ZIPMAN!!

I love everything but the unrequited love angle. It is a huge downer to see someone trying so hard when it just isn't going to happen.

The art is ok, but everything else is pretty trash. Mediocre characters that feel too copy-paste (characters will always have at least some similarities in any story, though) and generic. The duo MC's are twin brothers. There's a dumb guy with a good heart who is strong, but whom everyone is scared of, whose simple methods of problem solving are supposed to indicate a hidden "depth" to him, and then the archetypical smart guy whom everyone fawns over and is the ideal everyone wishes they could emulate, who comes across as cold and callus but truly cares for those close to him. While the latter is not quite tsundere level, he's close; with my assumption being that he probably acts that way to "protect" those near to him, and because he is insecure and jealous of character traits his brother (dumb guy) has. There's also an unrequited childhood friend love interest who provides the MC's with their motivation -- but as of writing this (Ch. 6) she's been little more than a trophy and damsel in distress; however, a demonstrably brave one.
The plot itself isn't particularly good either, unfortunately. It's chaotic, can't set a tone, and feels like it's written by someone who's trying to do too much at once, but ends up doing nothing at all. Anyone who has read manga for an extended period of time would notice the continuation of WSJ's trend to push a frantic pace out of the starting gate to acquire those all-important "reader votes". This trend, of course, sacrifice's character and world building, as well as plot for: "action, action, ACTION!" without actually providing the reader a reason to care. While the art can be enjoyable to look at, it ends up being a shallow experience that is less than memorable. To me, this editorial philosophy is sacrificing long-term success for short-term gains. It's a lazy method that an Editor can use as a scapegoat by claiming they "tried everything" when failures occur. The only series that are capable of surviving this process are the ones who are fortunate enough to have an Editor/Author combo who are able to maintain a balance that rests precariously on a razror's edge. This series, thus far, is not one of them. I suspect that it will likely be cancelled within 4-5 months if it maintains the way it's going.

So, why write this? Right? I'm bored and have the flu, so it's something to do. Hopefully some good changes happen.

@Happily_Grim I get what you're saying, but those series with poor votes tend to have shit sales as well. It's not exactly in Jump's best interests to keep series which give nothing a chance.

Group Leader
yeah after this week's chapter it's almost certain this is getting axed

Double-page supporter
"Don't mind me, I just came to see how your manga is doing."
maxresdefault.jpg

Many says this manga is axed. But I don't think so, it's more like the author's attempt to make superhero manga, which works well.
That was such a wild ride for 17 chapters. Strongly recommended for those who enjoys reading action, superhero manga hoho

Users who are viewing this thread