Sousou no Frieren - Ch. 121 - Highway Monsters

Dex-chan lover
Weird magical item. Of course she'll accept.

Well, that explains the onions.

Nah, she would hesitate. She is not suicidal, since that would mean she can't wait a decade before revisiting a city and able to expect a new grimoire. She knows the advantage of her immortality full-well, afterall.
But if it was a 99% chance of a mimic, we already know she'd go for it.

Dex-chan lover
Probably internal strife I’m guessing. We know through Denken and Gluck that the Empire has constant political conflict. It was already bad before the demon king was defeated as Weise is a city of exiled nobles who lost in power struggles. Without the existential threat of the Demon King, I could imagine the Empire’s unity fraying even more since then.
With the current state of the country, I bet it's close to getting in a civil war. 80 years is enough time to get people, who hasn't experienced the demon war, into power.

I'm curious why it hasn't happened now. Somebody trying to keep it together until they find a new direction the empire can take or what?

Dex-chan lover
"I am afraid to." - "That is a fair argument."

"Here is the nightmare-inducing jar for your reward."

the dialogue of this story is so damn effortlessly hilarious lol XD

the Empire sure is impressive. Also, is that statue her teacher?

anw, thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
if you presented a button to frieren that had a 99% chance of instantly killing her and a 1% chance to give her a grimoire that would play goose honks at random times, she'd press that button no hesitation
Hahaha! Nope. That would be a 99% chance of no more grimoires!

Dex-chan lover
Frieren hates onions and doesn't like eating them, but Fern forces her too.
So Frieren is having nightmares about onions.
For Frieren, onions are apparently scarier than monsters, demons, and mimics.
Eating onions every day increases bone density. Fern is preventing development of osteoporosis in Frieren.

Dex-chan lover
With the current state of the country, I bet it's close to getting in a civil war. 80 years is enough time to get people, who hasn't experienced the demon war, into power.

I'm curious why it hasn't happened now. Somebody trying to keep it together until they find a new direction the empire can take or what?
Wirbel did mention that demon attacks have amped up recently. I could imagine a situation where the government got too lax during the relative peace leading to corruption and institutional weakening. As a result, once the demons started their assault again, they were unready for it and didn’t have the enough resources to both defend the frontiers and maintain internal security.

Dex-chan lover
Frieren taking on a job so she can be rewarded with the nightmare vision goggles

Dex-chan lover
Wirbel did mention that demon attacks have amped up recently. I could imagine a situation where the government got too lax during the relative peace leading to corruption and institutional weakening. As a result, once the demons started their assault again, they were unready for it and didn’t have the enough resources to both defend the frontiers and maintain internal security.
If they amped up recently then there's a high chance somebody is also playing interference to get it so bad at this point. If the higher ups are in a mess and they are having difficulty maintaining security of their lands then it's a matter of time until something breaks and it will be the end of the empire.

Users who are viewing this thread