreamcrusher here is barely involved in his own story and his advice is nowhere near as practical as Ethics-sensei. Most of it is very general therapy advice about gaining a new perspective, compare to the interesting solutions to dramatic problems like "How do I stop being a psychopath?". The stories are much longer but have far less interesting aspects to the characters because it is about the career instead. And not only are we REPEATING careers three arcs in, but we have an incredibly popular story about the trials, tribulations, and terrible drama of the idol industry. WE KNOW THE PROBLEMS WITH IDOLS ALREADY, THERE IS NO STORY HERE.

It fumbles the bag trying to do a twist on the Satirical Anthology of Modern Japan manga trope that is becoming more and more popular. It feels like the author has no real insight on the career, the nature of youth, or even his own messages. It is very disappointing. I'm willing to give it more of a chance because yandere girl deserves better, but there's nothing this story offers so far compared to the contemporaries.

I would also recommend Shrink ~Psychiatrist Yowai~ for another good Satirical Anthology if you love medical psychology as a field as I do. Not as personable since it focuses on working adults over teens but the human aspect SHINES in that series.
I actually think otherwise. To outsiders , what Yumenashi is preaching may be obvious but to young, dream guided teenagers, it's not. The first two arc showed that. Now we don't really know what's gonna happen in future chapters but I would love if nothing actually happened to this scumbag, proving Yumenashi wrong. That'll be a great way to show that even someone like him make mistake.

Also, if you want recommendations, I suggest reading School Back. Far better than Ethics imo

Dex-chan lover
I think its highly interesting that its now showing the fall of a bystander too. For better or worse it seems like he's closer to achieving his dream. I love that it's exploring the parasocial nature of the job and I can't wait for what comes next! Thank you so much for the translation
Exactly. Like I would love if nothing happened to this scumbag. Instead, other people lives are ruined. Yumenashi sensei is proven wrong.

Double-page supporter
Disagree. We still have no idea what's gonna happen in the future. Honestly, I would love if nothing happened to this scumbag and Yumenashi sensei is proven wrong.
I'm not saying the story is predictable, though. Rather, it feels as if the author thinks he needs to resort to extremes to tell a story, and in doing so ends up - in my opinion - messing with the reader's suspension of disbelief.

Take the second arc, for example: the twist could be summed up as "shit happens." The suicide that advanced the plot was neither the result of the kid's choices nor his hubris. It literally came out of nowhere (props to the author for not making the kid an accessory to the suicide, though). It's as if the author is picking a random career from a box and thinking, "ok, how do I make this idiot's life as miserable as possible?" At the rate he's going, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to "deconstruct" a career in education by using false allegations of sexual abuse.

Like I said, it's already schadenfreude at this point. But then again, there's only so much an author can do with this premise. Oh, well, I guess.

And yes, School Back is good. Was trying to think of alternative titles earlier and forgot about that!

Dex-chan lover
I'm not saying the story is predictable, though. Rather, it feels as if the author thinks he needs to resort to extremes to tell a story, and in doing so ends up - in my opinion - messing with the reader's suspension of disbelief.

Take the second arc, for example: the twist could be summed up as "shit happens." The suicide that advanced the plot was neither the result of the kid's choices nor his hubris. It literally came out of nowhere (props to the author for not making the kid an accessory to the suicide, though). It's as if the author is picking a random career from a box and thinking, "ok, how do I make this idiot's life as miserable as possible?" At the rate he's going, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to "deconstruct" a career in education by using false allegations of sexual abuse.

Like I said, it's already schadenfreude at this point. But then again, there's only so much an author can do with this premise. Oh, well, I guess.

And yes, School Back is good. Was trying to think of alternative titles earlier and forgot about that!
I mean that's the point? And there's nothing extreme about a train conductor seeing a suicide especially in a country like Japan. On the contrary, the career and their dark sides chosen have been very realistic. The va being sexually abused for promise of fame. The train conductor trauma from seeing a suicide and still being forced to work afterwards. This arc as well. Hell, many thought that bad things would happen to this scumbag but no, instead he lives a good live and other people are suffering.

I love seeing how dreams can be damaging to someone or the people around them. Most if not all stories goes the other way, work hard and you'll achieve your dreams, ignoring the dark things that you'll be facing with your dream.

Users who are viewing this thread