Kuzu Rouninsei, Jinsei ga Tsurai no de Yoru no Onee-san wo Yondemita - Ch. 64 - Scumbag's Capacity

Dex-chan lover
10 hours of sleep on average huh. Little wonder why Makino is so pretty. That beauty sleep is putting in work.

Thank you for the translation (I want Kosuzume to draw more maid outfits please).

Dex-chan lover
LMAO her going “TOXIC MOM?” was priceless

also dang if we think about it Mashiro can’t really accompany Makino at the hospital much since she’s not family

Dex-chan lover
I might be the only person who interpreted the "defeats the purpose" comment as Mashiro still working at delivery health despite Makino suggesting the part-time job so Mashiro could stop working there (or work there less) because in the last chapter, Makino is 1. jealous (of the clients), and 2. worried they would get to see each other less often. So, speaking of Makino's wishes, I guess she is not completely "okay" with it?
She wanted her to keep the part time job so the current setup would remain the same. She likes their current time together and not having the part time job would mean Mashiro would have to work at the shop more. That would mess with the time balance. Now that they have this part time job, Makino is fine again, because she can spend time with Mashiro while they work.

So it's not defeating any purpose. The deal was never for Mashiro to quit working at delivery health or to work there less than normal. That's a misunderstanding of the chapter, that just so happens to once again focus on targeting Mashiro's sex work. The actual purpose was to reestablish this quality time balance that Makino is fine with. She was jealous that clients would get to spend that time with Mashiro that used to be their time. She didn't want change.

And as has been said before, she cares a little but not that much. Not as much as commenters seem to care. No one has said she's "completely fine" with anything. Just that's it's obviously not anywhere near her major concerns right now, and something that's derogatorily mentioned far more in comments than in the actual manga and by the actual people in the relationship. Some people dance around it and others are more directly nasty about it but it's the same effect.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Did people forget Mashiro wanted to KILL HERSELF?

She was absolutely not ok with her life as it was before meeting Makino. She is not as fine with her job as she may appear.

If it wasn't for Makino, Mashiro would likely have bled out on her home alone.

Dex-chan lover
Did people forget Mashiro wanted to KILL HERSELF?

She was absolutely not ok with her life as it was before meeting Makino. She is not as fine with her job as she may appear.

If it wasn't for Makino, Mashiro would likely have bled out on her home alone.
This is a tangent that will lead to a longer discussion but that was not because of her sex work and the story didn't say it was because of her sex work either. Mashiro is happier now, while still working the same job. She has and had plenty of other issues she had to work through and those aren't just because of her job. Anyway, Mashiro uses this job for now. She's not planning to do this work forever. Still, this discussion is unrelated to the discussion about views on her work, comments and Makino's feelings.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This is a tangent that will lead to a longer discussion but that was not because of her sex work and the story didn't say it was because of her sex work either. Mashiro is happier now, while still working the same job. She has and had plenty of other issues she had to work through and those don't get reduced to just being because of her job.
Yeah that arc was a sudden change in tone compared to Makino's lewd comedic hijinks.

I think even the author realized that plot device was way too dark for this story and did their best to gloss over it and carry on with the romance and recovery aspect of the story.

Mashiro's suicidal tendencies never came back up again after that.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah that arc was a sudden change in tone compared to Makino's lewd comedic hijinks.

I think even the author realized that plot device was way too dark for this story and did their best to gloss over it and carry on with the romance and recovery aspect of the story.

Mashiro's suicidal tendencies never came back up again after that.
Yeah that did feel weird at the time. I suspect it will come back again but who knows. It depends on how much longer this story intends to be. If the mom makes a turn for the better next chapter, maybe things will slowly wrap up or continue the "Mashiro inspires Makino to be better" arc.

There's not another antagonistic force that would cause any spiraling from her or Makino, short of work trouble. The author also likes fluff and hasn't ever stuck with drama for longer than a chapter. So we'll see.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
This is a tangent that will lead to a longer discussion but that was not because of her sex work and the story didn't say it was because of her sex work either. Mashiro is happier now, while still working the same job. She has and had plenty of other issues she had to work through and those aren't just because of her job. Anyway, Mashiro uses this job for now. She's not planning to do this work forever. Still, this discussion is unrelated to the discussion about views on her work, comments and Makino's feelings.
It does seem like it contributed, not because of the sexual nature, but because of her essentially playing out a lovable alter ego who is much more together than she actually is and beloved by many. She did this in the tutoring and even in her personal life to an extent, but there's still more of an expectation for her to be "herself" there.

