Zipang

Group Leader
@immortalartisan - This is no more propaganda than, say, "Guns of the South", by Harry Turtledove. There is a light-novel/OVA series called "Konpeki no Kantai" which is considerably more detached from reality. I ought to know: I've been translating it, albeit at a snail's pace.

Group Leader
i'm putting zipang on hold because the source material for the upcoming volume is less processed and more raw than this one and I still don't have the experience to process it yet.
i'm not dropping out from scanlation, I just prefer doing it on my own pace including uploading in bulk.

Group Leader
A bit of history: it turns out that "Zipang" is a version of the name given by Marco Polo for a legendary country 1500 miles east of China known as the "Land of Gold". Japan, of course, but distorted through the lens of legend. The legends in China, as Marco Polo himself never went so far as Japan.

https://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia45/en/feature/feature01.html

What, this manga isn’t a huge nationalist propaganda manga like that one OVA?

Group Leader
@Refugee2731 - According to MangaUpdates, the anime starts at volume 1, chapter 1 and ends at volume 7, chapter 69. In other words, the manga is far beyond the anime now. But the manga has 42 volumes in all, and we are only at the start of volume 14 so far. It will be a miracle if the entire series ever gets completely scanlated.

FWIW, the word on the street is that even at 42 volumes (or perhaps because of it), the ending was rushed.

The anime and the manga start at the same point: Mirai departing from Yokusoka and sailing for Hawaii.

The comments be like: Japan Propaganda Bad!
Also their country before, during, and after WW2: Segregation here, genocide there, ethnic cleansing here, dictatorship there, racism here, EJKs there, political espionage here, colonialism there, censorship here, propaganda there.

Almost as if every country has always been guilty of crimes against humanity throughout history. It's really only a matter of who won the supposed world war that can enforce their own ideals and demonize anyone that stands against them. Yeah, historical revisionism is bad, but I wonder who was behind the cover up all this time? Something tells me it's the people who pretty polices the whole world, even it's own people.

Users who are viewing this thread