My Girlfriend's Not Here Today - Vol. 5 Ch. 22 - Out of Reach

Dex-chan lover
Nanase is being perfectly normal and trying to include her girlfriend in her life by taking her along to the college fair.

That being said Yuni and Nanase are a bad match and should break up. Yuni needs to work on her self and focus on growing as a person.

Moreover, she is still kind of pathetic. She still shows no remorse or thinks about the feelings of others. I think the story would have been better with some character growth at this stage.

Fed-Kun's army
I feel so bad for Fuuko honestly, I hope things will only get better for her from here on out, she really just wanted to be loved, poor soul. I genuinely hope Yuni comes back to her soon, our best girl Fuuko deserves it.

Aggregator gang
I feel like I've seen Yuki's dress before. Has Fuuko ever worn something resembling that or am I mixing it up with a bunch of different manga?

Also they need to break up for real. Yuni wants to be the center of someone's attention and Nanase can't give that to her. And I might need to reread a few older chapters but Yuni hardly has interests beyond having a girlfriend. Some of the other comments here point out that it's Nanase planning the outing again, but does Yuni ever plan one? Does she ever propose a date, or share an interest with Nanase? Yuni goes along with Nanase's plans, but hardly has any of her own, then just doesn't admit when she isn't having a good time. Not that Yuni's a bad person for that, she's still a teenager with plenty of room to grow, but at this point she might want to hold off on being in a dedicated romantic relationship and figure herself out.

Dex-chan lover
LOL isi t common to measure babies weight in 'grams' but idk if many ppl would be interested in visiting a friends baby unrequired crush aside

Dex-chan lover
I love this so much. I'm thoroughly on board with whatever the author has in store.

Thank you for the translation.

Where? In this specific chapter? Those are IMHO very real problems a person at that age may have.

She is seemingly surrounded by people with drive and direction when she doesn't feel like she has any. Those are things that are depressing and overwhelming, even in your 20s, 30s, and beyond, let alone for a teenager. Add that on top of her low self-esteem, and she is just crumbling inside. This, by itself, has nothing to do with Nanase or the other girl - those are her inner demons.

I think most of this chapter's distress is caused by Nanase. She knows that Yuni was always jealous of Yuki. They've barely got back together, yet she is pulling this kind of "surprise" on her? And basically, ignores her most of the day after that? Everything Yuni did before aside, this is not a good situation she was put in. Add to that her building despondency and you have a recipe for an absolutely miserable time. If it was me, I would just excuse myself and go home.

Nanase sees that Yuni is in distress, yet chooses to continue the tour. That continues the trend (not sure if intentionally by the author) of her putting "me" over "us". It's probably not a unique opportunity, so maybe she should have gone home this time, or at least taken Yuni aside, talked it over, and asked what's up.

I'm really not sure what Nanase wants from this relationship. She should have figured out that they are an awful match by now - Nanase needs someone who has their own thing going on too, so they can meet from time to time and both will be fine with it. Yuni is not that at all - she is very codependent and craves affection. If Nanase leaves her to her own devices, she will spiral again in no time. Is it healthy? No. But she decided to be with that girl, even after all the shit, so she better put some more effort into it.

And we, as a reader, also know that Yuki is not just a "best friend". It's mostly unrelated because the characters are not aware. But we can't brush it over like she is there with no ill intentions at all.
Well put. I agree with pretty much all of it. It's hard (at least for me) not to sympathize (hell even empathize) with Yuki in this situation. And I say this especially in relation to not feeling like you have enough ambition and motivation compared to your peers, who come off as feeling like they have everything figured out (even if they might not in actuality).

Dex-chan lover
"Nutrition? What's that?"

YUNI YOU FUCKING DUMB BITCH
maybe she either said it in english or it's an uncommon word but i feel like nutrition would come up in health class even in middle school lol. but she wasn't exactly some model student to begin with as far as i remember

Damn two whole chapters without Fuuka(outside of the final page here)

Mangka is cookin up something good here I can feel it

What’s the lore on fuuka and the last page? Was that an older girl she liked that got married? I vaguely remember that being a hinted at plot point
the girl I liked who has never ever shown signs of liking me back had a healthy child with someone else!? I am LITERALLY vomiting.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if Yuni, Yuki, or both of them are supposed to be thinking the "-why not stop being her girlfriend?" line on the second to last page?

I don't know how it will exactly happen, but by the end of the series, I think Nanase and Yuki will have hooked up, and Yuni and Fuuko will have gotten back together.

Dex-chan lover
gotta say...Nanase is as dense as a log, while Yuni is an insecure mess. It's frustrating in a way, but I've come this far, and I'm starting to just enjoy the toxicity of this all that I'll just let the author cook :clap:

Dex-chan lover
The last page came so suddenly it made me laugh. It's even better because it's been a while since the pregnant childhood crush was mentioned.

I don't think Yuni's envy of Nanase and Yuki's relationship is completely without basis. Yuni might be Nanase's girlfriend, but their relationship is superficial compared to what Nanase and Yuki have as friends. That said, Yuni does not seem to fully understand the nuance here. I think Yuni observes that Nanase is closer with Yuki than with her, and extrapolates that this difference is inherent between these two types of relationships. Romance burns hot but is unstable, while a friendship is calm and reliable. Given that the only thing she gets out of being Nanase's girlfriend is physical intimacy and a break from utter loneliness, I get why she might buy into this idea.

So I don't think Yuni's feelings are entirely unreasonable and unhealthy. She does excessively seek validation from her partner fully prioritizing her to cope with her insecurities; that is part of why being with Fuuko was so intoxicating. But she also yearns for a connection where she and her partner trust and understand each other, like Nanase and Yuki, and that part is quite normal in my opinion. It seems like she is really afraid of being vulnerable, and that is part of what has prevented her relationship with Nanase from deepening. During the conversation about their future, she immediately turned to labeling herself as pathetic, and didn't give the other two a chance to reassure her.

Well, no doubt Yuni feels extra insecure around Yuki, since unlike Yuni, Yuki can speak her mind in most situations.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
So, Yuni is still mentally unstable, Nanase hasn't learned anything, and Yuki is still a bitch...
And Fuuko is about to explose.
This is gonna be lit.
Thanks for the chapter!
Also Yuni's mum is hot.

Dex-chan lover
I'm just here for the dumpster fire. And I've said it multiple times, I don't like ANY of the characters in this manga and have a feeling that's the whole point of this work. 😆

If I want characters I'll root for I'll just read something else. 😁

Dex-chan lover
I feel like I've seen Yuki's dress before. Has Fuuko ever worn something resembling that or am I mixing it up with a bunch of different manga?

dunno if the author is repeating outfits but a thin strapped/sleeveless dress over a long sleeved top does seem like it'd be pretty common/done before

Users who are viewing this thread