If we think about the stigma of the work as well, even in the US (my personal nationality) but especially in a somewhat more conservative country, this is a pretty big psychological burden as well. You have this secret that, if people find out, could change how everyone in your work etc see you and carry that with you in every interaction. There's a level of constant stress with that sort of secret that most people would not be able to understand.

I think having these three personas has led to her having a fragmented kind of identity where she must be all things to all people while not being sure who she is in reality. This leads to her feeling empty and trying to define herself in relation to her sister, only for the sister to fill the role she wanted with someone else. That is when she became suicidal, as she had nothing to work towards (similar to Makino in the beginning) or define herself by.

Now she's at "I seem to be helping Makino and I could still see this university plan through longer and see what happens before I permanently call it quits," which is not exactly Prime Mental Health, but it gives her some level of purpose to her day to day life in terms of why she's doing things like studying or working to begin with. I think she will probably be feeling a lot of pressure to be "Makino's ideal girlfriend" and mold herself into that entity, even if Makino doesn't have that kind of expectation herself.

Dex-chan lover
It does seem like it contributed, not because of the sexual nature, but because of her essentially playing out a lovable alter ego who is much more together than she actually is and beloved by many. She did this in the tutoring and even in her personal life to an extent, but there's still more of an expectation for her to be "herself" there.

If we think about the stigma of the work as well, even in the US (my personal nationality) but especially in a somewhat more conservative country, this is a pretty big psychological burden as well. You have this secret that, if people find out, could change how everyone in your work etc see you and carry that with you in every interaction. There's a level of constant stress with that sort of secret that most people would not be able to understand.

I think having these three personas has led to her having a fragmented kind of identity where she must be all things to all people while not being sure who she is in reality. This leads to her feeling empty and trying to define herself in relation to her sister, only for the sister to fill the role she wanted with someone else. That is when she became suicidal, as she had nothing to work towards (similar to Makino in the beginning) or define herself by.

Now she's at "I seem to be helping Makino and I could still see this university plan through longer and see what happens before I permanently call it quits," which is not exactly Prime Mental Health, but it gives her some level of purpose to her day to day life in terms of why she's doing things like studying or working to begin with. I think she will probably be feeling a lot of pressure to be "Makino's ideal girlfriend" and mold herself into that entity, even if Makino doesn't have that kind of expectation herself.
I'll keep this short but: yes, you're painting the more nuanced picture that I was alluding to. It's not as simple as "sex work made her suicidal," as you've said and that's all I was saying.

Some of your response is based on some assumptions but I haven't reread the series in a bit so I can't tackle much of that. I don't know that the author was really intending some of these things (even though I'd love if it were).

As for what'll happen moving forward, if this were a different manga, I might expect a more serious take on Mashiro's issues. This manga, however, doesn't seem willing (or prepared) for that kind of discussion. So it still wouldn't surprise me if we don't really delve into Mashiro's psychology again.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
For choosing to read a manga about a girl having a romance with a sex worker, a lot of people here sure hate and judge sex workers...
don't act like by the end of it the sex work is even mentioned ever in any of them that do feature it, most leave at the end because that's how it should be

Double-page supporter
I'll keep this short but: yes, you're painting the more nuanced picture that I was alluding to. It's not as simple as "sex work made her suicidal," as you've said and that's all I was saying.

Some of your response is based on some assumptions but I haven't reread the series in a bit so I can't tackle much of that. I don't know that the author was really intending some of these things (even though I'd love if it were).

As for what'll happen moving forward, if this were a different manga, I might expect a more serious take on Mashiro's issues. This manga, however, doesn't seem willing (or prepared) for that kind of discussion. So it still wouldn't surprise me if we don't really delve into Mashiro's psychology again.
I mostly just like talking about series I'm following, so you're fine there and I wasn't meaning to express disagreement or anything.

I expect that it will be taken seriously, but only in a manga fashion where the mental health issue leads to the person being extra nice and considerate to you (since we "are" the protagonist to some extent) and the only consideration is how to be worthy of them and treat them nicely. Mashiro getting angry, possessive, having mood swings, or the other sorts of behaviors you would encounter in a real life person with depression is unlikely since it would conflict with that type of narrative role.

However, Mashiro figuring out the type of life she wants to have and understanding Makino will accept and be happy with wherever she ends is the type of development I'm expecting. We have to find out if she actually wants to study psychology or if she'd happier with a different major (like her going into education and taking over the family business would wrap up the story nicely once the parents chill out, but it could be something completely unrelated) and that type of thing.

