TS Eiseihei-san no Senjou Nikki - Ch. 5

Dex-chan lover
for a pro gamer.. he sure dumb for using flat shield and bouncing IN their trench..
and not catching it with helmet, put it down to ground and put up a shield..
or did author forgot that part?
coz i dont remember any chp of him using his pro gamer moves or someshit..

Dex-chan lover
It feels dumb that there's barely any field medic like her to provide first aid to reduce the casualties of war. War is all about how much bodies you can keep throwing at the enemy and how you manage to do it. It's no brainer to deploy more medics on the field.

I get that this is trying to do a fantasy WWI story but it feels lacking on certain things.

Dex-chan lover
It feels dumb that there's barely any field medic like her to provide first aid to reduce the casualties of war. War is all about how much bodies you can keep throwing at the enemy and how you manage to do it. It's no brainer to deploy more medics on the field.

I get that this is trying to do a fantasy WWI story but it feels lacking on certain things.
They really could've made a better excuse for it. Maybe have magic healers be a rarity, while a non-mage field medic a regular occurrence. They'd still be able to make MC a special case that way, and have a better reason for the circumstances.

I don't fully remember the background for this manga but keep in mind that medics willing to join in a war are scarce (even more at that time). It's true that IRL the ICRC has a law that considers medics as non-combatants (as long as they don't actively attack an enemy) but, there've been many confirmed cases where this law was broken.

Assuming that such law exists for the manga, would you, as a commander, risk losing those extremely valuable medical personnel just for the chance to save some foot soldiers that might not even be able to join the military again?

It's sad but war is about being practical, not following morals.

Edit for some irl DATA: https://artsandculture.google.com/story/CgXRyyD-LpymLg
As you can see, there were around 30 medical personnel (so not only medics in that total) per every 400-500 soldiers. That would round at a single "medical" unit per every roughly 13 soldiers (at best).

Last edited:
iirc from the novels her keen passive observation of her surroundings that allowed her to spot the grenadier WAS something that she only noticed because of her 'pro gamer' mindset, its her lack of any actual training for that kind of situation that meant she handled it rather poorly.

tbf I think the story is correct to suggest that pro gamer skills don't exactly help a small child handle magical WW1 trench warfare like an FPS god lol

Dex-chan lover
I don't fully remember the background for this manga but keep in mind that medics willing to join in a war are scarce (even more at that time). It's true that IRL the ICRC has a law that considers medics as non-combatants (as long as they don't actively attack an enemy) but, there've been many confirmed cases where this law was broken.

Assuming that such law exists for the manga, would you, as a commander, risk losing those extremely valuable medical personnel just for the chance to save some foot soldiers that might not even be able to join the military again?

It's sad but war is about being practical, not following morals.
And that's why I'm going with the stand point of throwing men at the enemy until they are defeated idea. It's more practical to keep your casualties low as possible. At a certain point, you'll lose able men to throw at your enemies at a certain point.

Dex-chan lover
And that's why I'm going with the stand point of throwing men at the enemy until they are defeated idea. It's more practical to keep your casualties low as possible. At a certain point, you'll lose able men to throw at your enemies at a certain point.
B : "was this brilliant plan is for us to climb out from the trenches and walk very slowly towards this enemy?"

D : "How do you know that? Its classified information"

B : "It was the plan we used last time and seventeen times before that"

M : "ee...exactly. its what briliant about it, doing things precisely with what we done 18 times before, its the last thing the enemy think us to do. Its just have one tiny problem"

B : "everyone got slaugthered sir"

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
for a pro gamer.. he sure dumb for using flat shield and bouncing IN their trench..
and not catching it with helmet, put it down to ground and put up a shield..
or did author forgot that part?
Pro gamers just have better awareness and reaction time with the mouse/gamepad in a very controlled setting (you're not dying when your character is dead, you're sitting still in the chair, without any physical fatigue of running around, temperature, stress from having your friends dying left and right) are you thinking people will be as good as the character they played? We won't need a military camp to train soldiers if every pro gamer can become an actual godly soldier.

Also wasn't it established from the very first chapter she realized his pro-gamers skills mean no shit in the actual world?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
B : "was this brilliant plan is for us to climb out from the trenches and walk very slowly towards this enemy?"

D : "How do you know that? Its classified information"

B : "It was the plan we used last time and seventeen times before that"

M : "ee...exactly. its what briliant about it, doing things precisely with what we done 18 times before, its the last thing the enemy think us to do. Its just have one tiny problem"

B : "everyone got slaugthered sir"
As much as funny bit it is from blackadder, sadly that's the majority of the strategies in WWI.

Dex-chan lover
Pro gamers just have better awareness and reaction time with the mouse/gamepad in a very controlled setting (you're not dying when your character is dead, you're sitting still in the chair, without any physical fatigue of running around, temperature, stress from having your friends dying left and right) are you thinking people will be as good as the character they played? We won't need a military camp to train soldiers if every pro gamer can become an actual godly soldier.

Also wasn't it established from the very first chapter she realized his pro-gamers skills mean no shit in the actual world?

Being observant is a great trait, maybe that's what she meant.

However, it also helps that at a higher level of play, you are forced to be more observant and learn how to avoid focusing on a single thing in front of you (which is also called "tunnel vision").

This is exactly what everyone did during the fight with the lightning guy. They were too focused on him to notice anything else. Such as a grenadier using mortar to shoot a grenade.

As much as funny bit it is from blackadder, sadly that's the majority of the strategies in WWI.
A common misconception. For a really interesting overview of trench warfare, see Bret Devereaux's 2-part "No Man's Land" posts: https://acoup.blog/2021/09/17/collections-no-mans-land-part-i-the-trench-stalemate/

Briefly: the standard assault strategy of massive artillery bombardments followed closely by infantry were usually successful -- they took territory and inflicted more casualties than they took. The stalemate came in the counter-attack, which was also usually successful.

Dex-chan lover
A common misconception. For a really interesting overview of trench warfare, see Bret Devereaux's 2-part "No Man's Land" posts: https://acoup.blog/2021/09/17/collections-no-mans-land-part-i-the-trench-stalemate/

Briefly: the standard assault strategy of massive artillery bombardments followed closely by infantry were usually successful -- they took territory and inflicted more casualties than they took. The stalemate came in the counter-attack, which was also usually successful.
Did a skim on that article but they still get slaughtered regardless. Not because the amount of bodies they have to sacrifice to take a territory but how many times they had to do it on the same territory. Those numbers piles up when nothing changes.

Users who are viewing this thread