Dex-chan lover
Many of you guys here are missing the point. It's not about whether or not Mashiro should quit sex work, if she's doing it as a temporary thing, the Japanese culture surrounding it, how it might impact her psyche, or how Makino may or may not eventually feel about it further into their relationship. That's all interpretation and speculation. The point is that Mashiro doing delivery health is not canonically an issue for Makino as of right now and anyone who feels like the story doesn't make sense or that Mashiro is letting her girlfriend down because she isn't quitting is projecting a moral stance onto Makino that she simply has not been shown to have. And that stance happens to be judgmental towards sex workers, as if the natural expectation is that Mashiro should now find a "respectable" line of work and she's basically cheating and sleeping around by not doing that. Makino does not feel this way, you do. Draw the line.

Fed-Kun's army
So it's not defeating any purpose. The deal was never for Mashiro to quit working at delivery health or to work there less than normal. That's a misunderstanding of the chapter, that just so happens to once again focus on targeting Mashiro's sex work. The actual purpose was to reestablish this quality time balance that Makino is fine with. She was jealous that clients would get to spend that time with Mashiro that used to be their time. She didn't want change.
I think there are two different things here that overlap. Makino has certainly shown jealousy towards the clients more than once and it's not just because it means less time with Makino herself, but also because they are, well, people other than herself (or that's what I got from her lines, unless the translations are not accurate; I haven't read the raws). So, Mashiro spending 1. little to no time with them and 2. more with Makino seems like what Makino would prefer anyway. So, I'm not exactly convinced that "she didn't want change" or that she DID (though the jealousy makes me lean towards this) and I feel like this is something only the author can (and very likely will) clarify in the future chapters. For now, it just looks like what would be a more favorable compromise to her.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I think there are two different things here that overlap. Makino has certainly shown jealousy towards the clients more than once and it's not just because it means less time with Makino herself, but also because they are, well, people other than herself (or that's what I got from her lines, unless the translations are not accurate; I haven't read the raws). So, Mashiro spending 1. little to no with them and 2. more with Makino seems like what Makino would prefer anyway. So, I'm not exactly convinced that "she didn't want change" or that she DID (though the jealousy makes me lean towards this) and I feel like this is something only the author can (and very likely will) clarify in the future chapters. For now, it just looks like what would be a more favorable compromise to her.
This seems like a likely direction the story could take, and jealousy is obviously a good source of conflict. It's a bit ambiguous judging by the translation. The problem is the readers who think Mashiro has already broken some kind of trust or promise to Makino as if she would be naturally expected to quit delivery health upon starting a relationship, when Makino hasn't even brought it up as an issue.

Dex-chan lover
I responded to someone initially but I deleted it because I kind of what to move on from this discussion. But I can't delete comments so here we go.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
This seems like a likely direction the story could take, and jealousy is obviously a good source of conflict. It's a bit ambiguous judging by the translation. The problem is the readers who think Mashiro has already broken some kind of trust or promise to Makino as if she would be naturally expected to quit delivery health upon starting a relationship, when Makino hasn't even brought it up as an issue.
I think only a couple of people in this thread have actually said things like this, while there are more of us discussing other aspects of the story like character motivations or plot speculation (which is, in fact, the point of a chapter discussion thread) or else questioning how it would work when it's a situation they've never experienced and aren't sure how should be handled.

I would certainly agree the stereotypes about people in the sex industry being less moral or trustworthy are a type of harmful prejudice and can speak from experience that the people I've met were not any different from other people in that regard, though this would also have been my expectation had I not met any of them.

Personally I've been trying to stay out of this discussion, partially because I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, and partially due to that I try not to participate in political or social issue discussions online. I've come to see these internet discussions as a kind of endless void of suffering due to the amount of users on the internet. Maybe analyzing characters in fringe manga is much more purposeless, but at least it's a fun diversion for me in between doing other things. I can't speak for other people, but for me that's the cause of what I've focused on.

Dex-chan lover
I think there are two different things here that overlap. Makino has certainly shown jealousy towards the clients more than once and it's not just because it means less time with Makino herself, but also because they are, well, people other than herself...
This is a good point. Based on what we've read, it's reasonable to suspect that Makino would be at least a little happier if Mashiro weren't doing sex work. But we've seen no indication that Mashiro feels the same way about it, and Makino's mild jealousy hasn't been a significant problem for either of them.

Dex-chan lover
Sure is a lot of assumptions and preaching here.

Pretty normal to assume that when both of them get jobs together and they end up in a relationship together that would mean that Mashiro would stop selling sex.

But ultimately this is a comedy and I would assume most people read it for the wacky antics and not for some sort of sosial commentary. You people are taking it way too serious.

Users who are viewing this thread